9 Year Old Girl Suffers Serious Injury

webfact

9 Year Old Girl Suffers Serious Injury

By Danny Boy -

sink-injury-2.jpg?fit=964,643

Young Girl suffers injury after bathroom accident

PATTAYA: -- At around 11:00pm on Monday 23rd January, Pattaya emergency services were called out to Lek apartment to help a young girl who had suffered some serious injuries to her stomach.

At the scene, hospital staff found a 9 year old girl, Michelle, half Thai half English, with some serious cuts to her stomach. She had already lost a lot of blood and looked to be in a lot of pain by the time the emergency services arrived.

Speaking to her mother, she informed staff that Michelle was getting ready for bed, and had gone into the bathroom. The mother was sat in the living room playing on her phone when she heard a loud noise coming from the bathroom. She rushed to see what had happened and found Michelle lying on the bathroom floor with the sink smashed on top of her. She immediately called emergency services when she saw some nasty looking injuries to her daughter’s stomach.

Michelle was treated by paramedics at the scene to stop the loss of blood before she was rushed into hospital for further treatment. After feeling a little better, Michelle told reporters that she had lifted herself up on the sink to reach the tap when it suddenly broke, falling on top of her and cutting her stomach. She also mentioned to reporters that “It didn’t hurt that much”.

Thankfully Michelle is back at home making a full recovery.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/9-year-old-girl-suffers-serious-injury/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-01-24

The best educator of all: experience. No more climbing on the sink for her.

Knowing how flimsy sink mountings are in Thailand, I always used to use 6 inch bolts in my hotel bathrooms to bolt the sink through the whole outside wall of the room, with securing nuts and washers on the outside of the wall.  That way, the wall would fall down first before the sink came away from the wall.

Glad to read that she is recovering :)

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Knowing how flimsy sink mountings are in Thailand, I always used to use 6 inch bolts in my hotel bathrooms to bolt the sink through the whole outside wall of the room, with securing nuts and washers on the outside of the wall.  That way, the wall would fall down first before the sink came away from the wall.

Glad to read that she is recovering :)

Presumably as an owner and not as a guest?

Presumably as an owner and not as a guest?

A guest of course! :)

I always take a hammer drill with me when I'm staying in hotels  :shock1:

Seriously, the pathetic little wall screws that are supplied when you buy a sink or basin are almost as bad as the quality of the wall itself, (which is likely to be full of air spaces between the 'it-bok'.)

So when I built my little hotels, I'd drill 2 holes right through the wall, secure the basin to the wall on the inside, and then place very wide metal washers on the outside where the 6 inch bolt protruded, and then some locking nuts.

There is no way that the sink will fall off the wall.

I recall many years ago when I stayed in an upcountry little resort and the bathroom basin fell off the wall.  It was funny at the time, but this incident with the young girl indicates how serious it can be.

Edited by simon43

She said that the sink broke and not just fell off the wall as some posters are presuming.

Yes you're correct.  If you look at the photos in the linked article, you can still see the 2 basin mounting brackets still attached to the wall.  So it looks like the sink did actually break as she placed her weight on it - maybe there was an existing crack in the basin

3 hours ago, xerostar said:

I believe many people are seriously injured by standing on porcelain toilets.

When they shatter, the shards of porcelain are very large and very sharp (similar to basins).

No wonder the world calls me an old-fashioned something, but when my daughters were 9 they were in bed by 9 (maybe 10 at weekends)

Bad quality products st low prices, there are good ones but you have to pay s bit more

I was rebuilding part of my house but working away, my wife sent me the price of sinks and toilet for the bathroom, 50% price difference. Obviously she wanted the cheap ones to save money, we bought the better ones. Five years on still good, quality is important.

Hope the little girl recovers fully.

Happened to me too once in Thailand. A Thai basin came away from the wall in a hotel I was staying in and crashed down just missing my foot.

It had no pedestal supporting it, so any slight pressure on it meant it would come away from the wall.

8 hours ago, xerostar said:

I believe many people are seriously injured by standing on porcelain toilets.

When they shatter, the shards of porcelain are very large and very sharp (similar to basins).

I guess that more are injured while squatting balancing on top of the western-style toilet bowl....