CM traffic blitz around moat

wadsy

6 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Those IDPs have always annoyed me .No one ever looked at them,waved the bloody thing through the Window,even begged for someone to look only got silly grins,whilst they scanned Brit Or Cali one.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The funny thing about the IDP is it is only a translation of your license, and it's not even in Thai. No one tests for it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The funny thing about the IDP is it is only a translation of your license, and it's not even in Thai. No one tests for it.

Yes, that is exactly what it is supposed to be. Why would you need a test for it?

14 minutes ago, dcnx said:

When the police are giving people tickets in direct violation of their own traffic laws and Geneva convention agreement, it's a scam and illegal.

If you don't wear a helmet that is illegal, and you should be stopped. But if you have a valid license from your home country and your country has an agreement with Thailand, they are illegally issuing you a ticket.

Being an American, and not being a lawyer, I'd hesitate to try to understand American law, to say nothing of Thai law. But... if you believe something illegal has been done to you, some criminal injustice has been served on you, you have the right to take it to court. Let those who study the law work out its intricacies. That will certainly have more effect than crying about it here.

Unless, of course,  you feel that the courts are in collusion with all this alleged illegal behavior... and perhaps the entire country is out to get you.

7 hours ago, wadsy said:

I could understand the need for an IDP IF there was Thai translation on it but there is not.

Perhaps not in the one that was issued by your country. There are about 150 member countries who recognize the IDP. Would you like to pay for a book with 150 translations in it, or carry one around in your pocket? Each country decides which translations it will include in its IDP. They are not the same for every member country.

I got told by someone who knows wife of a one of 'them' here that most of that money goes to the level above 'them' so the pressure/thumb-screws on 'them' gets taken down a notch...accountability/surprise inspections etc from further up the chain of command.

3rd-hand info, but over here I can believe it.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

When the police are giving people tickets in direct violation of their own traffic laws and Geneva convention agreement, it's a scam and illegal.

If you don't wear a helmet that is illegal, and you should be stopped. But if you have a valid license from your home country and your country has an agreement with Thailand, they are illegally issuing you a ticket.

Your home license or back home IDP is only good for 89 days I believe. I think you then should get the local license for long-stay.

If you are in a crash over 90 days with no local license this may be an issue and it may be seized upon $$$$$$$$$$. Whether this non-Thai driving documentation 89-day rule resets to zero leaving/re-entering is another layer of confusion.

Local license and first class insurance - highly recommended here.

I got pulled on canal road about a week ago for an illegal turn (that everybody does). Wasn't a check point, just a chancer... illegal turn, just act stupid say "I didn't know." Next try license... international license plus local. Next try, that not motorbike helmet, it bicycle helmet. My reply 'mate this helmet is more expensive and stronger than the motorbike helmets sold in Tesco". Copper shrugs, laughs and waves me on...

Just remembers ,I did get asked for one boarding an African Car Ferry .The nice man snatched my Brit Firearms Cert n copied the details ,ah well.[emoji68]?‍[emoji574]️

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Watch out for the loner cop back again outside the Hard Rock Cafe. He went missing for a while.

I watched the Thae Pae checks a week ago, they ignore old Thai people with no helmet.

BIB pulled over 3 schoolboys on one bike, no helmets, made them all get off the bike....30 seconds later the 3 boys were on their way. I wonder what was said.

Next try, that not motorbike helmet, it bicycle helmet. My reply 'mate this helmet is more expensive and stronger than the motorbike helmets sold in Tesco". 

So was it a bicycle helmet or a motorcycle helmet? Meaning, was he right and you were in the wrong? 

Someone could check, but I think the law requires a helmet designed for motorcycle drivers' use, not that of a bicyclist.

The quality or strength of a legitimate helmet is not a legal matter. 

By the way, are we legally obligated to pull over and stop (and produce ID) to a foreigner "guest volunteer" police official? My gut reaction is no, but I am not sure of the law here. 

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

By the way, are we legally obligated to pull over and stop (and produce ID) to a foreigner "guest volunteer" police official? My gut reaction is no, but I am not sure of the law here. 

I've never seen him doing the actual stopping of vehicles. He's always been on the sidewalk, checking documents, when I've seen him. 

Today I noticed something new... There are now two extra cops, one about 100m before the check-point, and a second one about 100m past the check-point. I have a feeling that anyone attempting to run the blockade is going to go down hard...

