Who of the Phuket regulars are leaving?

KarenBravo

Works for me.
I can choose notifications for everything.
Private messages, New posts in subscribed forums, likes and replies can all be selected to give notifications or not. You can decide Stevenl. You can control your content destiny.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Most of those are not the issue, and setting to 'no' is not working. Since you seem to be unable to understand others, I'm out of here.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, sebastion said:

You talked about people accessing thaivisa when out and about. You spoke about accessing at home which lead me to believe you are old fashioned and using a desktop to access thaivisa. It's also safe to assume you don't use a smartphone because if you did we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Wrong again..........I never spoke or mentioned that of which you write. You've got the wrong poster!!

Just goes to show that one doesn't have to be smart to use a smartphone!!

Good day to you also.

6 hours ago, sebastion said:

I guess this means you still use a PC/Laptop.
That's old tech.

I am still using my trusty Linux machine with a two-monitor setup. It gives me 3840x1080 px on a screen size of 1016x285 mm, as my X-Server tells me. Much better than any kind of so-called smartphone or tablet or whatever. And I don't think it is old tech.

You cannot beat that setup in the real world, except with 4 or more screens.

Rather ironic that Living in Kata has left the building.  Several years back when I was posting here frequently he used to delete at least half of all my posts...

I am pretty sure he nailed a good deal of NKMs posts as well.

So ex mods can't leave? Nothing ironic about it imo.

2 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Rather ironic that Living in Kata has left the building.  Several years back when I was posting here frequently he used to delete at least half of all my posts...

Why you fail to see that the moderators job is to keep the conversation civil?

Lik did excellent job doing that. That's why he is considered to be the father of Phuket forum.

I did my own stint as TV moderator. In that time I was allowed to see the whole and unfiltered image of our members. It was not pretty. 

What comes to the NKM posts.. I wanted to give him suspension. However it didn't matter how much I wanted to do that, there was never a real reason to do so. 

The benefit of not being a moderator is that we can now ignore the folks we think are not funny anymore. 

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, sebastion said:

Didn't miss the point.
You talked about people accessing thaivisa when out and about. You spoke about accessing at home which lead me to believe you are old fashioned and using a desktop to access thaivisa. It's also safe to assume you don't use a smartphone because if you did we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Good day to you sir.

You must be on something, it was me you are quoting not xylophone mate

I might be old fashioned but at least i can remember who quoted what, unlike you

Edited by madmax2

23 hours ago, simon43 said:

I 'tweaked' some settings and now the ad-blocker pop-up delay on my laptop is gone.  But my bigger issue is about the mobile version of ThaiVisa, which is simply impossible to use because I cannot apply the same 'fix'.  The number of adverts that are loaded means that the page jumps around for perhaps 1 minute whilst it loads up all the images.  If you click on a forum heading or post during that period, you end up actually clicking on a heading or post that you didn't want, and so you are taken off to another forum page (where the whole process is repeated...).

Completely unusable on a mobile device.

HOW PLEASE<<< maybe send me a PM as they might t not like u posting the way here  555555

Most of those are not the issue, and setting to 'no' is not working. Since you seem to be unable to understand others, I'm out of here.

Keep using the thaivisa app and you'll get what you don't want.
Tapatalk is the app, if you don't accept the advice then deal with what you having problems with.

You must be on something, it was me you are quoting not xylophone mate
I might be old fashioned but at least i can remember who quoted what, unlike you

No.
I was just confused as that poster had no business replying for you.

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

No.

Confused?? Any poster can post a comment on anyone else's post............that is what makes the threads interesting.

Never mind, moving right along.............

On 2017-01-26 at 5:47 AM, DrDave said:

My position is similar to member schlog's above. 

The ads take up only about 25% of the screen's horizontal real estate on the desktop, and usually I don't pay any attention to them.

I completely understand the need to generate revenue. Sites like this require a lot of resources - servers, bandwith, maintenance, upgrades and moderation, and this all costs money. A site like TV doesn't have ability to generate marketable "profiles" of users to the same scale as sites like Facebook in order to generate revenue. (Speaking of Facebook, it's a marketing goldmine. Think of how all of the "shares" and "likes" can be mined to develop very detailed profiles containing much more information than anyone would ever volunteer if asked directly.) TV obviously doesn't have this ability, so it would seem their only source of revenue is embedded ads.

There's no free lunch.

thaivisa.com is the site that makes them money, the forum is an extension that is used to lure people that click on ads and use the services offered by thaivisa onto their website. They lure these people because of the free content writers on these forums.

Without forum activity, the main site(cash chow) loses traction. I for one don't mind the side and top ads, but the ones in the middle of a thread? that's overly annoying.

Any person that changes his site to forced ads is overly incompetent, anyone with half a brain understands that people that have ad blockers will not start clicking on ads no matter what. If by chance i see something in an ad that could be somewhat interesting, I'll google my way there to avoid viruses or to get reviews on it.

Im glad thaivisa is working on this, shows some brains. The free information offered by some members ESPECIALLY in the visa section is amazing and the only reason that the site is even around today.

Edited by bearpolar

15 hours ago, sebastion said:

No.

What poster are you  talking about, you accused him of being me, not the other way around and i let you keep digging the hole you got into

Since when have you  had the right to tell other people what they can post or not post, made yourself a self appointed mod have you 

Buy yourself a laptop its not that expensive and will allow you to keep up with other peoples posts a lot easier

On 1/27/2017 at 9:22 PM, Bulldozer Dawn said:

How do you know it was LIK, he was not the only mod who moderated this local forum

You are probably accusing him of something he did not do with no proof, which is not unusual for some people to do

Some people deserve to be nailed as you put it

As I mentioned earlier in a post of mine, the benefits of being a member on the site far outweigh any disadvantages as regards the ads.

