MFA now asking compulsory proof of funds before allowing to marry a mighty thai

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All the the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs does is verify the translation of the affirmation of permit to marry is correct. They approve nothing related to marriage.

In this case, how is it possible for them to emanate such an order and having a EU consulate to diligently applying it, and even publishing the news on their official website?

As i previously wrote, probably someone would be able to contact a RELIABLE source inside the MFA to clarify a bit?

Maybe a lawyer or an agent that gets in touch with them regularly, as if anyone else try to do the same by let's say giving them a call or one hundred, i am sure that he will get a different reason and the opposite of it every single time....

On 01/06/2017 at 0:37 PM, Mangostin said:

An official website from a branch of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (italian consulate in Bangkok), it's now warning that the thai Mistery of Faranging Affairs (MFA or somethings like that), will NOT let anyone marry their new found missus, unless they can prove enough funds

That's not what it says as far as I can tell. I can see no mention of having to have sufficient funds, nor of any hint of refusing to give permission to marry.

22 minutes ago, BsBs said:

Any fake  document perfectly works ! Never hesitate to provide any stupid document that they would ask <3

People were usually allowed to a workaround by the use of self-certification, not this time though.

What you are suggesting it's extremely dangerous, the last italian which did that and i know of, was the heir of the Agnelli's family (the tycoon family which own FIAT), if i remember that right, he just changed by himself the date on his passport of a few days because he was too lazy to follow the regular channels, the "allowed until"' date, they banged him up to prison and he died there few years ago, be careful! 

At the Thai Embassy in HK a few years ago, they wanted this:

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA-O (THAI SPOUSE)

Required documents are:

1. One completed and signed visa application form
2. One recent passport-sized photograph (3.5 x 4.5cm)
3. Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)
4. Copy of Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number date of entry
5. Copy of Marriage Certificate, Passport and Identity Card of Thai spouse

(Copies of documents must be signed by Thai Spouse)
6. Letter from Thai spouse
7. Bank Statement (at least 400,000 Baht) - must be able to show it in the Thai bank for 3 months or more.

Edited by apalink_thailand

On 06/01/2017 at 1:13 PM, billd766 said:

Actually it is called the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I did a copy and paste of the Italian that you posted and it came out like this.

"Since September 2016 the Thai Foreign Ministry strictly requires a relative income certification of the Italian citizen betrothed / a. This means that, upon request of no impediment to marriage, the Italian citizen is a resident is not a resident must provide proof of their economic status with C.U. or equivalent certificate.

You will not release the security clearance without appropriate documentation relative to income, as self-certification is considered valid only towards the Italian public administration.

The required document to be presented to the authorities' competent Thai is issued by the Embassy in sight (except in cases of request for verification with the municipality of residence than self-certified). "

This letter only seems to apply to Italian citizens as it came from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Whether it applies to all nationalities or just to Italians is not clear.

Guess the Thai Govt watches the news and realises that the Italian economy is about to tank. Marrying a soon to be destitute spaghetti eater would be a huge loss of face :)

• Like 1

This is all very odd, and we are left guessing as to the real situation. This is my guess ...

Somehow, the requirements for a Non Imm O visa/extension of stay on the basis of marriage (which are set by the MFA) got mixed up with the affirmation of freedom to marry process. Who knows how. The Italian announcement was an effort to explain the confused understanding of a senior official at the Italian consulate. If so, Italians wishing to marry Thais have an additional hurdle to clear. No mentally challenged senior official is going to lose face by admitting that he misinterpreted the rules.

• Like 1

Just got married at Bangrak last week, got a "freedom to marry" certificate at the Dutch embassy AND had to give proof of income that included my title in the company. This was in the form of a letter from my employer and had to be translated and legalized at some Thai government department along with the "freedom to marry" letter from the embassy. The letter of income was scrutinized at Bangrak and did not have the amount in Bath, this was calculated and inserted into the document and the marriage was finalized. It seems that this proof of income was important and without it the marriage could not proceed. To conclude the OP is correct without proof of income the Thai authorities will not marry a foreigner and Thai.

9 minutes ago, Nokawou said:

Just got married at Bangrak last week, got a "freedom to marry" certificate at the Dutch embassy AND had to give proof of income that included my title in the company. This was in the form of a letter from my employer and had to be translated and legalized at some Thai government department along with the "freedom to marry" letter from the embassy. The letter of income was scrutinized at Bangrak and did not have the amount in Bath, this was calculated and inserted into the document and the marriage was finalized. It seems that this proof of income was important and without it the marriage could not proceed. To conclude the OP is correct without proof of income the Thai authorities will not marry a foreigner and Thai.

Can this be something from this local Amphoer?

So far i know the Amphoer can not implement extra conditions to register a marriage on it's own.

