Thailand’s corruption ranking drops from 76th to 101st in 2016 CPI

webfact

Thailand’s corruption ranking drops from 76th to 101st in 2016 CPI

865_Rank.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand dropped to 101st in 2016 Corruption Perception Index from 76th place a year earlier scoring only 35 compared to 38 in 2015, according to the latest report by Transparency International.

The report said that they drop in its score this year reinforced the link between perceived corruption and political turmoil. Government repression, lack of independence oversight, and the deterioration of rights eroded public confidence in the country.

Thailand’s new constitution, while it places significant focus on addressing corruption, entrenches military power and unaccountable government, undermining eventual return to democratic civilian rule. Free debate on the constitution was impossible; campaigning in opposition was banned and dozens of people were detained.

The military junta also prohibited monitoring of the referendum. There is a clear absence of independent oversight and righteous debate.

Among the Asean 10, Thailand ranks No 5 in 2016 Corruption Perception Index after Singapore ranks No 1 scoring 84 points, Brunei ranks No 2 with 58 scores, Malaysia No 3 with 49 scores, Indonesia No 4 with 37 scores.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailands-corruption-ranking-drops-76th-101st-2016-cpi/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-26

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well well, how in wonderful world of Disney will the junta hug___rs,,, Opps, I can' say that today as there is one or two people here that are just a little bit presious and get all bent out of shape when that turm is used or even ju__a fan club, they don't like that one also, Opp's, hehehehe.

Ok, ok, my bad,  So how will the few people here that just love the junta and think they are the duck's nutt's come out and spin this drop in corruption regarding the so-called self procliamed hero of the nation fighting corruption as long as you don't mention himself, his brother, sister inlaw, nephew, or any other close connections and or there bank accounts with the millitary's money in it,,,. Ummm my guess is what they useually say will be,    "it's been distorted, inaccurate, unfair, and bias, unballanced, properganda, Thaksin loving, he must have paid them, gossip, red shirt retohric"???

And I see the big boss said he's 'unfazed' by all of this. Well, of course he is. Being fazed by it would mean some level of culpability. After all, the buck never stops with big bosses here (who made big promises). Always with the low-level grunts who lap this BS up. 

Oh, but to end on a high note, astrologers have said that 2017 will be a year for catching bad guys. Who needs to physically do their jobs when astrologers predict good things. Just sit back and relax. The stars have this one. 

Fun to see that the least corrupt countries are all in Europe and that the US as a world leader is not doing a good job corruption wise. Though i do not trust this ranking 100% because i fail to see how they can gather good data from all over the world. For instance in Thailand they say just because the goverment did not let independent organisations monitor the referendum it was deemed corrupt.. I fail to see it that way because most countries don't let foreign entities check their elections plus its only a hint at corruption not proof at all. So I do have some questions on how they get and value their data. 

Just now, robblok said:

Fun to see that the least corrupt countries are all in Europe and that the US as a world leader is not doing a good job corruption wise. Though i do not trust this ranking 100% because i fail to see how they can gather good data from all over the world. For instance in Thailand they say just because the goverment did not let independent organisations monitor the referendum it was deemed corrupt.. I fail to see it that way because most countries don't let foreign entities check their elections plus its only a hint at corruption not proof at all. So I do have some questions on how they get and value their data. 

It is a perception index, which is pretty arbitrary. However i can understand why perception of corruption is high. There is very little transparency, independent agencies are basically scared or under the command of the Government and i presume many are frightened to even seriously raise issues. Given that setting it is not hard to see why the perception of corruption is growing. Its not as if the army have a long track record of squeaky clean functioning.....

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

It is a perception index, which is pretty arbitrary. However i can understand why perception of corruption is high. There is very little transparency, independent agencies are basically scared or under the command of the Government and i presume many are frightened to even seriously raise issues. Given that setting it is not hard to see why the perception of corruption is growing. Its not as if the army have a long track record of squeaky clean functioning.....

That is what I mean its pretty arbitrary. Many more corruption cases have ben tried now then in all the years before. Loads of corruption is getting attacked new tough laws are made.. I see progress (and hypocrisy about not going after the nephew of the PM) but in general I see al lot more progress than under the government that wanted to put 30.000 cases with much corruption under an amnesty.

IMHO this is also a political game by the makers of this index. (not saying there is no corruption now.. there is.. but I see things getting better)

Just now, robblok said:

That is what I mean its pretty arbitrary. Many more corruption cases have ben tried now then in all the years before. Loads of corruption is getting attacked new tough laws are made.. I see progress (and hypocrisy about not going after the nephew of the PM) but in general I see al lot more progress than under the government that wanted to put 30.000 cases with much corruption under an amnesty.

