Changing tourist vis to a retirement extension

I am wondering if I can change a toursist visa to a 12 month retirment extension in country. I have more than 800,000 in a Thai bank but it is in a joint account with my Thai wife. I can get a letter from the US embassy ensuring tht I have more that 65K a month coming in. Would I need to leave the country to apply or could I apply locally. Thanks.

You would have to first apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration before applying for the extension based upon retirement. You would need 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry from your tourist visa or the 30 day extension of it.  Not all immigration offices can do it. Where are you located?

You can use a income affidavit from the US embassy to prove your income to apply for the change and the extension,

Yes, but you can't apply for a non 'O' visa at all local offices and might have to do it in Bangkok.

You need at least 15 days left of your current permit to stay. If you have less than that you could extend your 60 day entry by another 30 days for tourism or by 60 days to visit your wife.

They won't accept the 800K if it's in a joint account, but if you have a certified income in excess of 65K you can use that.

You need to make two trips to immigration. On the first you apply for the non immigrant visa which costs 2,000 baht. On the second they stamp the visa in your passport and give you a 90 day permit to stay.

Within the last 30 (maybe 45) days of that 90 you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay (1,900 baht) and will have to prove your income again.

I got my non-immigration 'O' yesterday using the income letter option. You have to have the letter stamped and validated at the office of consular affairs in Bangkok. I had read that they do a same day service for 800 baht. When I asked for it I was told that you had to request it before 09:30. Ended up having it posted to me. Immigration at Jomtien also made it clear that a copy of that income letter wouldn't suffice when applying for the extension in 60 or so days time. They insisted on another original. My understanding is that one won't need verifying but they seem to change procedures as they see fit. Interested to hear what experience others have had.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

A friend of mine has an non-immigrant OA visa and wants to apply for an extension based on retirement.  She believes that she was told that she could apply for the extension at Changwattana (Bangkok) when she has 45 days left on her visa.  This would suit her better than having to wait until there are only 30 days left.  It true that she can apply when there are 45 days remaining?  Thanks! 

7 hours ago, SFO2BKK said:

A friend of mine has an non-immigrant OA visa and wants to apply for an extension based on retirement.  She believes that she was told that she could apply for the extension at Changwattana (Bangkok) when she has 45 days left on her visa.  This would suit her better than having to wait until there are only 30 days left.  It true that she can apply when there are 45 days remaining?  Thanks! 

She can apply for the extension during the last 45 days of her current permit to stay from her last entry from the OA visa not the visas expiration date.

If her visa is still valid she could leave and re-enter the country to get another one year entry on or before the enter before date on it.

• Like 1

So immigration in jomtien says that you need the pension letter from the British embassy certified and stamped at MAF or is that Bangkok Immigration saying that? I have never had a pension letter certified for any extension.

Why will a copy of the pension letter not be proof of funds to get a change of visa ? You would need the original to use for the extension so if that is the rule of Jomtien then it will cost you twice to get a pension letter does this apply in Bangkok.  So if this is there rule then bank book and bank letter is the way to go for a change of visa at bangkok and show them a copy of your pension letter just as back up.  Its over 50 pounds a letter so why give it away for a change of visa?  

2 minutes ago, scotsman said:

So immigration in jomtien says that you need the pension letter from the British embassy certified and stamped at MAF or is that Bangkok Immigration saying that? I have never had a pension letter certified for any extension.

Why will a copy of the pension letter not be proof of funds to get a change of visa ? You would need the original to use for the extension so if that is the rule of Jomtien then it will cost you twice to get a pension letter does this apply in Bangkok.  So if this is there rule then bank book and bank letter is the way to go for a change of visa at bangkok and show them a copy of your pension letter just as back up.  Its over 50 pounds a letter so why give it away for a change of visa?  

Jomtien only want the signature on the income letter certified to do change to a non immigrant visa.  Not to apply for an extension. Bangkok does not require the certification.

Normally they do not want a new income letter when you apply for the extension. They get the original from the visa application so you can use it.

Its a good job I found out about this rule in Jomtien before my brother goes there next week as he does not have it certified and if he has to go to Bangkok anyway to get this done he might as well go to Bangkok immigration and apply for change there and go back in 15 days time.  After all the problems in Jomtein about getting anything from this lady I would not trust them to give you a extension without the original pension letter,

regards

Scotsman  

Jomtien only want the signature on the income letter certified to do change to a non immigrant visa.  Not to apply for an extension. Bangkok does not require the certification.
Normally they do not want a new income letter when you apply for the extension. They get the original from the visa application so you can use it.

Ex

I was surprised, based on what I'd read on the expat site, when they told me that I would have to get another original for the extension. When I tried to politely question that statement I was swiftly put in my place and told it was most definitely required. I had already taken a colour copy of the verified letter used for visa change. If I do indeed have to get another original it would not surprise me in the least to learn that it requires verifying. Their consistency in administrative procedures is woeful. That said it would also not surprise me to hear that this change is not being enforced and a copy suffices. Hence my asking for other people's experience. It is possible that I upset them when one tried to scam me for new I/d photos to replace the 'old' ones taken in December just before flying out! Again my response was polite and reasonable.

9 minutes ago, hargri said:

Ex

I was surprised, based on what I'd read on the expat site, when they told me that I would have to get another original for the extension. When I tried to politely question that statement I was swiftly put in my place and told it was most definitely required. I had already taken a colour copy of the verified letter used for visa change. If I do indeed have to get another original it would not surprise me in the least to learn that it requires verifying. Their consistency in administrative procedures is woeful. That said it would also not surprise me to hear that this change is not being enforced and a copy suffices. Hence my asking for other people's experience. It is possible that I upset them when one tried to scam me for new I/d photos to replace the 'old' ones taken in December just before flying out! Again my response was polite and reasonable.

