bangkok bank

i just went to change my 5 month fixed deposit to an 11 month fixed deposit and was told that i need to supply  proof of address again from the local ampur

i did this when i first opened my 5 month fixed deposit if fact every time i change account they ask for proof of address from the ampur even though they know me

is that a regulation written in stone or are they just being awkward, even my uk bank dont keep asking for that every time i swing accounts, just to add its the same member of staff .

In all 'developed' banking countries, you have a single customer ID where all your personal information is linked to, i.e. address, know-your-customer details, passport / ID details etc.

Not in Thailand. Every account is standalone and worst of all linked to the opening branch. Therefore, opening an account / switching accounts is always the same procedure as if they had never seen you before.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Must depend upon branch.  I only every provided my address (without any proof) when I first opened an account with them.  All subsequent account openings have simply used my details registered with them.

You might consider Krung Sri (and possibly others) as an alternative.  Krung Sri puts all fixed deposits in a single passbook, unlike Bangkok Bank which issues a separate passbook for each deposit.

Finally, you consider yourself fortunate to have been able to open the special fixed deposit account.  The rules say these are only for Thai nationals.

It's just your branch.  It's kinda like how some branches demand a work permit to open an account although a work permit is not required.

For several years I used Bangkok Bank fixed accounts until the interest rate dropped too low....around 4 or 5 fixed accounts t the same branch.  When one fixed account would expire I would just roll the funds over into the best fixed account promotion at the time.  Gosh, I had a 15 month fixed, a 11 month fixed, a 7 month fix,  a 4 month fixed, etc., at different times.   Now when I say roll-over your old account is closed and the funds transferred to a branch new fixed account with all the associated new account paperwork.  But the Bangkok Bank branch I used (the one in Bangkok/Chaeng Wattana immigration building) never asked me for a certificate of residence, but I will admit I always handed them my Yellow Book when opening any new account......sometimes they made a copy of it...sometimes they didn't....but they never asked for any residence certificate.   A Yellow Book is issued by the local amphur and is basically saying you have a residence there.