IMHO this is also a political game by the makers of this index. (not saying there is no corruption now.. there is.. but I see things getting better)

Rob, lets agree to disagree otherwise we will just have the same old arguments.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand dropped to 101st in 2016 Corruption Perception Index from 76th place a year earlier

Junta better hope Trump doesn't see or care about this Index. But it would be very discriminating data should Trump want to negotiate free trade with Thailand.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Please advise what major corruption cases have been pursued (excluding those driven by separate political agendas) under the present military regime.

Please advise progress on corruption cases where the armed forces were involved - Hua Hin statues, fake GT 200 devices, unexplained wealth etc etc

Please advise why Transparency International should have any interest in playing a political game

Please explain why Thailand's position has declined catastrophically under the Junta.

Please advise whether in the current climate of free speech repression the role of independent agencies has improved or declined

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Please advise what major corruption cases have been pursued (excluding those driven by separate political agendas) under the present military regime.

Please advise progress on corruption cases where the armed forces were involved - Hua Hin statues, fake GT 200 devices, unexplained wealth etc etc

Please advise why Transparency International should have any interest in playing a political game

Please explain why Thailand's position has declined catastrophically under the Junta.

Please advise whether in the current climate of free speech repression the role of independent agencies has improved or declined

1)..I would see the bank loans forced by Thaksin that now has bankers in jail, Sondi case, case against the credit union theft that the monk is involved too, many others but not going to look through all news articles, fake GTG deals where high ranking members of the previous government were implicated with hard proof. Seems quite a bit but you will say political motivated.. as usual.

2) GT200 devices is old news and was not even pursued under other government at the time so cant make a difference in the rating as how it was handled is the same as previously (and a big shame as I agree something should be done about it)

3) People perceive democratie as the best and will always give bad marks if a government is not democratic as proven by saying that independent monitors (from other countries) should be there at the referendum, while none were in the US during election and that seems to be ok.. double standards.

3) as i said.. big part political game.. they don't like governments that are non democratic as it goes against their views

4) Agree here freedom of speech is less at this moment and declined. But given how much progress in cases has been made in 1 while goverment of YL was busy with corruption on whosale scale see fake GTG deals and an amnesty (thankfully stopped by the people) of 30.000 cases including many corruption cases i would say it would have to rate better as then. 

In Chaeng Wattana, one sees emblazoned on the atrium walls the names of a whole range of obscure-sounding, but evidently well-funded ministries and institutes. Their lights never seem to be on. Presumably someone turns up occasionally to file a token report. Every time I go some of the names have changed.

Of course, MICT's lights are always blazing. It's surreal. It's like 1984.

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you wan to analyze the level of denial you are in, just study your post.

You are eager to extrapolate negative results about America, so you can feel good about Europe. But then you resist the negative results about Thailand so you can feel good about it too.

Is all you saw against Thailand really just the refusal to allow foreign observers? They said so much more than that. I guess you filtered it out.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s new constitution, while it places significant focus on addressing corruption, entrenches military power and unaccountable government, undermining eventual return to democratic civilian rule. Free debate on the constitution was impossible; campaigning in opposition was banned and dozens of people were detained.

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

If you wan to analyze the level of denial you are in, just study your post.

You are eager to extrapolate negative results about America, so you can feel good about Europe. But then you resist the negative results about Thailand so you can feel good about it too.

Is all you saw against Thailand really just the refusal to allow foreign observers? They said so much more than that. I guess you filtered it out.

I said fun to see..  about the Europe US thing.. fun to see.. do you call that eager.. and after that I said i don't trust this ranking (goes for the Europe Us thing too)

Tell me how can an organisation get a clear picture of all the countries in the world and be accurate..........

You can't even get an accurate view of road casualties all over the world because of different types of measuring and nobody is hiding that. Now corruption is hidden and they can get an accurate view of the whole world.....

Edited by robblok

Don't ya all worry, we can't have corruption now, we have a park :)

Would tend to agree with some posters though, most actual arrest for corruption were just lip service and silencing of the opposition.

Inside trader of 6-8 months ago, old news, no action.

Just an example of many many high profile cases that were just brushed under the carpet.

Just now, robblok said:

I said fun to see..  about the Europe US thing.. fun to see.. do you call that eager.. and after that I said i don't trust this ranking (goes for the Europe Us thing too)

Tell me how can an organisation get a clear picture of all the countries in the world and be accurate..........

I am sure you would be so understanding if the ranking had fallen under a PTP Government....

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I'll bet they have it pretty close.