Australian PM describes frank call with Trump after Washington Post reports angry exchange

webfact

Australian PM describes frank call with Trump after Post reports angry exchange

r11.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Australia's Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull looks at his phone during House of Representatives Question Time in Parliament House, Canberra, Australia, November 9, 2016. AAP/Lukas Coch/via REUTERS/File Photo

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said on Thursday he had spoken candidly and frankly with U.S. President Donald Trump, but would not confirm a Washington Post report that Trump had berated him over a refugee swap deal and cut the call short.

The Post report said Trump had described the call with the leader of Australia, one of the United States' staunchest allies, as "the worst so far". It came less than a day after Washington had sewn confusion in Australia after saying it would apply "extreme vetting" as part of the resettlement deal.

The deal was agreed late last year between Australia, which has fought alongside U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the administration of former President Barack Obama.

As part of the deal, Washington agreed to resettle up to 1,250 asylum seekers held in offshore processing camps on Pacific islands in Papua New Guinea and Nauru. In return, Australia would resettle refugees from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.

Quoting unidentified senior U.S. officials briefed on the conversation, the Post reported that Trump had told Turnbull he had spoken to four other world leaders on Saturday, including Russian president Vladimir Putin and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, but said theirs "was the worst call by far".

The call had been scheduled to last an hour but the Post said Trump cut it short after 25 minutes when Turnbull tried to turn to other subjects, such as Syria. It also said Trump described the plan as "the worst deal ever" and accused Australia of trying to export the "next Boston bombers".

Turnbull would not comment on the contents of the call other than to say he believed the resettlement deal remained in place.

"These conversations are conducted candidly, frankly, privately. If you see reports of them, I'm not going to add to them," he told reporters in Melbourne.

The Washington Post report received almost blanket coverage in Australian media and was widely seen as embarrassing for Turnbull, whose conservative Liberal-National coalition has only a razor-thin majority after an inconclusive election last year.

"Mr Turnbull needs to confirm or deny the accuracy of that report," Labour opposition leader Bill Shorten told reporters in Perth.

The resettlement deal was thrown into confusion after Trump signed an executive order last week that suspended the U.S. refugee programme and restricted entry to the United States for travellers from majority-Muslim countries such as Iran, Iraq, and Syria.

Many of those being held in the Australian detention centres, which have drawn harsh criticism from the United Nations and rights groups, have fled violence in countries such as Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.

The Washington Post also quoted the official read-out after Saturday's call, which emphasised "the enduring strength and closeness of the U.S.-Australiarelationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally'.

It also said Trump had boasted to Turnbull about the size of his election victory.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-02

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the asylum seekers covered by the prior agreement, mainly Iranian, have been assessed as genuine refugees & undergone security checks by the Oz government, but now also subject to "extreme vetting", whatever that is,  by the US. You would have thought Trump would have been briefed on the deal / background prior to his call with the Oz PM. However, Trump has confirmed via a tweet he is reviewing the matter even though the deal comes under the term of an existing international agreement in his Executive Order. 

Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

You have to wonder if Trump is aware of the very close relationship between Australia & the US on military / intelligence matters, with facilities such as Pine Gap on Australian soil.

Edited by simple1

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Wow.  I sure hope this isn't true.  If so...ugh....

Why not? The more people Trump offends (which comes naturally to him), the stronger the opposition against him will become (both domestically and abroad). Someone just has to keep his tiny finger away from the nukes button....

I hope it is true and it appears to be so from all form reports in Aust. Not positive re US.

I hope we take these asylum seekers into Australia directly, now given this bump, as we always should have. It was a political solution in any event and it solved then, that problem but the political cost has moved, shifted values. A Trump factor.

It gives us some aspect back on that morality question in this regard. I hope in the doing,, ie accepting domestically the refugees,  Turnbull has the balls to say flcuk you Donald and scrap the base in darwin and scrap the 72 J35s.

Australia, history tells, has been a loyal and serving friend to allies and upheld international agreements. This rubbish should be quickly and publicly dispensed with. 

It's true, the beginning of the end in just 2 weeks.  They said they will  have no choice but to move toward China because they are not committing suicide for Australia.

If any deal goes ahead now there will be favors for trump trading  re Australia in other domains for simply maintaining an outgoing presidential promise. 

Beyond politics now. Children playing and trading marbles in the sandpit. <deleted> ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, optad said:

I hope it is true and it appears to be so from all form reports in Aust. Not positive re US.

I hope we take these asylum seekers into Australia directly, now given this bump, as we always should have. It was a political solution in any event and it solved then, that problem but the political cost has moved, shifted values. A Trump factor.

