I have been denied Online Banking because of being a Foreigner at GSB.

I opened an account in many banks such as KTB, Kbank, SCBC , Bangkok bank etc . My last one was The Government saving bank  . I have been denied online banking at that particular bank because i am a foreigner. I have online banking in my other bank accounts since many years without having any problems. Have someone experienced This issue with The Government saving Bank GSB?

5 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Anyone had similar issues with GSB????

I don't think many foreigner use GSB except some who need to have an account there because of their work.

So I guess all retired foreigners use Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, SCB,....

I do not think it is the policy of the bank to discriminate against foreigners. It is probably the fact that the person you dealt with does not know how to open an online account. Rather than lose face and say they do not know how to. They tell you such things. I have come across it many times in Thailand.

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

If you were smart you would deposit millions into that account and then tell you are forced to close the account due to their prejudices against foreigners

All the different banks make up their own rules, the present boss of that GSB, is obviously prejudiced.

59 minutes ago, gamini said:

I do not think it is the policy of the bank to discriminate against foreigners. It is probably the fact that the person you dealt with does not know how to open an online account. Rather than lose face and say they do not know how to. They tell you such things. I have come across it many times in Thailand.

The OP should go and see the boss of that bank, as you could well be right.

There is a branch of TMB in Chiang Mai where the manager will not let me open an account because I don't have a work permit. Every few months I go in and bait him with the question and he gets quite flustered at times, other branches of TMB are quite happy to open an account for me but not this one. It's a ll a big game.

Lucky you. GSB have flatly refused to let me open an account, full stop. Thai only or work permit. Even got a relative there to vouch for me, still no go. I am on visa extension and have lived in Thailand for over 6 years ......

No experience with GSB but got the typical run around when opening my first BKK Bank account on a Non-O visa.  That done, I then asked for on-line banking, and we started the "can not" game all over again.   To be fair, it was a provincial branch not used to dealing with a lot of farang.  The front desk lady's default answer was "No" when, in reality, she should say, "I don't know, let me find out".  After intervention by the branch manager and phone calls to HQ in the Sky, everything worked out in the end. 

On 2/4/2017 at 7:14 PM, streetlite said:

The bank gave me a form to fill out and send to the main office. The written response was we only allow Thai citizens access to online banking privileges.

the same with me but this only apply to GSB.

Just another example of how individual "branches" of a bank implement the bank's policy (i.e., HQ policy) on foreigner/expat accounts differently (to include ibanking access).    A lot depends on branch management....some branches are just more farang--friendly than others.    

On 2/4/2017 at 4:30 PM, gamini said:

Several years ago my wife was the financial controller for a Scandinavian company. They dealt in shipping and employed senior staff from all over the world, she managed a great deal of their affairs. She told me a long time ago that the GSB was not a bank she could deal with for foreigners as they had a Thai only policy.

The policy may have changed but maybe not the attitude.

Around 12 years ago Krung Thai was the same, not allowing online banking for foreigners.  I suspect it was a systems problem, the system not being able to cope with passport numbers, rather than Thai ID Card numbers.

Even now, whenever I renew my passport I have a bit of a runaround with my other bank accounts.