Who picked up that pick-up? Accident scene beggars belief

webfact

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I was riding a a passenger in a vehicle in Saudi Arabia some years ago.

Two Saudis in a pickup wentpast us at high speed.

They were changing lanes and somehow  went on to the grass center devider.

When they hit the grass their pickup truck went into a somersault and flipped up into the air.

Their vwhicle went past our vehicle  at high speed at least a meter off the ground and came down on another vehicle's rear.

They were both killed and their pickup ended up on top of the other vehicle.

I have seen it happen, so I know for a fact a vehicle involved in an accident can go airborne and come down on another vehicle.

A car went through the top of a tree right opposite my house and landed facing back the way it had come, just missing the house it landed in front of. Thais somehow manage to defy the laws of physics when they drive. As an aside, the driver of this particular car had let his insurance lapse the day before.

4 hours ago, djayz said:

Speed is more than likely the cause of this accident, and many others like it. 

That combined with poor driving skills and eventually other distractions (phone, TV, passengers, etc.)  is a deadly combination. 

Speed comes under the heading of Poor Driving Skills.. This is Thailand, so Poor driving skills over rides everything else.  Thais just do not know how to drive.  all same buffalo.

Speed, speed, speed.

I was fourth in line stopped at an intersection when a Honda Civic speeding left to right across the intersection hit the front tire of a full sized station wagon at the front of the line and actually flipped the station wagon in the air about ten feet.  It landed on its top. (fortunately no-one was hurt)

The Honda actually kept on going at a good clip and was found  a couple of miles away......sadly for the dumb-ass driver he left behind his front bumper..........license plate attached.  5555.

38 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Speed comes under the heading of Poor Driving Skills.. This is Thailand, so Poor driving skills over rides everything else.  Thais just do not know how to drive.  all same buffalo.

Speed and driving skills are two completely different things. 

I also wouldn't paint them all with the same brush; my better half is a good driver - but then again, she is one in a million ?

I don't think speed is much in play here they could have been going the posted Speed Instead it looks like they where 

following too close 

Many times I have had cars run up my rear in the fast lane trying to get me to pull over even though I have been going to 

proper speed

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Too fast,too close,and this is what happens. too  many times a day

in Thailand.

regards worgeordie

...and in other countries such as the UK, for example, don't forget.  It's nothing peculiar to Thailand.

5 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...maybe someone better rethink the design of that front end.....

...Honda ....???

...wow....

Yeah designed crumple zones are always a comprise of keeping the bonnet and grille in pristine condition or the occupants alive  in an accident.

9 hours ago, jonclark said:

Why is there a chinese tourist taking pictures?????

Why do you think he's a Chinese tourist?  He's just as likely to be a Thai local, maybe one of the occupants of the vehicles, but why would it be of so much interest anyway?

5 hours ago, JAG said:

Perhaps one of the factors, connected with lower labour costs is their willingness/ability to undertake extensive repairs rather than write off damaged vehicles.

I go past a vehicle repair workshop regularly, and I am often amazed at some of the pristine vehicles that a week before were sitting outside as total wrecks

Mind you, I do wonder how well some of them might go round corners...

Yes in Oz or the UK they write off far more cars as the labour cost make repairs prohibitively expensive. Also to some extent cars have their accident and repair history logged and categorised. Any potential buyer can check that history and see that the vehicle had been involved in a serious smash. Here you have no way to check and have to use your own skill and judgement. So less risk involved in repairing badly damaged vehicles for future sale.

There is a "fast section" to this road ?  I guess it is sign posted as such.......

The GF told me today that 25 (number of dead in one mega prang the other week) was a winning lottery combination....so you should all know what will come up on the Feb 01st draw now...just check the photos above for the Reg numbers.

Rama 2 road (aka Route 35), where this accident happened, has to be one of the worst for traffic incidents in Thailand.

I am not exaggerating when I say that every time I drive down there, I see the aftermath of a crash, most commonly pile ups of 3 cars or more.

People drive way too fast and too close to each other for the conditions, desperate to get out of Bangkok and it's even worse on a Sunday night with the impatient return of weekend tourists. It seems to be treated akin to a motorway by most but it has numerous merges and exits, which can impact traffic flow and speed very quickly. 

Outside of Bangkok, route 35 also has some of the most dangerous u-turns in Thailand, where you need to evade traffic coming the other way at 120km/hr+.

Trying to figure out what happened? It is called "tailgating"

Just returned from up north   ..... travel at 120 kph & leaving a gap so can at least slow down if problem ahead

which is immediately filled by a pick up or mini van. Hopeless