Video: Hunt on for foreigners who disrespected Thai flag

webfact

Video: Hunt on for foreigners who disrespected Thai flag

1p.jpg

Picture: Daily News 

BANGKOK: -- A hunt is on for two foreign tourists who disrespected the Thai flag in Krabi.

Netizens demanded action after two foreign tourists were seen ripping down a number of Thai flags hanging at a shopping area.

They were caught on CCTV. They appear to be upset about something. One grabs a flag leaving it barely hanging. Then the other rips down four flags leaving them on the ground, reports Daily News.

He then walks over them as his mate laughs.

Sangop Jansing chief of the Krabi Police said that disrespecting the Thai flag in this way carries both a prison sentence and the possibility of a fine too. He said he had ordered that the men be found and prosecuted.

He said it happened in the Maharat area of the southern town near the old Maharat movie theater.

The footage was posted on the page of @Anake Saranath. Many Thai people online were up in arms about the disrespect and demanded immediate action to find those responsible.

According to the clock on the CCTV the incident occurred around 3.29am early Saturday morning.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-09

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have no sympathy for these two when they are caught and really do hope they do time for this.

For anyone thinking this is a trivial matter, try doing this to your own national flag in your home country.......................;)

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Stupid action by that foreigner, if your in a country at least show some respect. Some people just have no brain. 

YOU are correct about how to act in a foreign country.

However, if you were in my home country you could spit,  stomp on,  and burn my countries flag in public and you would have the protection of the law for your actions.

It's called freedom of expression/speech.

If a country does not allow for  that then  anyone breaking the law in a foreign country  should realize the potential  gravity of his actions.

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

YOU are correct about how to act in a foreign country.

However, if you were in my home country you could spit,  stomp on,  and burn my countries flag in public and you would have the protection of the law for your actions.

It's called freedom of expression/speech.

If a country does not allow for  that then  anyone breaking the law in a foreign country  should realize the potential  gravity of his actions.

In my country they don't care much about the flag either... not a nation of flag wavers and saluting the flag and so on.  But it seems logical to me to respect an other countries flag. I would not disrespect a flag in any country. 

5 minutes ago, thai006 said:

most falang  who come to thailand no have brain 

You obviously haven't met Trans yet......:whistling:......But I accept you posted "most", though I do not agree with that...

I have a farang posting on forums here that I am a "draft dodger" (hope you know what that means)....Totally untrue and I hope the law will take care of that false statement here...Yes, he is one of your "no brain farangs"..

Hope these guys are caught and punished.

And even in countries that allow flag desecration, they allow it only with a flag that YOU own.  You can't go around attacking flags that belong to other people.

3 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I will have no sympathy for these two when they are caught and really do hope they do time for this.

For anyone thinking this is a trivial matter, try doing this to your own national flag in your home country.......................;)

I'll tell you what, chrisinth, I do not  like  what the KKK  (Ku Klux Klan)   does in the USA at all.     I detest the organization and what they stand for.       I do, however, support their right to have their beliefs  and express them within the limits of the law.

Who would you like to have in charge of beliefs and expression?

I hope this is not to philosophical for you.

I won't bother to ask from which country you hail.

Manager Online says the 2 youths were arrested on Sunday night. The culprits were a 20 and 18 year-old, both reported as being Italian (although their transliterated names don't sound very Italian?).

They're apologising profusely, saying they were drunk. Thai online comment seems pretty heated.

Police said they will charge them with damage to property and desecrating the national flag.

image.jpg

Edited by katana

9 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

The guys should not have done what they did.

very silly of them..

Most people in Thailand don't know the meaning of the word respect.

"Most people in Thailand don't know the meaning of the word respect."

That claim means  most   residing foreigners, visitors, as in tourists,  and Thai people do not know the meaning of respect.   Correct?

I think regardless of how overly nationalistic Thais in general are they have every right to feel aggrieved about this. I know i would be pretty miffed if tourists did the same to my nation's flags. 

I just hope that once found these guys get a sensible punishment (ie a fine and kow towing to some rtp bigwig).

But personally i can't see how politicians / uniformed services disrespect their nation's flag and honour any less everytime they take kickbacks at the expense of the state.

Hope common sense is applied here. I guess we'll see

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

"Most people in Thailand don't know the meaning of the word respect."

That claim means  most   residing foreigners, visitors, as in tourists,  and Thai people do not know the meaning of respect.   Correct?

That is what he writes.. not sure its what he means:smile:

Seriously looking at that, a lot of tourists would not be aware that they were Thai flags. For starters they are hanging the wrong way around and to anyone else apart from a Thai , probably look like shopping mall decoration.

Just now, Thaiwrath said:

First thing I learnt when I visited many years ago was respect.

It is not asking too much, is it ? 

Problem for tourists on the beer is they think they can do their shit here and be treated as their own country would treat them.....Bad mistake...

32 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

In my homecountry it would be called vandalism, just like ripping down any other flag. It sure wouldn't be on video at youtube. We do that only for serious crimes like robbery or murder.

Just now, cmsally said:

Seriously looking at that, a lot of tourists would not be aware that they were Thai flags. For starters they are hanging the wrong way around and to anyone else apart from a Thai , probably look like shopping mall decoration.

They may be daft but I think we all know what a Thai flag looks like...The Union Jack looks like it will hang any way, but it don't....

2 minutes ago, cmsally said:

true. and i see 2 clowns (drunk maybe?) doing a vandalist job... i do NOT see 2 westerners disrespecting the THAI NATION. and as written above, i'm soooooooooooooooooo fed up with the word RESPECT around here! thousands of people die in traffic with NO action being taken except for panels and experts and crackdowns and blah blah blah. there is NO respect here for life. my thai friends don't care about flags being torn down. they care about SAFETY for their family and friends. but then it's of course much easier for the powers that be to go after 2 idiotic farlangs and create a fake feel of respect/safety/dignity :mad:

4 minutes ago, transam said:

They may be daft but I think we all know what a Thai flag looks like...The Union Jack looks like it will hang any way, but it don't....

We all know what a Thai flag looks like but I doubt the average tourist does. There would be a large percentage mistaking it for the Dutch flag.

3 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Actually as a Brit I should probably get aggrieved at all the mugs,cushions, duvet covers, ......... with the overly used Union Jack. !!

Why, UK flag is something most of us like to show anywhere...Well I do....

b0212.gif