And according the government guidelines there are no extra conditions implemented to register the marriage.

When I got married 2008 the Finnish Embassy wanted proof of income.
As I am self employed I wrote an income statement letter and had it contra signed by my Danish partner, accepted without questioning.

This is not an embassy rule, they are instructed to ask for income verification from MFA.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's standard practice in the Netherlands. To get an affirmation to marry a foreigner I have to show  sufficient funds, which means that my regular income must be at least at the dutch minimum wage level.

Interestingly enough there is no such requirement if I marry someone in the Netherlands itself.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Crossy said:

Interesting that this is only found on the Italian consulate's website.

Do you have direct experience (or know someone) who has actually been refused?

I'm sure this would be hot news if it were actually happening. Anything on the MFA's own website?

@ Crossy, this is not new and already many years done.

When I got hitched, after living with my girl for 18 years, in 2002 I had to show a form from my Embassy that I was free to marry and, among other things, my income at my local Amphur.

Embassy did not fill in my income and at the Amphur the registrar asked "no money?" at which I answered " yes, that's right" and everybody got a good laugh.:cheesy:

We got married right away, income was no problem.

• Like 1

When i married a Thai thirty years ago proof of income was required .The info on marriage from the UK embassy detailed the requirements including proof of income ..

I did all the paperwork myself but it was so time consuming i would recommend using an agent .

On Friday, January 06, 2017 at 5:08 PM, thedemon said:

Difficult foriatcone to seeithothe Ministry of Foreign Affairs could make an order suchalian low as this or why they would.

The Affirmation of marital status is required by local offices before they will register a marriage. That document is either issued directly by the foreigner's embassy in BKK or issued by a government office in the foreigner's country then endorsed by their embassy as being true and correct.

The only function of the MFA is to certify that the consular stamp and signature on that document is genuine.

From my experience when a foreign document such as this needs to be certified for official use in Thailand, it can be either done in the above manner or else it can be certified in the foreign country and authenticated by the Thai embassy in that country. In that case it doesn't involve the MFA in BKK.

Yes u r right. Can be done the other way round with Apostille stamp In the country of origin.

Italian government Is since long time In a diabolic way of thinking.

They could do this to discover Italian people that lives or want to live abroad and have foreign bank accounts. For Italian tax low each citizen should declear any account or property or Income abroad and pay tax there, of course combined with the eventual Italian Income to apply the progressive growing %.

In this way they can obtain Individual Info and prosecute by low with hard fines. In the past they have been canceled the Italians Inscribed In the foreign resident list of each municipality In this way they couldn't even vote at election and had to show up for the readmit procedures.

The mafia mentality Is In the Italian politicians mind, Italian people are under a dirty criminal regime covered by democratic smiling face.... 

10 hours ago, rct99q said:

I get the feeling the Italian Government is wanting to know that it is indeed a reIml marriage and not one for money. That it is in fact a genuine marriage and that one of its citizens is not taking advantage of marrying a Thai for financial gain.

They don't care about genuine or not. They want know personal financial Informations about accounts or hiding money/incomes after a huge nr of people expatriated. The nr of Italians that left Italy has abundantly overcome the Immigrants......can you Immagine...???:shock1::post-4641-1156694005::post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's standard practice in the Netherlands. To get an affirmation to marry a foreigner I have to show  sufficient funds, which means that my regular income must be at least at the dutch minimum wage level.
Interestingly enough there is no such requirement if I marry someone in the Netherlands itself.

True. When I married my wife more than 20 years ago outside Thailand, the only requirement beside the "free to marry" certificate of both was to register the marriage at the Thai embassy of my home country.
Financial proof was requested for issuing the marriage visa to travel abroad

10 hours ago, Nokawou said:

Confirm,  had same experience

Got married 2 weeks ago, also needed proof of income for get affirmation letter of permit to marry from the embassy. I am from EU country.

5 minutes ago, eddiev said:

has to prove he has the set income per month,not just say he has.

They already made clear, that self certification with an embassy stamp on top, are no longer acceptable.

If it keeps going that way, soon the Thai MFA will start pretending all your saving/income to be dropped at their desk, so they can check are real, perhaps they could call it "MFA Sin Sod"....

2 hours ago, Mangostin said:

They already made clear, that self certification with an embassy stamp on top, are no longer acceptable.

If it keeps going that way, soon the Thai MFA will start pretending all your saving/income to be dropped at their desk, so they can check are real, perhaps they could call it "MFA Sin Sod"....

I wonder if Nigerians will have to confirm income and where from.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Nothing new, because needed to show proof of income 7 years ago too when married. Just a normap document of the embassy that  certified you income.

Am a Western Europan national by birth.

Not needed for me 10 years ago.

Only freedom to marry cert'.  UK

• Like 2