However I do employ the use of ABP (Ad Block Plus) on my computer and the beauty of it is that I can elect to switch it off on any site I wish and once I've activated that, it stays and whenever I access that site, the ads appear and I put up with it.

As I've said, really no hassle for me but others may feel differently and that is their prerogative.

Just now, NamKangMan said:

Couldn't care less about ads.  More concerned about tracking, hence, the use of a VPN etc. 

Send all the useless ads you want - I'm not interested in clicking on them. 

Yep who cares about ads, I have never clicked on one in nearly 10 years.  There are two things I care about.  First, the functionality of a site, and secondly, the amount of astro turfing. 

Since the site upgrade functionality has gone to pot, and , as I already posted above, despite the upgrade the site is still not fully responsive (that is you need an app to use it on your phone).

And with regard to astro turfing, just have a look at all the new topics getting posted by new members with no posting history asking questions regarding the likes of sin sot, thai girls, and other proven click bait topics.

I do not think what a few people like or dislike about TV is going to make any difference to how the people in power run the site, it will still be the biggest most followed Thailand forum site if you are not interested in building a house or looking at pictures of food

The advertising section is up and running again which is useful if you are looking for property  or anything else

16 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Couldn't care less about ads.  More concerned about tracking, hence, the use of a VPN etc. 

Send all the useless ads you want - I'm not interested in clicking on them. 

Full disclosure, I'm not from Phuket so I am trespassing.

Since I got fiber, I don't mind the ads at all.  While I was on ADSL (and poor wiring at that), the ads often made the site almost unusable.  Strangely, I click on a lot of them, and occasionally even buy the stuff on the other end of the click.

The ones that irritate me are the ones where the picture doesn't match the text.  That shouldn't be a tough one to remedy...

I'm not going anywhere. I find TV a very useful resource. Ads are everywhere anyway. My brain screens them out.........which leads me to wonder, how do they make money? I think most people find ads an annoyance and never actually read them, much less act on them.

I only use TV on a desktop PC and I've allowed the TV site exemption from AdBlock.

I find mobile version of TV more or less unusable, even before the  recent 10-second disabling screen. Like an earlier commenter, I can't change my ad-blocking settings on my smartphone to exempt TV.

@sebastion

PC sales figures have been falling for some years but to call desktop computers and laptops "dying technology" is just plain wrong. 

Smartphones and similar devices are to blame for the fall in sales, as you say. Also, not everyone loves Windows 10.

And, the rate of development/performance improvement in PCs is slowing.

I'm happy for you that you can do most things on your smartphone but it is much easier to do proper work on a desktop: the screen is bigger, typing is faster, programs are better than apps (mostly) and a larger machine allows faster throughput of work, to say nothing of being able to use multiple windows.

It is impossible to do serious photo or video editing on a smartphone.

I'd be very happy to do a side-by-side comparison of speed of working, with anyone using a smartphone and I'm sure i'd win. I'd certainly have a more relaxing experience.

:smile:

55 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@sebastion

PC sales figures have been falling for some years but to call desktop computers and laptops "dying technology" is just plain wrong. 

Smartphones and similar devices are to blame for the fall in sales, as you say. Also, not everyone loves Windows 10.

And, the rate of development/performance improvement in PCs is slowing.

I'm happy for you that you can do most things on your smartphone but it is much easier to do proper work on a desktop: the screen is bigger, typing is faster, programs are better than apps (mostly) and a larger machine allows faster throughput of work, to say nothing of being able to use multiple windows.

It is impossible to do serious photo or video editing on a smartphone.

I'd be very happy to do a side-by-side comparison of speed of working, with anyone using a smartphone and I'm sure i'd win. I'd certainly have a more relaxing experience.

:smile:

I'll take my MacBook Pro over a "device" any day! I'm reformatting a movie, watching a different movie on on my Sony LCD TV through the mini display port to HDMI and reading this thread. Try that on a device... Oh forgot I was downloading another movie at the same time.

Edited by Jimi007

Yes, I understand how these businesses work, but I’m not happy with the way TV has been overrun with ads.

A year ago I began using ABP because the pages were loading too slowly due to the massive increase in ads, and with the animated/moving ones driving me nuts.

The very annoying 15 second splash with brooks and Skeletor is a kick in the nuts. Yes, I knew within minutes of a workaround, but I’m an IE user and I’m not going to switch around white listing, stopping Java or use any of the other workarounds there are.

Since the very poor decision by TV took place my TV time has been reduced by at least 90%. I’ll be back to get specific information concerning Visa’s etc, but will no longer offer any help on any subjects or make someone laugh a bit with a hopefully funny comic.

That said, I’m getting an amazing amount of stuff done around the house. Thank you TV for helping me to realize how much time I was wasting.

Edited by Shot

Well said Shot

As another poster has alluded, we who actively contribute to the forums by posting useful information for the benefit of all, including non-contributors, are a free asset to TV. We're not simply takers.

The ads are simply too intrusive for me so this morning I decided to actively seek a workaround and, with the help of others on the internet, succeeded.
No gormless ad-block warning, no delay and no ads. Sweet.

2 hours ago, prophet01 said:

Well said Shot

As another poster has alluded, we who actively contribute to the forums by posting useful information for the benefit of all, including non-contributors, are a free asset to TV. We're not simply takers.

The ads are simply too intrusive for me so this morning I decided to actively seek a workaround and, with the help of others on the internet, succeeded.
No gormless ad-block warning, no delay and no ads. Sweet.

I would also say a free and valuable asset to TV