Obama surprises Vice President Biden with Medal of Freedom

webfact

Obama surprises Vice President Biden with Medal of Freedom

By Jeff Mason

REUTERS

r5.jpg

U.S. President Barack Obama (R) delivers remarks at a tribute to Vice President Joe Biden (L) in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., January 12, 2017. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama surprised Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday by awarding him the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction in an emotional White House ceremony that celebrated their partnership over eight years in office.

"This is an extraordinary man," Obama said of his friend and running mate at a surprise ceremony with staff, family and friends of the vice president.

"For the past eight years, he could not have been a more devoted or effective partner in the progress that we've made."

Biden, who was unaware that the ceremony would take place, became visibly moved when Obama said he would bestow on him the highest civil honour in the United States.

It will be the last such award that Obama gives before he and Biden leave office on Jan. 20.

"I had no inkling," Biden, 74, said after receiving the medal. "I get a lot of credit I don't deserve," he said, proceeding to give a roughly 20-minute impromptu speech thanking Obama and honouring the extended Biden family.

Biden and Obama became close friends during their time in the White House. Biden was a U.S. senator from Delaware when Obama chose him to be his running mate in his 2008 presidential campaign.

The vice president told an anecdote about Obama offering to help the Bidens financially during Biden's son Beau's illness. Beau Biden died of brain cancer at age 46 in 2015.

First lady Michelle Obama and the Obamas' daughters, Malia and Sasha, also attended the ceremony.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-13

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Biden got the medal of freedom, for what???

For mostly keeping his mouth shut for the last few years. For a while there, it was gaff after gaff and the man was a walking joke. I am impressed that they finally shut him down.

Edited by Ulysses G.

there is a lot of mutual 'didn't we do well'?  going on when, in fact, I believe Obama is a nice guy but WHAT did he achieve in 8 years?  good marks for an economy inherited from the disaster Bush but what else?

It seems to me they are self-congratulating about not completely 'mucking-up' but that's hardly cause for great celebrations is it?  I'd give them a 'C' at best.  

Vice President Biden has been one of the most effective  Vice Presidents in the history of the USA. He is a man of compassion and empathy  who truly understands people. It is unfortunate that the usual bitter  disrespectful comments are made without any consideration of  how much the man accomplished as  vice president. He was able to muster the bipartisan support of some of the most senior of GOP senators and he championed  people who would have otherwise  been pushed around and forgotten by the system.

I don't know what it is with so many people that they have to be so ignorant and rude. VP Biden oversaw the $787 billion economic stimulus package which has been described as a success.

He also used his senate support to push through an arms reduction treaty with Russia.More importantly, he was an advocate for US veterans and was instrumental in reducing the loss of US personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The USA was fortunate to have a man of his integrity and work ethic in the position. He was the  man who provided balance to the President. 

15 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

there is a lot of mutual 'didn't we do well'?  going on when, in fact, I believe Obama is a nice guy but WHAT did he achieve in 8 years?  good marks for an economy inherited from the disaster Bush but what else?

It seems to me they are self-congratulating about not completely 'mucking-up' but that's hardly cause for great celebrations is it?  I'd give them a 'C' at best.  

During the Obama years, 16 million new jobs were created, 20 million+ Americans obtained medical insurance,  saved the US auto industry, ended the war in Afghanistan, improved the US  image abroad and restored confidence in the USA, ended torture of  US detainees. tightened sanctions on Russia and Iran, increased aid to Veterans and best of all avoid scandal.

Obama will be considered by historians as one of the USA's best presidents, despite the  raw hatred a small number of people have for the man.

9 minutes ago, uptheos said:

"For the past eight years, he could not have been a more devoted or effective partner in the progress that we've made."

What progress and what did he do?

He saved the  US  economy which was experiencing the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

During the Obama years, 16 million new jobs were created, 20 million+ Americans obtained medical insurance,  saved the US auto industry, ended the war in Afghanistan, improved the US  image abroad and restored confidence in the USA, ended torture of  US detainees. tightened sanctions on Russia and Iran, increased aid to Veterans and best of all avoid scandal.

Obama will be considered by historians as one of the USA's best presidents, despite the  raw hatred a small number of people have for the man.

Whoa there Buddy... no 'raw hatred' from me I think he was a decent and nice guy who, regretfully, under achieved despite your obvious devotion. I'm hoping for closer cooperation with Russia not sanctions and as for Iran?  really???  you forget that plane load of Billions of dollars?  

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Well apart from the economic mess it took him less than 2 years to finally get the guy who masterminded the biggest single attack on the USA since Pearl Harbor whereas the previous incumbent who had 7 years to accomplish that task informed us towards the end of his tenure he wasn't even thinking of Bin Laden.

For mostly keeping his mouth shut for the last few years. For a while there, it was gaff after gaff and the man was a walking joke. I am impressed that they finally shut him down.

If Biden is a "walking a joke".The next President would get Purple Heart , medal of honour and every other award. But I'm sure The Russian Pres will give him some award for furthering his country's ambitions

I think Obamas team did a good job propping the US up through hard times, but I don't think Joe Biden deserves this parting award. But props to Obama for recognizing his staff for their achievements unlike some narcissistic lunatic that is already taking false credit for his "achievements".

I guess Kracker Jacks must be offering Freedom Medals along with Nobel prizes. 

Interestingly most people don't know who Joe Biden is even if you dropped his name.

So anybody know what the Veep did all those years? Most invisible VP evah.

Obama regime arrogance knows no bounds!

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Let's wait and see what the historians write - they just might not share your view. Many Vets I know certainly wouldn't agree with you. i

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Vice President Biden has been one of the most effective  Vice Presidents in the history of the USA. He is a man of compassion and empathy  who truly understands people. It is unfortunate that the usual bitter  disrespectful comments are made without any consideration of  how much the man accomplished as  vice president. He was able to muster the bipartisan support of some of the most senior of GOP senators and he championed  people who would have otherwise  been pushed around and forgotten by the system.

I don't know what it is with so many people that they have to be so ignorant and rude. VP Biden oversaw the $787 billion economic stimulus package which has been described as a success.

He also used his senate support to push through an arms reduction treaty with Russia.More importantly, he was an advocate for US veterans and was instrumental in reducing the loss of US personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The USA was fortunate to have a man of his integrity and work ethic in the position. He was the  man who provided balance to the President. 

the $787 billion economic stimulus package which has been described as a success.

LOL.

Is that the "shovel ready" program of infrastructure repair Obama was shouting about till it didn't actually happen?

Oh well, there is a certain company that used to make solar panels that did do well out of it though. Pity they failed.

I guess a few million people didn't think it was a success. They voted for Trump.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I like Biden a lot and surely if he had been nominated he would have beaten trump. 

I much prefer him to his boss and think he is basically a good guy, but all those gaffes were perfect for political ads and the kiss of death for any presidential campaign. The Medal of Freedom will have to do.

Just now, geriatrickid said:

Then they should have let him run for president, instead of the crooked little witch, who did nothing except line her foundations pockets and watched Chris Stevenson get massacred! Certainly no work ethic or integrity

Sounds like a terrible error, on the dems part