TOT Fiber2u New Packages 50-200 Mbps (700-1200 thb)

muratremix

AIS does the same....will throttle a "single stream" test to around 20Mb based on some tests I've just run and described below. 

I just used the DSLReports HTML5 speedtester (just as speedof.me is an HTML5 tester) to test to Singapore only.  The test will default to using up to 32 streams but really only uses 6 streams max per test server..  The other 26 streams are to be spread among other test server locations "if" you setup the test to test to more than one location at a time....like test to Singapore, Tokoya and XYZ in the same test.  

So, I did the test several times to Singapore-only by first setting the number of streams to "1."  I got approx a 20Mb result.  I then set it to 2 streams and got around 40Mb.  Setting the number of streams up to 5 got me up to around 90Mb.  And when going to 6 streams I was getting the full 100Mb speed like my earlier testmy.net and speedtest.net results reported.  

I also ran the speedof.me test with a VPN connection and got almost 40Mb this time with no truncation/clipping.  Guess the VPN connection was getting around some AIS single stream throttling/data shaping.   

Although testmy.net advertises itself as single thread tester is really more of a multi-stream/thread tester to more than one location unless you get all the test settings just right.  And speedtest.net can use up to 8 streams "if", repeat, if the speedtester server you are testing to is resourced to allow/handle 8 streams.  I think all speedtest.net servers are resourced to handle at least 4 streams.  Usually speedtest.net starts off using 4 streams and adjusts the number of streams upwards to either 6 or 8 streams  if the testing server is resourced to handle that many streams.

My experience (opinion) is testmy.net is more representative of the speed "I'm actually experiencing" just based on the feel of how fast my computer if browsing along, streaming video, etc.  It's a tougher speed test than speedtest.net in my opinion.  Hard to get a really bad result to international servers using Speedtest.net the way they have the test settup....it's seems to be geared to making the ISP look good.  Don't get me wrong...Speedtest.net is fine to use especially for "domestic" testing, but the testing to international sites may give very optimistic results....not wrong results based on their testing algorithm/method...just optimistic results.

So, based on my VPN test and DSLReports testing I just did/described, I guess AIS does throttle a "single stream" to around 20Mb. However, in today's internet and many of the applications/software being used multi-streaming vs single-streaming which means you zip along at a much higher speed.  However, live video streaming seems to use single-streams most of the time...will depend on the application use to view the stream and the streaming service itself. 

Both mutli-stream and single-stream testers should be used to evaluate your internet plan speed....and take all results with a big grain of salt.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

VPN probably bypassed.

IP 104.237.86.116 is in USA. There is no way it would get 14 ms ping and max. speed.

yeah, 14 is unusually high ping for me, i usually get 4 or 5 second ping, easily, especially to asian and pacific servers.

12 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

yeah, 14 is unusually high ping for me, i usually get 4 or 5 second ping, easily, especially to asian and pacific servers.

You are getting bogus ping times...or really testing to nearby servers although you think you might be testing to far-off servers in other countries.  For example, normal ping time just to Singapore would be around 30ms....start going farther than than and the ping time keeps climbing.  Sorry, the speed of light law still stands.

2 hours ago, muratremix said:

It seems on a single connection, TOT throttles singapore to around 20 mbps.

Speedtest is multi threaded (4 or 8) so you get max speed.

I tried speedof.me with IE and got 12Mbps down. 10 seconds later I did the same test with Chrome and got 129Mbps down.

Seems to me that speedof.me is the issue not TOT throttling.

http://speedtest.sgix.sg/ has always seemed fairly consistent to me, not that I completely trust the results from any of them.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

You are getting bogus ping times...or really testing to nearby servers although you think you might be testing to far-off servers in other countries.  For example, normal ping time just to Singapore would be around 30ms....start going farther than than and the ping time keeps climbing.  Sorry, the speed of light law still stands.

usa is far from se asia, even the uk ping is quite low, even seen speeds over 200Mbps on 150/20 service to servers all over asia

1 hour ago, bangkok101 said:

usa is far from se asia, even the uk ping is quite low, even seen speeds over 200Mbps on 150/20 service to servers all over asia

Regarding the part above I bolded....that is exactly why you will "not" get low ping times to the US or UK....probably around 200ms are the fastest realworld pings to those locations from SE Asia.   If you are getting significantly less that around 200ms, with or without VPN, I'm sorry you are just getting bogus ping times for some reason.  Sorry, the speed of light limit through a medium combined with delay in getting through electronics on the way applies.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

I tried speedof.me with IE and got 12Mbps down. 10 seconds later I did the same test with Chrome and got 129Mbps down.

