Increase of surcharge on None Thai ATM Cards to 220 baht

Not sure if this topic has already been started but I went to withdraw some money today from my local SCB Bank and noticed that the amount has now increased to 220 baht I would assume this increase is all Thai Banks . This amount just seems to go up and up every few months by the time my own bank charges me it cost over £10 GBP just to get to my own money .

Talk about milking farang !  What next I wonder ?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I fully understand you can open a Thai Bank account but you still have to pay transfer fees plus exchanges rates so you cant win . I just wonder how high this surcharge is going to go if you look back say 10 years or even before the surcharge .

I expect other banks will pile-on also.   Kbank already has....a quote from their fee webpage.   It's just getting ridiculously greedy....but farangs can afford said the Thai bankster.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/RatesAndFees/Charges/Pages/Charges.aspx

From Jan. 16, 2017 - The service charge on cash withdrawal of all international or foreign credit cards via KBank's ATM machines for VISA card and MasterCard will be charged at 220 Baht per transaction.  China Union Pay (CUP) card will be charged 150 Baht per transaction.

1 hour ago, sub101uk said:

Yes I fully understand you can open a Thai Bank account but you still have to pay transfer fees plus exchanges rates so you cant win . I just wonder how high this surcharge is going to go if you look back say 10 years or even before the surcharge .

You certainly can win the interbank exchange rate is the same as when you ATM the money and at 220 a time if you send over money for a 2 month period you will be better of already. (unless you spend no more then 20k per month)

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

In some Thai banks, in some branches, but most are starting to tell you to use the ATM machine outside of the bank and refuse to do counter withdrawals 

Some branches cannot do the translocation in store due to not having the machines, those are the branches that tell you to use the ATM machine .

Some branches cannot do the translocation in store due to not having the machines, those are the branches that tell you to use the ATM machine .

More likely they realize they are shooting themselves in the foot by allowing counter withdrawals where they don't make any money

Ask for a credit card cash advance and suddenly they will find the "machine"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Some branches, even full service large branches, simply will not do a counter withdrawal for a debit card. A large Bangkok Bank branch near me is that way. But the branch will accept a credit card for a counter withdrawal (a.k.a., cash advance). All depends on the branch.

Just now, Langsuan Man said:

More likely they realize they are shooting themselves in the foot by allowing counter withdrawals where they don't make any money

Ask for a credit card cash advance and suddenly they will find the "machine"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Are you talking about something that has happened, or just what you think might happen ?

If you have been to a bank branch that has a internal machine to withdrawal money and they wouldnt and they told you to use the external ATM, could you name the bank branch and the location .

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you talking about something that has happened, or just what you think might happen ?

If you have been to a bank branch that has a internal machine to withdrawal money and they wouldnt and they told you to use the external ATM, could you name the bank branch and the location .

See Pib's response above

Bangkok Bank branch in The Mall - Bangkae here in Bangkok. Very large full service branch...12 counter positions...many desk postions. For debit cards they say No....point you to their ATM....but for credit cards you can accomplish a cash advance. Have used the branch numerous times. Now use a Krungsri branch as they accept both debit and credit cards for counter withdrawals. All depends on the branch.

Just now, Pib said:

Bangkok Bank branch in The Mall - Bangkae here in Bangkok. Very large full service branch...12 counter positions...many desk postions. For debit cards they say No....point you to their ATM....but for credit cards you can accomplish a cash advance. Have used the branch numerous times. Now use a Krungsri branch as they accept both debit and credit cards for counter withdrawals. All depends on the branch.

I do realise that sone bank branches do not have the facility to carry out withdrawals using foreign ATM cards, but Langsaum man claimed that some bank branches WITH the facility to make withdrawals using foreign ATM cards are now activily refusing to do so and are telling people to use external ATM machines, and I was asking whether this is happeneing or whether it isnt

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

It happens at numerous branches, even full service branches...lots of older posts on TV saying such.

OK, so which bank branches with the ability to use over the counter foreign ATM card   cash withdrawals are now refusing to do so ?

My Australian Citibank card allows fee-free withdrawals from Thai Citibank ATMs. The problem being there aren't many.

But I go to Bangkok once every two weeks anyway, so I just take what I need for that time.

Sukhumvit MRT ... Asok BTS

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

OK, so which bank branches with the ability to use over the counter foreign ATM card   cash withdrawals are now refusing to do so ?

