N30 Red Stamp

I have a feeling that this particular immigration officer chose red ink for the expiration date of the permission to stay to make this date stand out, more easily to catch the traveller's attention.

The Thai letter in the field for visa class is พ and I have no idea for what Thai word or expression this is meant to be an abbreviation, but as Ubonjoe said immigration officers generally use it for visa-exempt entries. On one arrival stamp I have on file it has even been doubled to พพ

Arrival stamp visa-exempt.jpg

• Like 1

Red ink for the visa class "visa-exempt" was perhaps used to make this stamp easier to find for the immigration officer upon the traveller's next visa-exempt entry at a land border, given that such entries are currently limited to two per calendar year.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Red ink for the visa class "visa-exempt" was perhaps used to make this stamp easier to find for the immigration officer upon the traveller's next visa-exempt entry at a land border, given that such entries are currently limited to two per calendar year.

I agree. Given the new limit they've used a large red stamp to highlight the type of entry.

• 7 years later...
3 hours ago, kwilco said:

mine has ผ.60 - ม -17 on the rad entry stamp.

I understand that "ผ" indicates visa exempt but what does ม -17 stand for?

I remember that another member posted that ม.17 is a reference to section 17 of the Immigration Act, under the authority of which the new 60-day visa-exempt entry (VE-60) has been announced.

ผ is the first letter of the Thai word that has been translated as "special" in section 17 of the Immigration Act

is the first letter of the Thai word that has been translated as "section" in the Immigration Act.

Edited by Maestro
added last two paragraphs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

I remember that another member posted that ม.17 is a reference to section 17 of the Immigration Act, under the authority of which the new 60-day visa-exempt entry (VE-60) has been announced.

ผ is the first letter of the Thai word that has been translated as "special" in section 17 of the Immigration Act

is the first letter of the Thai word that has been translated as "section" in the Immigration Act.

thanks....