Seems to me that speedof.me is the issue not TOT throttling.

http://speedtest.sgix.sg/ has always seemed fairly consistent to me, not that I completely trust the results from any of them.

I bet it's the ISP (i.e., TOT, AIS, 3BB, etc).  At this point in time I'm convinced of that based on the DSLReports testing I described a little earlier by varying the number of streams/threads to used from 1 through 6.   Using 1 stream/thread basically matched the speedof.me results....but at the 6 stream/thread point I was getting full speed of my 100Mb plan.  

Since speedof.me is locked to 1 stream/thread, how wide of a pipe your ISP allows per stream/thread will determine the speed.  The fact you got a really high speed in one test just tells me you somehow got around the throttling....maybe TOT just had a ton of available bandwidth available during that period of testing and they opened up the pipe to full speed.  I expect all ISPs are using dynamic throttling/data stream shaping on their international gateways which means international speed/bandwidth can change greatly from hour to hour, even minute to minute.  And the ISP probably has certain time periods like maybe during peak usage time such as late evening to around midnight the ISP cranks in additional data flow shaping controls.

See below which describes the Speedof.me testing....a "single thread" tester.   Now in the last bullet to where it says Speedof.me result are more representative of your internet "quality" (it didn't say capable speed...it said quality), if a person's  definition of his internet plan quality as the one having the highest single stream/thread speed, then I guess that statement is true.  But "multi-threading/streaming" is used all the time in many applications/by many sites, so your plan's capability to give fast multi-threading is also very important.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Pib

I just did some more testing "with and without a VPN connection" using Speedof.me.   On my AIS 100 plan, without a VPN connection I would get a consistent approx 20Mb download speed.  But switch to a VPN connection and I would get 40 to 60Mb.   I expect I got around some of AIS's single-stream throttling when on VPN.  Yeap, that's my guess.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Regarding the part above I bolded....that is exactly why you will "not" get low ping times to the US or UK....probably around 200ms are the fastest realworld pings to those locations from SE Asia.   If you are getting significantly less that around 200ms, with or without VPN, I'm sorry you are just getting bogus ping times for some reason.  Sorry, the speed of light limit through a medium combined with delay in getting through electronics on the way applies.

here ya go, spoon fed to you, now maybe you can calculate it.

speed of light:

Copper – 2.3 × 108 m/s

Fiber – 2.0 × 108 m/s

Vacuum: c =299,792,458 m/ per second (3.0 × 108 m/s)

2 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

here ya go, spoon fed to you, now maybe you can calculate it.

speed of light:

Copper – 2.3 × 108 m/s

Fiber – 2.0 × 108 m/s

Vacuum: c =299,792,458 m/ per second (3.0 × 108 m/s)

Awesome math.   Now convert that into some actual ping numbers while also taking in account electronics delay (i.e., servers, switches, amplifiers, etc along the line).  And for sure the further the test server is away (like in the US/Europe) the more electronics the internet electrons/photons must get through (i.e., be delayed X-amount in getting through those electronics), but the delay is not a linear relationship as the number of hops and delay amount can vary greatly depending on the routing.  But as a general rule of thumb you can use a 5 to 10ms amount per 1000 kilometers (remember use a roundtrip number).

And remember when tests show the distances that is usually one-way distance, not round trip distance.  So be sure to double the distance when doing math since speed testers generally report one way distance....but the ping time/latency being reported is round trip ping/latency.

So, what does your internet connection show ping time wise say to LA and Singapore?  Below is what my AIS Fibre connection shows at around 9:15pm on this Saturday night.    If you are showing significantly less like the approx 15ms times you were stating below, you are getting bogus numbers.

