Pantip Plaza - What's going on?

dingdongrb

On 2/4/2017 at 1:10 AM, Chicog said:

I did say TIT.

:smile:

Well to be fair, Thailand can't come up with delays or non-starters to compare with some in Farang Land.  As an example we have the powerhouse of the European Community, Germany.

The new Berlin Airport was scheduled to be opened in 2010 and ...

Will Berlin’s new airport ever be finished? Last week the German capital announced for the fifth time that its long-awaited Willy Brandt Airport—more commonly known as Berlin Brandenburg—will be delayed once again. It will be at least 2018 by the time the airport comes into service, and it will arrive at a cost that, by the time of completion, will likely have tripled to more than €6 billion.

It’s been hard to keep track of exactly what’s going wrong at the construction site. First it was the fire safety system that was poorly designed and needed replanning. Then it turned out there weren’t enough check-in desks. Cooling systems weren’t strong enough, and the luggage handling capacity was too low. The current hold-up is down to the automatic doors: They simply won’t open, and now up to 1,200 of them may need to be entirely rewired.

It’s not just the sheer incompetence that is mind-boggling, it’s the enduring power of that incompetence, a power that has managed to remain consistent over years of delays. 

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2017/01/not-coming-in-2017-berlins-new-airport/514238/

Edited by Suradit69

On 2/6/2017 at 2:15 PM, connda said:

I've seen Starbuck in some cities having stores located directly across the street from each other.  History is littered with imbecilic corporations who eventually go bust due to corporate hubris.  So having a Starbuck 200m down the road really is inconsequential based on the business model I've seen them implement.  McDonald's seems to be a bit more conservative in the placement of their franchises. 

If you have stopped at the Service Center off Highway 7 between Pattaya and Bangkok there are 2 McDs within a stone's throw of each other. 1 small and 1 large.

If Franchise Holders 'Permit/Allow' their Franchise to be located opposite or next door then not much of an operation or they reckon their must be the amount of business they require. 

I understand very poor figures for tourists at the moment for our Chinese visitors seem restricted in the amount they can take out of country.

john

21 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

If Franchise Holders 'Permit/Allow' their Franchise to be located opposite or next door then not much of an operation or they reckon their must be the amount of business they require. 

I understand very poor figures for tourists at the moment for our Chinese visitors seem restricted in the amount they can take out of country.

john

These big Companies et al do not look just at yesterday and today.  They are looking at their forecasts which are based on lots of info, most of which is not available to us mere mortals.

I could not possibly accuse them of anything like 'insider trading' or local Government knowledge,  or other such things but!

• 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, sanemax said:

As have McDonalds

I was in there on Sunday and didn't see a sign, where abouts in Pantip? Not disbelieving you, just wondering where? In related news the progress on the KFC seems to be coming along although there seems to be nothing happening with the optometrist and sports store. 

13 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

I was in there on Sunday and didn't see a sign, where abouts in Pantip? Not disbelieving you, just wondering where? In related news the progress on the KFC seems to be coming along although there seems to be nothing happening with the optometrist and sports store. 

Between the KFC sign and Big C.

I dont eat Maccas, fast food simply does not interest me but I am interested in businesses that open and how they do, or do not, succeed.

Pantip is hardly appealing if you are in a car and I realise there is parking underneath

I pass, on many occasions, the Maccas on Hang Dong Rd just past Tesco.I rarely see more than half a dozen cars.Thats a big site and an even bigger investment.

I am presuming they are franchised in which case they must be doing it tough.

Smith Coffee,big building, again on Hang Dong Rd near the turn off to the Night Safari is the same, dead as a dodo.There is a new Visa Agent office in that complex for those living in the south but lots of empty shops and another Star Ave is being built further south .Someone has deep pockets or knows a lot more than I do.

On ‎04‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 10:27 AM, dingdongrb said:

Thx ScottieJohn. Sorry I wasn't on TV much, if at all, during Dec/Jan as I was enjoying the holidays with the family so I guess I missed your original post. I was thinking that someone could had already posted on this topic but looking yesterday it seemed to me that the renovations had just recently started.

I did see some signs where it seemed that they were grouping like businesses together but I didn't see anything about what was going in the areas on the first floor under renovation. I guess I missed that.

Thanks again for the reply. I guess we can now wait for it all to be completed (half-arsed) in a few years.

I was told only education related is on the top floor when I went up there.