It gives us some aspect back on that morality question in this regard. I hope in the doing,, ie accepting domestically the refugees,  Turnbull has the balls to say flcuk you Donald and scrap the base in darwin and scrap the 72 J35s.

Australia, history tells, has been a loyal and serving friend to allies and upheld international agreements. This rubbish should be quickly and publicly dispensed with. 

DT thinks he can talk however he wants to anyone.  He basically told the Australian PM that Putin is a better man than him.  I'm American and disgusted with his childish win/lose mentality.  By by USA.  It will be sad to see, but, the Republicans made the deal.  I blame the Democrats for not letting Bernie win...I see lose, lose, lose....

How to make friends and influence people (not).

Whatever else Turnbull is, he's a pretty rational guy - moreso than most politicians, so shouting abuse at him is unlikely to achieve anything positive. The Oz newspapers say that Turnbull reminded DT that he too is a businessman and "A deal's a deal". DT didn't like his own line being thrown back at him ...

20 minutes ago, tx22cb said:

Good on yer, Aussie PM.

"Worst call by far" is a badge of honour.

Pity that the British PM could not be as direct.

Turnbull is toning it down. Good political futures possibly but I would have loved the guy to just speak it as it is. Slam Donald. A deal is a deal and trading allies is not what happens post 20thcentury history. 

In any event,  when will the broader media get tired of this 140 character individual, same adjs , same metre, same meandering nothingness and find ways to really profile a wasted opportunity for the the US but also his danger to the international community. 

8 minutes ago, Redline said:

DT thinks he can talk however he wants to anyone.  He basically told the Australian PM that Putin is a better man than him.  I'm American and disgusted with his childish win/lose mentality.  By by USA.  It will be sad to see, but, the Republicans made the deal.  I blame the Democrats for not letting Bernie win...I see lose, lose, lose....

The greatest truth here. 

The democrats flcuked us gave us Donald by screwing Sanders. Bernie could have been a monumental figure for change. Principled change...!!! A kinda 'new deal' in people and ideas. It is tragic.

Good call redline.

Edited by optad
Principled change

The fallout should be positive, that an American president has issued contempt for an Australian PM and all the history therein. Hopefully this puts some perspective into "self interest" and "national benefits". Law, international agreements, and human rights are just paper tokens in any varible American system.

As an Australian, I think we are immature in this relationship and in a 1944 Coral Sea mindset. Our security frameworks are proven to be vulnerable on a bad american electoral system. We can take an opportunity, as the kiwis did principally post Rainbow warrior and ANZUS [nukes on ships], to go their own way. 

The axiom with the US because of Donald does not exist.

The people I feel most sorry for today, who will read about this story and weep I am sure, are the partners,parents, sons and daughters of the following men and women.

http://icasualties.org/oef/Nationality.aspx?hndQry=Australia

These sons and daughters of Australia died fighting in a coalition - for what? They died in Afghanistan and Iraq in support of an Ally that has just kicked them in the balls. Trump is not worthy of any further consideration as an international statesman. He is a self obsessed fool who knows nothing of how the world works.

Politically Australia should just take in the extra 1200 refugees now and tell the USA to go screw itself. 

Australia has been a staunch ally of the USA since WW2 and a member of the 5 Eyes Intelligence network. I am even ashamed as a Brit that one of our allies could be treated like this. You don't just 'hang up' on an ally because someone else struck a deal with them or because they are trying to talk about real things instead of the size of your frakking election win. You do not speak to your allies like they are a piece of s**t, full stop.

Australia, I love the banter with you guys, but you have the endearing support of this Pom and many others in that we utterly condemn the US position as reflected by their President. I honestly believe this clown is out to start WW3 under the direct counsel of Banner and the like.

Australia should withdraw all support for any operations in the Middle East (Their support has led to the country suffering a huge domestic Muslim terrorist issue), It should withdraw it's troops, it's military agreements, close US facilities in Australia, cancel the large US defence contracts (buy elsewhere) and concentrate on solving domestic issues and focusing on homeland security. Go the way NZ has gone - live in peace way down South.

In short the Australian government should show the USA as much consideration in their response as the POTUS did during this important phone call. I admire the Australian PM for his restraint so far but the US do not deserve it.

Screw DJT for this.

Edited by Andaman Al

1 hour ago, dutchisaan said:

He is only Potus for a few weeks and everything people tough where the USA was standing for is already gone.

Many decent Americans are working hard to get the insane clown president impeached. First he did a hostile takeover of the republican party and now he's installed in the white house and acting the dictator. He's a disaster and the USA is in a national crisis which will get much worse before it gets better. Australians ... please realize this MADMAN trump does NOT represent the majority of the American people. 