6082648516.png

6082658958.png

THEORETICAL RESPONSE TIME LIMITS OF PING

So, if we assume that a “ping” travels with the speed of light, which are the best possible response times we can get?

10 km -> 0.067 milliseconds
100 km -> 0.67 milliseconds
1,000 km -> 6.7 milliseconds
10,000 km -> 67 milliseconds

(Note that Ping shows the time for a roundtrip, i.e. 2 x the distance.)

PINGING BETWEEN EUROPE AND USA

The distance between New York and Paris is 5,839 km. For light to travel from New York to Paris and then back again would take 40 milliseconds.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2007/06/01/theoretical-vs-real-world-speed-limit-of-ping/

20 hours ago, bangkok101 said:

Your VPN must be using 'Wormhole' technology.

• 3 weeks later...

Something has changed on my AIS Fibre 100/10 plan over the last few days....even during prime/peak usage time....hope its permanent.  

That change is my bufferbloat has went for scoring a C up to scoring an A or A+, which means I have very little bufferbloat on upload now.    I use the DSLReports Speedtester for the bufferbloat testing.  

Below test to Singapore was run just a few minutes ago but it reflects what I've been seeing for a few days now...instead of a C score for bufferbloat I now get A or A+....always got A's on Overall and Quality....it was just the bufferbloat score that use to be a C.  As mentioned, hope the change is permanent....I can happily accept straight A+'s..

Capture.JPG

TOT is so poor tonight. I have a 25mb fibre connection and im getting 6mb on Ookla which is never right.

Tested my connection on mytest.com and getting 1mb.

I already pay twice as much as the mainland and the product is awful.

Cant even watch a sd stream.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:46 PM, thedemon said:

The link is at the top of the op. This one: http://www.tot.co.th/fiber2u/

You should be able to change package to one of these but they will probably ask you for a THB1000 penalty fee if you just signed up last month.

Until now we haven't made any contact with TOT to complain but our Fibreoptic 599THB/m has now changed from 15/2mbps to 35/16mbps for same price. No complaints with that, so thanks TOT!

On 3/17/2017 at 8:19 AM, Pib said:

Something has changed on my AIS Fibre 100/10 plan over the last few days....even during prime/peak usage time....hope its permanent.  

That change is my bufferbloat has went for scoring a C up to scoring an A or A+, which means I have very little bufferbloat on upload now.    I use the DSLReports Speedtester for the bufferbloat testing.  

Below test to Singapore was run just a few minutes ago but it reflects what I've been seeing for a few days now...instead of a C score for bufferbloat I now get A or A+....always got A's on Overall and Quality....it was just the bufferbloat score that use to be a C.  As mentioned, hope the change is permanent....I can happily accept straight A+'s..

Capture.JPG

Just an update on my improved blufferboat.    Been 10 days since I posted above about my AIS 100/10 Fibre "bufferbloat" score increasing from a C to a A or A+.   I've run at least one DSLReports test to Singapore daily since posting above and each time I got a bullerbloat score of A or A+.   And the speed and overall scores remaining A+'s.   Just ran a test a few minutes ago (Monday morning) to Singapore...once again got an A+ bufferbloat score.   Either DSLReports change their scoring algorithm or AIS and improved it upload side of its network.  I don't think the improved score is due to DSLReports changing anything since I have also noticed difference is upload speed test results when using other speed testers.   Your results may vary....my plan is fibre all the way to my residence....not VDSL for the final X-meters....I'm in western Bangkok.

Capture.JPG.80fb4ad708c82c9ef040064daec82f4d.JPG

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Is this offer available everywhere ?

Provided there's fiber cabled in your area then yes.

27 minutes ago, Stocky said:
1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Is this offer available everywhere ?

Provided there's fiber cabled in your area then yes.

While I have Fiber, our local TOT office previously said the Extreme options weren't available, as the local network lacked the capacity to support the higher speeds, when I requested to switch me from 30/3 to 50/20mbps.

When paying this month's bill at the office they said the extreme package was now available to my area and handed me the forms to fill out.  Rather than fill in the forms and take them back I found the option for upgrading/changing packages online, though I have yet to hear back from them on when it might happen.

https://www.toteservice.com/MainEs/#   

(scroll down to "Apply/Change Package")

40 minutes ago, RichCor said:

... though I have yet to hear back from them on when it might happen.

