Finnish man goes to Pattaya police claiming extortion

webfact

Finnish man goes to Pattaya police claiming extortion

4am.jpg

Image: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: -- A Finnish man has gone to Pattaya police to claim that he and a fellow countryman have been extorted out of money.

Hannu Tapani, 47, said that a friend of his had been arrested on assault charges which he denied. He was then prosecuted for overstaying his visa instead, reported Pattaya News.

They had then met a man who they believed was an officer called "Wit" who said that for 25,000 baht he could make the charges "go away". "Wit" was aged about 35-40.

He said he had connections to the Pattaya Station chief and the Chonburi governor.

Meanwhile the friend, a fellow Finn, was being held in jail.

The bribe was paid in two instalments firstly at a location in Pattaya then outside the station where they saw "Wit" coming and going believing him to be attached to the police.

But when the friend appeared in court the charges did not go away and he was remanded in custody.

Mr Tapani then said he contacted "Wit" over the phone who assured him it would all be alright if he paid another 10,000 baht.

Wit has not been seen since.

Police took the complaint and were preparing to interview those concerned again last night.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-22

To say that this guy deserves to be taken would be to cruel and unfair,

as we're all a bit like him at some points in our lives, but you have to

ask yourself, how far can some people gullibility and naivety goes before they

wake up to the fact that they were daft to believe a man from the street?....

I hope the Finn at least had the sense to get a photo or video with his smart phone of the so called 'Wit' as he already has had face-to-face with him.

A video of him coming and going from the police station as claimed would help narrow down denial. If it ever came to that.................;)

At the moment, IMO the Finn(s) have left themselves open to charges of bribery to pervert the course of justice. Again, IMO, this is not extortion but being conned with failed promises. 

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Most people from the West dont automatically assume that everyone is lying to them, which is what one really needs to do here to stay ahead of the game

Assume until proven to the contrary the Thai person, man or woman, you are dealing with, is either not entirely truthful or downright lying to you.

Yeah, you have contacts at the police? OK. Let's go and meet them. I want to have a talk with them, see their badges, and then we can talk about handing over some money. Show me the proof. Until then, you will be considered a scam artist, or no worthiness or import.

Some people will do anything to avoid working for a living. 

People get desperate to help their friends who have to endure terrible conditions unjustly incarcerated in Thailand . Once this happens 

many plausible con men both on the inside and outside offer to help the victims . Please don't judge the Finn too harshly and i hope they catch the con man involved.

8 minutes ago, jippytum said:

People get desperate to help their friends who have to endure terrible conditions unjustly incarcerated in Thailand . Once this happens 

many plausible con men both on the inside and outside offer to help the victims . Please don't judge the Finn too harshly and i hope they catch the con man involved.

Nice and balanced maybe a bit to humane for all the flame throwers here. 

How you call this?

"They had then met a man who they believed was an officer called "Wit" who said that for 25,000 baht he could make the charges "go away"."

For me it's a clear BRIBE what him paid!!! Maybe to the wrong man but it's still a bribe.

On 2017/2/21 at 4:26 PM, KittenKong said:

Most people from the West dont automatically assume that everyone is lying to them, which is what one really needs to do here to stay ahead of the game.

Yes, that's right. The Thais are good in this game. They can say things in such a relax off handed way that makes you want to believe them.

They give the impression that they are just trying to help you.

Mr. Wit probably is attached to the police in some way and some how and all part of the sad ruse they perpetrate.

Good chance the victim is telling his sad story to one of the police officers who is in on the ruse and part of the deception.

Now I could be wrong ...but meantime.....someone tell me why exactly I would be thinking like that after living in Thailand for 28 years

I wonder why I would be thinking like that....?

Hmmm ...let us count the reasons why...lol

Cheers

The friend of the Finn is the same man that was attacked in a Jomtien bar a few days ago I believe. You can find the story here on TV. 

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, balo said:

The friend of the Finn is the same man that was attacked in a Jomtien bar a few days ago I believe. You can find the story here on TV. 

Those Finns are always getting stabbed in the back. No Norwegian would, I presume.

Edited by champers

• 2 weeks later...