Sat in Maddogs today for about 90 minutes and watched that so called traffic liason Farang do his stuff. What a joke, this guy is helping the corrupt, money grubbing BIB's pad their wallets at the expense of nearly every Farang on a rental motorbike who passes their way. I did observe a few older guys get in his face. He should be ashamed of himself as he is nothing more than rat stoolie. I had my friend drive the checkpoint on our way back home and as we rolled slowly by due to riders being pulled over I rolled down my window and let him hear what I thought about him. Oh I hope one day to be pulled over and have this earsling try to shake me down.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Next try, that not motorbike helmet, it bicycle helmet. My reply 'mate this helmet is more expensive and stronger than the motorbike helmets sold in Tesco". 
So was it a bicycle helmet or a motorcycle helmet? Meaning, was he right and you were in the wrong? 
Someone could check, but I think the law requires a helmet designed for motorcycle drivers' use, not that of a bicyclist.

Yes, we need to produce to him ( The police volunteer) if only he is wearing a V/police uniform or wearing a Thai volunteer police card. If he doesn't, you can don't stop and keep going unless the other Thai police man stopped you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

22 hours ago, Trujillo said:

He was fishing. He and I knew this. Hence the laugh and wave on. It is a strong bicycle helmet, unlike the tin cans sold all over this country.

Not one, but now two of Chiang Mai's finest hang around almost every day from 2 till about 5pm mostly checking Facebook and occasionally looking up to see if any bikes have had the audacity to cut across the intersection of Loi Kroh/ Changklan road near Mc Donalds. A trivial violation in anyone's books, especially in the afternoon when Changklan road is quiet. Whilst they are 'busy' there the intersection at the Governor's house near Nawarat is invariably grid-locked as cars go through red lights to block the intersection.

That intersection, besides being the worst for drivers blocking it, is getting worse. Whereas it used to be blocked from about 4.30 till 5.30 pm it is now from about 2pm till 6pm. It is also the nearest intersection in all of Chiang Mai ....... to the Traffic Police HQ by the river!

1 hour ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

It is also the nearest intersection in all of Chiang Mai ....... to the Traffic Police HQ by the river!

eerr ummm errr 

the old traffic police station by the river has been demolished :)

the same as all of the old immigration offices by the airport .. gone !

dave2

traffic police station mea ping 9 nov 11 2011_11120114.JPG

traffic police station demolished 27 feb 17 20170227_160158~01.jpg

traffic police station demolished 27 feb 17 20170227_160201~01.jpg

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

eerr ummm errr 

the old traffic police station by the river has been demolished :)

the same as all of the old immigration offices by the airport .. gone !

dave2

traffic police station mea ping 9 nov 11 2011_11120114.JPG

traffic police station demolished 27 feb 17 20170227_160158~01.jpg

traffic police station demolished 27 feb 17 20170227_160201~01.jpg

Nobody told me!

Where do people pay fines now?

On 3/1/2017 at 4:16 PM, FolkGuitar said:

I've never seen him doing the actual stopping of vehicles. He's always been on the sidewalk, checking documents, when I've seen him. 

Today I noticed something new... There are now two extra cops, one about 100m before the check-point, and a second one about 100m past the check-point. I have a feeling that anyone attempting to run the blockade is going to go down hard...

They added new guards for people making u-turns when they see the stop. The night crew has them now too. 

I also noticed the night ones hitting certain bikes/cars with their light to alert the stopping officers to stop that one. In addition to snagging u-turning bikes, they are also spotters. No idea their logic, it seems pretty random. They still don't stop cars that u-turn and drive the wrong way down a one way road. Too much effort I guess.

On 2/26/2017 at 6:06 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Being an American, and not being a lawyer, I'd hesitate to try to understand American law, to say nothing of Thai law. But... if you believe something illegal has been done to you, some criminal injustice has been served on you, you have the right to take it to court. Let those who study the law work out its intricacies. That will certainly have more effect than crying about it here.

Unless, of course,  you feel that the courts are in collusion with all this alleged illegal behavior... and perhaps the entire country is out to get you.

I'm legit now, but everyone getting a ticket while having a proper license from their home country (if they are part of the agreement) is getting scammed.

It would be like getting stopped and given a ticket even though you have a Thai license. It's basically the same thing, they are just bullying the tourists into paying up because 99.999% of those stopped don't know.

Laws and treaties were created for a reason. The police need to follow them. 

I've considered preparing all of the paperwork and documents and giving it to the local media. Maybe the BKK Post or Nation would look into it and shame them.

That said, when this dries up, they will just resort to something worse. In Pattaya they have the bogus modified bike charge, when all else fails and they have to hit their quota. It's a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation.

Archived