CM traffic blitz around moat

wadsy

For me it’s about giving something back to the local community. Yes it can be risky, and not everyone can do it.

Yes, dangerous endeavor that -- giving out tickets to tourists regardless of whether they have a valid-in-Thailand license or not. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, idman said:

So let me see now. In all of the replys to the original post no one but myself qustions who the <deleted> is this Australian Police Liason person is? What right does he have to pull over any driver and tell him he has to pay a fine. When did these types of earslings show up and think they are the traffic police? I am looking forward to the day when one of these w%#£×&s tries to extort a single satang from me.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Same here Buddy.

Yesterday I was stopped 3 times on the way to immigration at 3 points on the moat. I have Thai drivers license so I was waved on. Later in the day I had to return to immigration so I decided to take  different route. I was stopped at yet another checkpoint. 4 in one day.

For a few hundred baht and a couple of hours getting a Thai license is well worth it. Get both if you can.

the point is the fine for not showing a driver license is only 200 baht and a foreign Tourist police officer who lives in CM as retired person and then help to scam off other tourist to pay the twice times more fine as Thai´s is nothing more than a big crook. Once he tried this with me and I took my phone out and ask him to repeat the amount of the penalty again for the camera and I told him that this will be published and also I will do a police report to file a claim against him.

I did my homework on this forum before coming over.  Ten or twenty bucks for an IDP which I knew from research would let me avoid the DLT test.  Got my res. cert. and requisite ducks in a row and was in and out with two shiny new Thai licenses, one for the car, the other for motorbikes in now time at all.

I've been pulled now a half dozen times and its just a treat to show them the license, get a nod and a smile and be on my way.  Met the Aussie at one of my stops and he was very polite.

Getting my Thai DL licenses made me feel like a 16 year old and like I am finally home.

A UK friens of mine was stopped at a road block and they checked his licenses with motocycle stamp and the officer flagged him on. Around the moat and another stop and no cannot have need international but but the other guy says ok but not here he paid the fine

25 minutes ago, just bob said:

I did my homework on this forum before coming over.  Ten or twenty bucks for an IDP which I knew from research would let me avoid the DLT test.  Got my res. cert. and requisite ducks in a row and was in and out with two shiny new Thai licenses, one for the car, the other for motorbikes in now time at all.

I've been pulled now a half dozen times and its just a treat to show them the license, get a nod and a smile and be on my way.  Met the Aussie at one of my stops and he was very polite.

Getting my Thai DL licenses made me feel like a 16 year old and like I am finally home.

The OP made no mention of residency, he talks about driving as a tourist. Once you cease to be a tourist you are a resident and then MUST get a Thai licence. Still beats me why an IDP has any relevance though. Maybe if it had a Thai translation.......

I live near CM and often in the city on Mondays...I see numerous police checkpoints on certain days and they seem to be targetting mostly farangs on motorcycles...often at a temple near Chang Pruak gate as well as other places...

I am quite sure the Farang Do-Gooder told u wrong...they are not picked from the highest gene pool!...my advice is to fight it in court and teach these jerks a lesson!

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

r once again for doing over 140 kmph

Do you have a death wish ?  Why not just try to follow the legal speed limits in Thailand. And the roads are really not good for overspeeding . 

1 hour ago, balo said:

Do you have a death wish ?  Why not just try to follow the legal speed limits in Thailand. And the roads are really not good for overspeeding . 

No not at all...... Been driving here for many years and had only one single accident and that's where a scooter hit my car when I was stopped. Mind you, I drive fast to keep away from all the other vehicles. I know all the roads that allows me to drive at those speeds well enough so there's no issue with road conditions.

Follow the legal speed limits? LOL.....  yeah sure, just like many who always follow the traffic laws.... LOL

There are only three things that stops a person from driving as fast as they want to:

1) Traffic

2) Capability of their vehicle

3) Fear

.....and just to note, going 140 kmph was out on a very open 4 lane newly built highway. The camera got me as the officer with the camera was hiding on a path between two sugarcane fields..... much like the hidden cameraman on the super highway just across from the patrol office where he hides behind the overpass pillar.....