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Hope so too - but those "unidentified sources" again. Always good for a bit of journalistic license now and then.

A bit of research would give you many sources for this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/01/politics/malcolm-turnbull-donald-trump-pena-nieto/index.html

Trump had heated exchange with Australian PM, talked 'tough hombres' with Mexican leader

Thursday night, Trump tweeted, "Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!"

Believe what you want.

Operation Enduring freedom....

I hope the reality under Trump sobers so many of these participating nations that the the only constructive outcome is an American agenda. It never was necessarily a pluralistic or shared one. 

Let's get principled, and devolve.

operation enduring freedon ally casualties.png

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Clearly the disgusting new U.S. president is out to back off on the previously agreed to deal with Australia. This is unacceptable. 

The fact that he Tweets about such an important policy agreement with an Ally is a national disgrace. It is long overdue that Twitter should just ban all his accounts ! How do Trump supporters actually support this moron? It was in fact a REPUBLICAN agreement with Australia to accept the refugees, but will any of them stand up and say so? No, they are cowards through and through.

My original comments on the so called "Muslim Ban" into America has some merit to me only if it includes 

Saudi Arabia in the list of countries, as we all know where the funding for the extremists come from.

Sorry ,, what did you say ,,,,, Oil    Oh  I see ,,silly me

Which basically nullifies any sense or good that comes out of the ban in the first place

2 hours ago, dutchisaan said:

He is only Potus for a few weeks and everything people tough where the USA was standing for is already gone.

Yes he have done a good job starting to destroy  US relations with the rest of the world. Hope his voters are happy. Now we just have to wait and see how many new jobs he will create that was not in planning before he took office.

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

My original comments on the so called "Muslim Ban" into America has some merit to me only if it includes 

Saudi Arabia in the list of countries, as we all know where the funding for the extremists come from.

Sorry ,, what did you say ,,,,, Oil    Oh  I see ,,silly me

Which basically nullifies any sense or good that comes out of the ban in the first place

It not a comprehensive global Muslim ban. But it is A Muslim ban

25 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

And the Trumpsters will condemn the Australian PM as they do anyone else who disagrees with their hero.  Trump continues live up to the expectations and never (it appears) to disappoint his disciples.

So far he's exceeded expectations of his horribleness. So early ... 

Be afraid. 

I wonder what 'transaction' this Transactional President is seeking with this latest gaffe with Australia? Is it as simple as his ego refusing to allow any sign of reversal from his divisive and destructive Muslim Ban? I suspect that this was a knee-jerk reaction to a topic, probably raised by the Australian PM about something that 45 probably didn't know since he appears to be too lazy to get briefed on issues (or he thinks he knows everything of importance) and his staff seem to have their heads so far up their rear ends imposing a new Theocracy of Nihilism on the American political system to have prepared proper briefing papers.

What impact will this have on Australian US relations? The Australian PM is playing it down, so probably none. This incident does, however, come at a time when the Australian and US security arrangement, under the ANZUS Treaty (Australia, New Zealand, United States Security Treaty) signed in 1951 has become increasingly controversial, primarily due to the US invasion of Iraq. NZ, which had been sidelined for a while over the nuclear-free Pacific issue had started to issue invitations for US naval vessels to visit and there were some commitments to strengthen ties under the Treaty under the Obama Administration. But now with 45's petulance, baggage and ego getting in the way, who knows the impact on this relationship that has been in place for more than half a century as a central pillar of security and economic development in the region (with things like APEC, ASEAN etc).

In addition to the ANZUS Treaty, people may not be familiar with Pine Gap, which is a listening post for the NSA and is rather controversial since it is under the control of the US and not Australia. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-30/australia-acting-as-listening-post-for-us-spy-agencies/5056534

Yet Australia's commitment to the relationship with the US has meant successive governments having to accept a facility that allegedly is involved in a number of surveillance programs exposed by Snowdon and considered questionable if not illegal.

Pundits talk about the new American isolationism under 45 and what will happen when a global crisis requires US to act and it does not have the support of allies who have been pissed off by 45. I think there is merit in that argument but I also believe that some people, drunk on power and the desire to bring down the Establishment are forgetting things that have allowed global conflict to be avoided for the past 70 odd years and the very deep relationships that are required to sustain them.

All for a stupid, meaningless, ego driven ideological position on immigration.

Would closing down Pine Gap be a proportionate response. No. But looking at the way 45 is acting, it may be difficult for the Australian Government to resist calls to take such action and more.