I know that for an extension based on Retirement or marriage you don't need your pension letter certified in Bangkok and in Jomtien immigration you will see a different person than the lady for change visa, but they will not except a copy for that extension it has to be the original.  

regards

Scotsman 

It is possible apply for an extension of stay with  such a plans ? :
-Arrival with SE Visa.

-In the meantime  get married :smile:
-Before expiry go to neighbouring country  for a couple of days  , which give me  extra 30 days upon arrival  

-And then after 15 days  apply for 60 days extension  to visit my new wife ? If so, I can do it in every Immigration Office  or only in Bangkok ?

Thanks 

27 minutes ago, observerhaters said:

It is possible apply for an extension of stay with  such a plans ? :
-Arrival with SE Visa.

-In the meantime  get married :smile:
-Before expiry go to neighbouring country  for a couple of days  , which give me  extra 30 days upon arrival  

-And then after 15 days  apply for 60 days extension  to visit my new wife ? If so, I can do it in every Immigration Office  or only in Bangkok ?

Thanks 

I assume you mean a single entry tourist visa that allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Once you are married it would be best to get a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would allow a 90 day entry instead of a 30 day visa exempt entry. A multiple entry visa would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. If you got a 60 day extension of the 90 day entry that would allow almost 5 months of stay without leaving the country.

You can apply for the 60 day extension to visit your wife at any immigration office.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Once you are married it would be best to get a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage 

Thank you  @ubonjoe but if I understood correctly for such a visa "marriage"   I must meet the financial requirement  etc..

AND I do not want to stay in Thailand as long as possible .I wanna take my wife to EU :smile: 

6 minutes ago, observerhaters said:

Thank you  @ubonjoe but if I understood correctly for such a visa "marriage"   I must meet the financial requirement  etc..

AND I do not want to stay in Thailand as long as possible .I wanna take my wife to EU :smile: 

You don't need financial proof to get the visas I mentioned dependent upon where you apply for it. A single entry non-o visa can obtained in Vientiane and in Savannakhet a single or multiple entry visa can be obtained without financial proof.

Once again thank you for clarification but could you please be so kind and explain what's kind of visa ? (found in internet) :

...."   Things You Need To Know About The Thai Marriage Visa:

• Thailand marriage visa is the popular term for "1-Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage".
  • This is a long term Thai visa issued to a foreign national who is married to a Thai and meets the other requirements of the immigration bureau.
  • The Thai marriage visa holder is entitled permission to stay for a full year in Thailand without the need to exit the country.
  • The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).
  • The Thailand Marriage Visa also allows the holder to work in Thailand when the visa holder is able to obtain a valid Thai Work Permit to go along with the visa.

QUALIFICATIONS

• Must be married to a Thai national

This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate. There are instances (depending on the processing immigration office) when a copy of an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry is also required. This affirmation is obtained by the foreigner from his embassy in Thailand.

• Must meet the financial requirement  

Supporting documents as proof of the security deposit in a Thai bank are as follows:

• Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
    • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income
    • Updated bank book or passbook
    • Bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
  • Other documents that may be required to be presented:*
    • Police Clearance
    • Medical Certificate

* These are not required if the visa application is submitted inside Thailand, though there are rare occasions, however, when an official from the Thai embassy or consulate may ask for these documents before issuance of the visa....."

Thank you

Edited by observerhaters

She can apply for the extension during the last 45 days of her current permit to stay from her last entry from the OA visa not the visas expiration date.

If her visa is still valid she could leave and re-enter the country to get another one year entry on or before the enter before date on it.

Could you explain this further please " If her visa is still valid she could leave and re-enter the country to get another one year entry on or before the enter before date on it."

38 minutes ago, bastco said:

Could you explain this further please " If her visa is still valid she could leave and re-enter the country to get another one year entry on or before the enter before date on it."

If the holder of an O-A Visa enters the country, they get a 1 year permitted-stay stamp each time, while the visa is active - where "active" is any day up to the "enter before" date on the visa. 

If entering Thailand before, but close to the "enter before" date of the visa, they can obtain 1-year of permitted stay from that entry-date, such that a person can get about 2-years of "permitted stay" from a Non-O-A Visa.  The visa "dies" on the enter before date, but whatever permitted-stay you have, lives on.  For example, if the "enter before" date was May 10, 2017, and they enter the country on May 9, 2017, they will get a permitted stay until May 8, 2018.

Be aware that if leaving and re-entering Thailand during that 2nd year, after the "enter before" date of the visa has already passed, they would need to get a "re-entry permit" to preserve their last permitted-stay stamp.

10 hours ago, observerhaters said:

Once again thank you for clarification but could you please be so kind and explain what's kind of visa ? (found in internet) :

Things You Need To Know About The Thai Marriage Visa:

• Thailand marriage visa is the popular term for "1-Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage".

Those first two lines explain your confusion. An extension is applied for at a immigration office. In order to apply for the extension you need a non-o visa entry.

A non-o visa based upon marriage is applied for at a embassy or consulate.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those first two lines explain your confusion. An extension is applied for at a immigration office. In order to apply for the extension you need a non-o visa entry.

A non-o visa based upon marriage is applied for at a embassy or consulate.

Great news for me, you are very helpful ! Regards

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

If I have a Pattaya address, can I still use  Cheang Wattana Road Immigration for my Non o and extension based on retirement?

Thanks

No you cannot. You can only apply at Jomtien since you are living in Pattaya.

Bangkok will normally do the conversion to a nonimmigrant visa for people living where the designated office cannot accept the application for it. But a person using a Udon address was recently turned away.