001_1.jpg

2 hours ago, DSJPC said:

I live near CM and often in the city on Mondays...I see numerous police checkpoints on certain days and they seem to be targetting mostly farangs on motorcycles...often at a temple near Chang Pruak gate as well as other places...

I am quite sure the Farang Do-Gooder told u wrong...they are not picked from the highest gene pool!...my advice is to fight it in court and teach these jerks a lesson!

They have new checkpoints now - as you said just after Tapea Gate INSIDE the moat and just after Loi Kroh OUTSIDE moat. Both relatively new vs the the blind corners north-west inside moat and south-west inside moat....also along ping river before Iron Bridge, Nawarat Bridge another one....

I love nothing better now than successfully passing through these checkpoints (helmet/license/tax disc/green book scans/no extreme upgrades)...they look so dejected that they cannot raid your wallet....after getting my wallet raked multiple times back in the day IT'S GREAT to give them zero Baht.

3 hours ago, Belzybob said:

The OP made no mention of residency, he talks about driving as a tourist. Once you cease to be a tourist you are a resident and then MUST get a Thai licence. Still beats me why an IDP has any relevance though. Maybe if it had a Thai translation.......

No residency (yet), I've been coming on and off to CM with my Thai wife for over 10 years on tourist visas and its never been a problem, until now. I've been checked before and my Australian drivers licence was accepted no questions asked  on a number of occassions. One time early in the piece the local BIB even took my licence and gave it back after I paid the no helmet (stupid I know but it was early days back then) fine at the police station. What shit me more than anything that this guy was targeting farang on motorbikes as they are obviously the cash cow of the moment. So much for tourist police liasons.

The checkpoints are nothing more than the moral equivalent of shakedowns. Shooting fish in a barrel. 

I think a retired person posing as a police officer, legal or otherwise, is shameful in the extreme. The corruption, incompetence and uneven application of the law here should make any conscientious foreigner blanche at the idea of "helping" the local cops collect their "tea money." 

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

The checkpoints are nothing more than the moral equivalent of shakedowns. Shooting fish in a barrel. 

I think a retired person posing as a police officer, legal or otherwise, is shameful in the extreme. The corruption, incompetence and uneven application of the law here should make any conscientious foreigner blanche at the idea of "helping" the local cops collect their "tea money." 

Thats the way I sort of see it too bud. 

Just a couple of quick points 1 The liasion guy was at one of my stops a week ago, he didnt stop me, A RTP did, but was going to approach but stopped when my passenger produced my Thai bike license and I was waved on(they never really check, I wear a full face helmet and sunglasses(during daylight hours) so dont know how they know its mine, so he was no bother only there to assist if there was a problem I guess.

2. As others have said its easy peasy to get a thai license if you have a license already(In my case a Queensland one), just rock up with the right paperwork and its done, the first one is for 2 years now, but you can change it to a 5 year after 1 year if you wish.

3. Yeah I get a bit pissed being pulled over when Thais riding 3 up without helmets sail on by but hey thats Thailand, however I have seen at a few roadblocks thais getting caught as well, but as someone else said it is satisfying to just show that license and see their little faces crumple.

4. I only got my license after being pulled up and fined 200baht so I was either lucky or 400baht is now the go.

5. by the way this is not any tea money it is an official receipt he would have received. So it maybe government tea money but thats another kettle of fish entirely.

To be fair, as often as I get stopped (and it's fairly often as I ride around the Old City every day) I've never had a cop be disrespectful to me. Or show ANY emotion when they wave me on. I carry all the required documents, but have only been asked to show my license, then waved through. I highly doubt the cop on the street gives a damn one way or the other. He's just doing his job. And his job here is to look for violations of the traffic code.

As to the thought that the police are targeting foreigners, it's an easy conclusion to jump to. After all, they are the ones riding without a shirt, without a helmet, and without any sense, and being so pasty white, stick out like a sore thumb in the group on the sidewalk. And certainly they will be the majority in the line to pay fines. They come without an IDP, (that's the 'without any sense' part,) so what would you expect. But the police stop just as many local Thais, perhaps even more of them. But when you are standing on the side of the road, knowing you are going to have to pay a fine, it's easy to notice that the police don't catch everyone. I ride though even more often than I am stopped. Definite white face, white arms. No doubt a foreigner, yet I often pass though if there doesn't happen to be a free cop to signal me over.

