What's Your Claim To Fame?

ourmanflint

I had a game of Snooker with Alex "Hurricane" Higgins once. R.I.P. He gave me a 30 points start and he played with one arm behind his back. He beat me 86-31 :o

Played cards with "taggart" on the train.

Met many famous people whilst doing "extra" work for various TV programmes.

Bought Sting a drink and he even bought me one back :D

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a game of Snooker with Alex "Hurricane" Higgins once. R.I.P. He gave me a 30 points start and he played with one arm behind his back. He beat me 86-31 :o

Played cards with "taggart" on the train.

Met many famous people whilst doing "extra" work for various TV programmes.

Bought Sting a drink and he even bought me one back :D

As far as i know he is still alive????

I used to clean larry Grayson's windows.

I sat there many times as he showed me pictures of him with Julie Andrews and loads of other famous people that, at that age, I didn't know.

Also met one of the singers from Buck's Fizz (is that deer pizz) and she was a miserable cow.

Now I come to mention it. I shared a gym with Chris Akibuzzie (spelt wrong I'm sure) and bumped into Micheal Elphick in a theatre queue. He was pretty cool.

Now that I'm clutching for straws. I sat on the same sofa that 'Nichole' from the Clio adverts (British referance) slept on.

I also failed to recognize 'Easy E' from NWA in a record shop.

I once peddled a pedlo around wotsit Stringfellow's boat in Spain. I have been reminded that I called out "I don't care what The Sun says about you, I hope I can shag girls that fit when I'm your age". The modal that was with him told us fork off but Stringfellow threw us a bag full of beers into the sea.

Now that I see that in print it seems very sad.

Among the people I've met, spoken too, nodded at, etc. include Tina Turner, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Suzie Q, Nick Cave, that drunk lead singer from the Progues, the King of Malaysia, the Prime Minister of Israel, Pope John Paul's private secretary (didn't get close to the papa himself), Rodger Federer and dozens of other celebs, sporting icons and pollies.

In a former life, among other things, I used to work for Immigration at a major airport. :o

I had a game of Snooker with Alex "Hurricane" Higgins once. R.I.P. He gave me a 30 points start and he played with one arm behind his back. He beat me 86-31 :D

Sorry, yeah i think your right. I remember him getting throat cancer or something, several years ago and thought he had died. Sorry Alex :o

I had a game of Snooker with Alex "Hurricane" Higgins once. R.I.P. He gave me a 30 points start and he played with one arm behind his back. He beat me 86-31 :D

Sorry, yeah i think your right. I remember him getting throat cancer or something, several years ago and thought he had died. Sorry Alex :D

You know I was convinced he had died, and so when I saw this thread I searched all over, and it appears as though old Alex is still with us!!!

You and me must have read the same newspapers several years ago Mr B :o

And i used to live opposite Jody Morris' (used to play for chelsea) mums house and my mum bought a house a few years back next to a kiddy fiddler who had been on Roger Cook although she didn't know at the time

my grandad was left back for aberdeen,used to say " lang may y lumbs reek" have only read three books in my life but one was about rabbie burns which kinda said;....why would he use this as a greeting ,well known for his wit.....a doublee entendre...lumbs was only described as a vessal for fluid but was also used for the penis..etc.etc.......thats what the book said not me

I spent the last 20 minutes reading this thread in hopes that Roller Girl would fess up. What the hel_l is wrong with me. :o

yes,

i been trying to get it out of her as well mate but she wont come clean. :D

she did tell me that she might tell me one day so watch this space. :D

I've been guest listed for the Jam, Depeche Mode and OMD. I used to speak with Jodie Marsh and Frank lampard junior. I have met Michael Jackson and Nick Kershaw. I had a drink with a band in a travel lodge sort of hotel (think alan Partridges home, they turned out to be the smashing pumpkins (?) a bit sad when you compare them to other peoples experiences.

My claim to fame is that I saw John Cleese perform his first "Ministry of Silly walks" sketch and I am in the background!!!

Big deal :D

and I have met Sir Douglas Hurd (twice as he was my local MP)and Michael Hessletine when he was Deputy Prime Minister

again no big deal

Ah I forgot...I interviewed Micheal Parkinson the most famous of Britich Chat show hosts.

Who he has not interviewed is not worth interviewing. It was my first ever interview with someone famous...I managed to bluff my way through it OK though...he never sussed out that I was not a reporter :o

• 3 weeks later...

This thread seems to be staying firmly on the

rails and well within the comfort zone.

Nobody who peddled smack to Kieth Richards

or sold a gerbil to a Hollywood superstar while

working in an LA pet shop.

"Claim to fame" seems to consist of coming

within the personal space of a "personality".

Only time I recollect that I didn't even know

who the guy was.

We were on this package deal out of Dublin

bound for Corfu and the guy next to me

starts a polite conversation. When he dropped

the line "Do you travel much , I do with the band".

I rejected the "What band's that and who are

you?" response and just gave a banal answer.

Your man was Jim McCann who was then playing

with the Dubliners.

This is hardly a claim to fame , more a claim

to an apalling ignorance of popular culture in

the land of my birth.

We had a great holiday and , when he could

be persuaded , mista Jim provided the group

with some excellent music at the end of the evening.

I even bought some of his records when I got back

to Dublin.

:o

ok....

Saw the Beatles drinking in a pub near the studios in 1965...Mum let us sneak in for a look after she had met them.

Family got a special wave from Harold Wilson....we were running down Downing Street to see him and my sister tripped over, he saw it and pointed to his wife and they both waved at us.

Told Liz Taylor that my mum was prettier than her....well I was young then...ended up with Mum buying her bed and me and my brother shared it.

Had my injured knee dressed by the original Friar Tuck from the Robin Hood TV show. Gave us lemonade with ice while he bandaged both mine and my brothers knees.

Nearly got run over by Roger Moore.

Parents were friends with Benny Hill for short time.

Got to use a dalek from the Dr Who series.

Oz wise....have had a beer with Russel Morris, Angus Young played my guitar once. Have met members of the Daly Wilson Big Band...and heard the demo tape for Jimmy and the Boys before it hit the charts....used to see Old'55 when they were a pub band.

Did security for The Ramones when they played in Canberra supported by the Reels.

My mate is married to a girl who was in Picnic at Hanging Rock....she was the larger girl with glasses who ran down the rock crying..Her real name is Christine, she was sixteen at the time.

Perth wise....have been on good speaking terms with Alison Fan and other journos and a number of high profile lawyers. Also been talking terms with some people of high noteriety...but I wont name them.

Edited by gburns57au

Met Yanni at the Bangkok Airport. We both boarded the same flight, but I was in the back, not him...

The funny thing, is that I was playing his CD "Live at the Acropolis" while waiting for my flight, when I saw him....Got his signature.....Quite a nice guy

Janis signed my jacket at a concert in Pasadena in 1968...recently met Bernie Ahern an' had a brief chat when he visited our power station wid de Minister ob Finance of Bahrain...but that pales in comparison to de experiences ob our our assembeled brethren...

I forgot...I was the man on de moon on de famous video shot in 1969...'a huge step fer mankind...', sure was hot in dat suit onna sound lot in Burbank...

I was gave Billy Joel a tour of the dining facility at Clark AB in the PI about 15 years ago. A few girls showed up asking for his autograph. He took a few glossy pictures of himself out from a brief case. They had his autograph on them but it looked like a machine had signed his name. I whipped out a pen and tried to get him to sign a few for these military people. After an exchange of a few rude words between me and Billy he sicked his body guard on me and walked away. I then had to leave soon also before his guard sat on me.

• 3 years later...