I gave you a specific branch a few posts up.  Another Bangkok Bank branch in the Plus Lotus Mall.   Both of these malls are close to where I live in western Bangkok.     Sorry, I can't address each of over 7000 bank branches in Thailand....only the ones I've tried at.

Some branches not accepting debit cards is nothing new....instead you are pointed to their ATM....been plenty of such posts on ThaiVisa over the years.  I too personally have experienced the rejection as already mentioned..  It will depend on the branches you happen you use.

Thai banks want  you to use the ATM whenever possible for two reasons:

1) less work for them.

2) they get more total fee from an ATM withdrawal vs counter withdrawal.  See this later part of below post which gives an example of the total fees earned by a Thai bank for an ATM withdrawal and a counter withdrawal.

23 hours ago, Pib said:

A 10% fee increase from 200 to 220...sounds very fair said the bankster. 

Yeah, that sounds like a lot. It's better to just think of it as an additional 20 baht to fork out. If the budget is tight, think how you can save 20 baht elsewhere.

They make their killing on tourists who only take out a small amount of money often.

Gosh, I haven't paid a Thai bank ATM User fee since early 2011....nor needed to do a wire transfer to get money into the country.    I say that because I have debit cards that are no foreign transaction fee and fee reimbursing cards...like one of them is the Schwab debit card.

But I avoid during that as much as possible now simply because I don't want the Thai bank to get that high ATM Use Fee that use to be Bt150 just a few years ago, then went to Bt180, then went to Bt200, and now at Bt220.....any bets on how long it is before it is raised to Bt250.  

So, to minimize enriching the greedy Thai banksters who are really bleeding tourists which also ends up bleeding expats I do primarily counter withdrawals (a.k.a., cash advances) with my debit cards and a coupe of credit cards....mostly credit cards since they have a much higher transaction limit than my debit cards.   You are probably thinking right now use of a credit card is crazy simply due to the cash advance fee which is typically 3%.   But the credit cards I use are no foreign transaction fee and no cash advance fee cards...plus I prepay  the amount I plan to get so there is no interest charge...end result no fees for me.

2 hours ago, siam2007 said:

And in neighboring countries such as Malaysia such fee is still entirely unheard of.....

I fully expect all other countries to  follow the shining example of Thai. This due to the recent announcement to kids on Children's day that someday the Thai language will replace English as a globally recognized medium.

We can then expect the Thai Baht to be the global currency.

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

You do not have to use ATMs

You can withdraw the money over the counter with no ATM fee

Yes, that is the case, that is what I do, but be aware that only certain branches of the banks are able to do this, and even at that, not the banks in small towns and villages, although I would stand to be corrected on this.

Thai banks are incredibly greedy- It used to be when cashing a Traveler's check there was a fee of 33 Baht per check. That has already been raised to 153 Thai Baht per check. Absolute larceny- I no longer use TC in Thailand. In addition, the ATM fee is higher than what it costs in the USA when using another bank's ATM.  How high can it go? God only knows!

Not sure I understand the issue here. I transfer monies from Oz whenever needed, usually in $A20,000 lots.

As with another Aussie who posted above, there's no direct bank fee to pay at the Oz end because I use Citibank with a "No fees" account.  I also usually have $5K sitting permanently in the Citibank account so they earn some profit on it & I get a good exchange rate.  No skin off my nose and it serves as a small reserve for emergencies. At the BKK Bank end there's a small fee for receiving the monies (500฿ max). I can then use my Citibank card to withdraw cash as required at the Citibank atms in BKK without fee, or I or my partner can use our BKK Bank cards to withdraw at any BKK Bank atm (no fee).

If we want to withdraw a large amount (over 50K฿) we simply go into a BKK Bank branch, fill out a withdrawal slip and present it at the counter. No cards, no fees - provided we use the branch at which our BKK Bank account is sited (BKK for me, Surin for my partner). Noone above seems to consider this possibility - filling out a withdrawal slip. Sounds a bit oldfashioned, I guess, but it works. No probs, no sweat.

46 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Thai banks are incredibly greedy- It used to be when cashing a Traveler's check there was a fee of 33 Baht per check. That has already been raised to 153 Thai Baht per check. Absolute larceny- I no longer use TC in Thailand. In addition, the ATM fee is higher than what it costs in the USA when using another bank's ATM.  How high can it go? God only knows!

This country is known for its robbery ATM and fake tax laws for import. All in it together banks and leaders. They only know to rob to earn. Thainess