Bangkok bus blows past red light, smashes car (video)

webfact

Bangkok bus blows past red light, smashes car (video)

By  Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — A bus driver was fined 500 baht Wednesday for running a red light and crashing into another car.

Authorities suspended Jirapat Pan-iet from driving for three days and ordered him to take driving lessons after a video posted online showed him speed through an intersection and plow his bus into the side of the car.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/01/26/bangkok-bus-blows-past-red-light-smashes-car-video/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-26

Red light or not it looks to me like the motorbike caused the accident by doing an illegal u-turn taking up the right hand lane which the bus was turning into

Luckily for the bike rider & his pillion the bus driver chose to take out the car rather than squash the bike.

The car had already overtaken that bus, so the driver must have really hoofed it to try and make the lights. He was going way too fast and likely couldn't have made the gap whether the motorcyclist was there or not. Should have been done for reckless driving as well as running a red light....and the penalties should be many times more for a public service vehicle driver than for a regular motorist. Should be 'two strikes, and you're out forever' for these guys.

First, that dashcam video was about the worst video I have ever seen, how old is that camera?! Plus buses blowing red lights is a national past time here, I watched 3 buses this week blow thru red lights with timers on them, with 50 seconds still on the clock.....so there is no reason for them to even attempt doing so, unless they could care less about other peoples lives. We should be able to upload these videos to a government center, that will suspend licenses for drivers endangering others.

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Without the dash-cam video this incident wouldn't even make the local newspaper let alone TV.

And without the electoral college vote, Trump wouldn't have become POTUS either.

I know, total nonsense and absolutely nothing to do with the point of OP but you started it.

Edited by NanLaew

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What red light? Amber..never mind keep going. Red .... still time to get through, keep going. It's not just the bus either.

IVO of the prevailing attitude towards red lights to begin with, not to mention driver mentality generally, it's amazing this doesn't happen more often.

...or maybe it does and it just doesn't make the news.

50 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

IVO of the prevailing attitude towards red lights to begin with, not to mention driver mentality generally, it's amazing this doesn't happen more often.

...or maybe it does and it just doesn't make the news.

Red lights are optional here (sort of like brains and commonsense), if you feel like they are impeding your forward progress, or that you are more important then anyone else, well then you can ignore all safety laws. I basically feel like the authorities must hand out drivers licenses just to make it look like they are doing something for safety, but not actually checking anyones ability to actually drive safely, sort of like a participation trophy, everyone gets one.

2 hours ago, ocddave said:

Red lights are optional here (sort of like brains and commonsense), if you feel like they are impeding your forward progress, or that you are more important then anyone else, well then you can ignore all safety laws. I basically feel like the authorities must hand out drivers licenses just to make it look like they are doing something for safety, but not actually checking anyones ability to actually drive safely, sort of like a participation trophy, everyone gets one.

I came across a message posted somewhere on the forum awhile back by someone who had taken his thai gf or wife back to live in the west.   She was reportedly impressed by how observant of red lights (and traffic rules generally) all the drivers were - equally impressed  (awestruck might be a better word) by the sky-high taxes on everything as well.  So I guess "brains and commonsense" comes at a cost.  (If only that applied to the politics as well....)

I see at least a dozen people running red light every morning taking my daughter to school.  I also had a car run a red light on Tuesday afternoon when picking her up.  That occurred right in front of police and nearly crashing into a motorbike.  When I hit the horn, not only to let the driver know but also to warn other people, the police officer looked at me like I was the one doing the wrong thing.  Sorry Mr officer, but if you were doing your job instead of standing there pulling your dick like the useless prick you are, you could have stopped him.  Nothing will ever change until the people responsible for enforcing road rules actually do that.  In the mean time, try to stay as safe as you can, keep your eyes and ears open and trust nobody on the roads.  

Edited by Phuketboy

22 hours ago, mike324 said:

Looks like the camera car ran the light too? The bus couldn't stop in time as it almost hit the motorcycle to its right, hence it had to vear left hitting the car. At least nobody was killed.

Good observation.

There is more than one vehicle breaking the road rules here.

Here is an idea.have undercover highway traffic police follow and video the  road violators.then pull them over and show them on the video all things what they did wrong.speed, bumper tailing etc..then present them their fines and make a weekly tv  show about it...works in Europe.

29 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

I see at least a dozen people running red light every morning taking my daughter to school.  I also had a car run a red light on Tuesday afternoon when picking her up.  That occurred right in front of police and nearly crashing into a motorbike.  When I hit the horn, not only to let the driver know but also to warn other people, the police officer looked at me like I was the one doing the wrong thing.  Sorry Mr officer, but if you were doing your job instead of standing there pulling your dick like the useless prick you are, you could have stopped him.  Nothing will ever change until the people responsible for enforcing road rules actually do that.  In the mean time, try to stay as safe as you can, keep your eyes and ears open and trust nobody on the roads.  

I watched a police officer blow thru a red light a couple of different mornings, so they are part of the problem, not the solution. I would say an anonymous website where we can upload video evidence of drivers (civilians, police officers, military, etc...nobody is immune) who are driving to endanger, thus exposing them to public scrutiny (and possibly used as evidence of their driving habits for a future case where they cause a crash) would be nice to have, and might actually work in decreasing the carnage. Maybe get one of the news websites involved, that way the Junta can't sweep it under the rug, public shaming seems to do more than useless police officers.

7 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Maybe get one of the news websites involved, that way the Junta can't sweep it under the rug, public shaming seems to do more than useless police officers.

I think you are right there.

Nothing works better than using social media to shame the powers that be into action.