They may not tell you, just do an occasional speedtest.

On 21/03/2017 at 10:36 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

Until now we haven't made any contact with TOT to complain but our Fibreoptic 599THB/m has now changed from 15/2mbps to 35/16mbps for same price. No complaints with that, so thanks TOT!

I wonder if I have not the same thing . I got a 30/15 fiber connection ( 750 bahts ) last september , today, after reading this thread, I made a test with speed test, and I have 50.4/19.35 for the same price, nobody told me anything : I can see films in streaming  from Europe several hours, no buffer at all . did TOT upgrade my connection , free ? 

Thanks 

4 hours ago, RichCor said:

While I have Fiber, our local TOT office previously said the Extreme options weren't available, as the local network lacked the capacity to support the higher speeds, when I requested to switch me from 30/3 to 50/20mbps.

When paying this month's bill at the office they said the extreme package was now available to my area and handed me the forms to fill out.  Rather than fill in the forms and take them back I found the option for upgrading/changing packages online, though I have yet to hear back from them on when it might happen.

https://www.toteservice.com/MainEs/#   

(scroll down to "Apply/Change Package")

Tot website seems good now.

Surprised that a public company can be competitive.

2 hours ago, Aforek said:

I wonder if I have not the same thing . I got a 30/15 fiber connection ( 750 bahts ) last september , today, after reading this thread, I made a test with speed test, and I have 50.4/19.35 for the same price, nobody told me anything : I can see films in streaming  from Europe several hours, no buffer at all . did TOT upgrade my connection , free ? 

Thanks 

Most ISPs leave you to suffer as the original contract speed and price. 

But for whatever reason TOT has, for the last few years, been silently upgrading people to the newer promotional speeds ad the same contractual price (if their line and router are compatible).

If you get a printed bill you should see the new speed agreement listed under "Type of Service" along with pricing details. 

They've upgraded my contract speeds twice previously without letting me know (each time updating the text the billing notice).  I think the local network capacity issues here where I live threw a wrench into their recent adjustment process and they just haven't got around to revisiting revisiting the process for the locals.  I got a bit antsy and asked about the upgrade, but they hadn't been ready until just now.  They gave me the option of lowering the price or upping the speed.

No change under the "type of service ", may be it's very new, it's the first time for a long time that I do a test; if so, normally they will low the price because the new promotion is 700 bahts and I pay 750 bahts 

I shall have a  look at my bill next month  thanks for your response 

Most ISPs leave you to suffer as the original contract speed and price. 
But for whatever reason TOT has, for the last few years, been silently upgrading people to the newer promotional speeds ad the same contractual price (if their line and router are compatible).

If you get a printed bill you should see the new speed agreement listed under "Type of Service" along with pricing details. 

They've upgraded my contract speeds twice previously without letting me know (each time updating the text the billing notice).  I think the local network capacity issues here where I live threw a wrench into their recent adjustment process and they just haven't got around to revisiting revisiting the process for the locals.  I got a bit antsy and asked about the upgrade, but they hadn't been ready until just now.  They gave me the option of lowering the price or upping the speed.

3BB has always automatically upgraded my package when the speed at that price point has been increased.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

19 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

3BB has always automatically upgraded my package when the speed at that price point has been increased.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

True, 2 years ago, I was with 3BB adsl and I had an upgrade from them for the same price ( I learned it when reading this forum, I checked the speed and it was true ) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/05/2017 at 8:22 PM, Aforek said:

No change under the "type of service ", may be it's very new, it's the first time for a long time that I do a test; if so, normally they will low the price because the new promotion is 700 bahts and I pay 750 bahts 

I shall have a  look at my bill next month  thanks for your response 

today, I received my new bill, and if the price stays the same ( normal, after all, I am not a new customer ), under the " type of service ", something changes : before, it was  "strong fiber up to 30 Mb/ 15 Mb ", and now, it is " strong fiber up to 80 Mb/20 Mb" ; now, I have 50  Mb, I suppose that in the future, I shall get a new upgrade to 80 Mb, always with the price : good !

but they never told me anything, not even an e-mail