Govt plans to buy Chinese submarine this year: Prawit

snoop1130

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it's more important to have submarines than education?

In a newspaper we cannot quote this morning there's an excellent article about schools joining Intensive Care because they have insufficient resources. Nearly 2,500 lack school buildings or teaching materials and over 1,000 have teacher shortages.

Just imagine what the education department could do with B30bn??

3 subs vs an educated country.

When will the people stand up and be counted ......... Ah ... no education to count!!

1 minute ago, MichaelJohn said:

In a newspaper we cannot quote this morning there's an excellent article about schools joining Intensive Care because they have insufficient resources. Nearly 2,500 lack school buildings or teaching materials and over 1,000 have teacher shortages.

When will the people stand up and be counted ......... Ah ... no education to count!!

Why in Buddha's name would all the generals want an educated public ? Educated people think & might even ask questions & heaven forbid, justification for some government decisions.

MichaelJohn, you are a silly boy. :sorry:

The South China Sea territorial claims by China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Taiwan, The Philippines, Brunei might create a conflict, mainly at sea, in the future. It could be the end of Asean with some countries siding with China (Thailand, Cambodia and Laos). The friends of today could become enemies tomorrow. Having some submarines could be useful.

Singapore has submarines, not to protect its very shallow waters but to be used against potential enemies (Indonesia and Malaysia) in their territorial waters.

Interesting read:

http://www.asiapacificdefencereporter.com/articles/104/The-role-of-submarines-in-Warfare

From the above link:

The operational characteristics of submarines are operational stealth, endurance, freedom of movement, flexibility and lethality. When packaged together they provide mission advantage and potency at sea, even against an enemy that is, at least in theory, superior.

Submarines offer their owners both close and distant defence against direct assault, the ability to disperse and deter countering forces, power projection and intelligence gathering without significant risk of provocation and the ability to conduct a wide range of tactically effective operations once hostilities commence. They can be used to effect sea control and sea denial and to contribute to maritime power projection operations.

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

At least they are going to park it in the Andaman Sea, as the Gulf of Thailand is too shallow for submarines to properly submerge without scraping the bottom or knocking the conning tower off on the underside of a ship.

A slight exaggeration there, Gulf of Thailand has similar depths to the Persian Gulf where submarines have operated for some time.

A friend, the Admiral who is behind the purchase, told me on 28th August 2016, that they can only afford one submarine although they want three. Even then, as I understand it, they will be paying for them over a period of years. At least they are going to park it in the Andaman Sea, as the Gulf of Thailand is too shallow for submarines to properly submerge without scraping the bottom or knocking the conning tower off on the underside of a ship.

The article is wrong, this i snot their first submarine, Thailand used to have submarines until the '60s. Not sure exactly how a submarine is going to protect marine life and the environment.

They are going to use it in the Andaman Sea, yet the base is at the head of The Gulf of Thailand?

Now I'm no naval strategist, but it does seem silly to have to bimble past/through all those navies which presumably are the threat/reason you need a submarine, to get from your base to the area in which you are going to operate.

16 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

You're right, but from what I know about the Education Ministry very little of that ThB 30 million would ever get anywhere near a classroom!

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

They are going to use it in the Andaman Sea, yet the base is at the head of The Gulf of Thailand?

Now I'm no naval strategist, but it does seem silly to have to bimble past/through all those navies which presumably are the threat/reason you need a submarine, to get from your base to the area in which you are going to operate.

Farang think too mut!

"As well as explore marine resources in the andaman ses" ????

i think they must be considering installing big viewing ports in the hull, and recouping costs thru tourism

but building a canal / shipping lane, connecting the gulf to the andaman, seems like a good idea, to maximize the leaky tubs useability. :clap2:

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Farang think too mut!

Yes Farang do think too much but seem to get it right most of the time This is why there is a country Called the United States because they did think too much and wrote the constitution which is enshrined in Law

Here in Thailand Thais do not think too much and are working on the 7th or 8th constitution because they do not think enough and did not get it right 

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Exploration of marine resources is usually done with SHIPS and SUBMERSIBLES ... not with 13 billion baht manned submarine warships.

They have ordered one with windows and a glass bottom.

4 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

4% ?  i thought the standard graft add-on was 30 percent.  Meanwhile,  many people in thailand exist on a dollar a day.   

My estimate was from the RR engine deal. If it is in the area you mentioned, we are talking serious money.

2 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Including the Chinese, who would be most unaccommodating were the Thai navy to have the temerity to challenge their navy. 

Presumably, the tin opener will be complimentary - and complementary.

One for every Thai submariner.......Standard issue.

19 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Yes Farang do think too much but seem to get it right most of the time This is why there is a country Called the United States because they did think too much and wrote the constitution which is enshrined in Law

Here in Thailand Thais do not think too much and are working on the 7th or 8th constitution because they do not think enough and did not get it right 

Ah.... what?

lets see.... some twenty odd new amendments have been added to that old constitution.... does that not then mean that the well thought out constitution has been changed twenty odd times?

you say Thailand is heading for its 8th.... not bad by comparison.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Why in Buddha's name would all the generals want an educated public ? Educated people think & might even ask questions & heaven forbid, justification for some government decisions.

MichaelJohn, you are a silly boy. :sorry:

...And, heaven forbid,  if they learned English they might find out about the outside World!

The latest Thai "constitution" must have been the longest "thought about" constitution in history 2 3/4 years and counting !