The police are playing the numbers game. Stop enough people, catch enough violators. There is a Georgia Highway Patrol officer in the US who holds a record for catching drug mules on R I-95. the north-south interstate. He says his method is, when he finishes stopping one car, he just stops the next one that comes along. He doesn't care if it's a little old lady driving or a Biker dude on a Trike. He just stops them all... While he's looking at one car, who know how many pass behind him? Just like the Thai family of 4 on a scooter who pass behind the cop looking at your license.

On 2017-02-23 at 8:55 AM, FolkGuitar said:

There is a major crackdown on traffic violations these days, currently dealing with helmets and paperwork. And it's having a positive effect. I see more and more people riding with helmets these days. Perhaps one day they will begin to tag the red-light runners, illegal turn makers, and speeders.

Im surprised the local BIB have yet to catch-on to the joys of employing a cash-cow traffic light cam. The cost of technology would prove to be nominal with support from the potential endless flow of vehicular violation.

When the only ingrained rule of the road is "Me First"..... its a bonanza for the BIB!

they had another check point outside wat chai sri poom this morning

they were stopping ferang chinese and thais with or without helmets

i watched the fun for ten minits 

but they didnt set up their little fine payment table today !

dave2

police check point 25 feb 17 20170225_114812~01.jpg

2 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

Im surprised the local BIB have yet to catch-on to the joys of employing a cash-cow traffic light cam. The cost of technology would prove to be nominal with support from the potential endless flow of vehicular violation.

When the only ingrained rule of the road is "Me First"..... its a bonanza for the BIB!

They are already doing that, lots of cameras around.

The traffic police are scamming everyone, the list is old but includes most countries, and as far as I could find it has not been updated. It's available online. The foreigner working for them is helping them scam everyone and is probably getting a piece of the pie for his illegal participation. If he's reading this, shame on you, scumbag. 

You have three options:

1. Pay up

2. Get a Thai license or IDP

3. Don't stop

After endless hassles, I finally got my Thai license and I have a IDP.  I was still getting stopped 2 - 5 times per day by the same <deleted> idiots. I try to run through their stops when I can, as I have more important things to do with my time than waste it with those clowns, especially the foreign one. 

I used a copy of my IDP for a while until they would no longer accept it because one of them dropped the original into a puddle of water and messed it all up. Didn't even say he was sorry, just handed it back wet and partially ruined. 

Oh, and if you do get stopped take your own keys out. I had one of those douchbags take my keys once. I've considered epoxy gluing broken glass around the keys and allowing them to reach for them again.  

I seriously hate those guys.

11 hours ago, dave2 said:

they had another check point outside wat chai sri poom this morning

they were stopping ferang chinese and thais with or without helmets

i watched the fun for ten minits 

but they didnt set up their little fine payment table today !

dave2

police check point 25 feb 17 20170225_114812~01.jpg

And the local car drivers with a phone clamped to their ear driving with one hand not wearing a seatbelt with a kid sitting on their lap after drinking a few leos and half a bottle of Hong Tong no insurance or licence get a free pass possibly...

8 hours ago, dcnx said:

The traffic police are scamming everyone,

It's quite a 'scam,' isn't it, requiring everyone who drives in their country to follow their laws...

If you follow their laws, you avoid all these hassles.

Let's hope that you don't become one of those riders who get dragged off their bike for not stopping.  Or worse yet, let's hope you don't become one of those riders who cause serious accidents by trying to avoid the cop trying to stop you, and you injure others.

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

It's quite a 'scam,' isn't it, requiring everyone who drives in their country to follow their laws...

Let's hope that you don't become one of those riders who get dragged off their bike for not stopping.  Or worse yet, let's hope you don't become one of those riders who cause serious accidents by trying to avoid the cop trying to stop you, and you injure others.

I could understand the need for an IDP IF there was Thai translation on it but there is not. Plus the fact that the Thai Motor Vehicle Act  does say 'either a reciprical countries drivers licence OR an IDP, not both. The requirement for both is either this farang's interpretation or the Royal Thai Police's interpretation with the help of him. Pretty dodgy either way. Anyway, I'll play their silly little game until the need to get a Thai drivers licence. I just think they have identified a money extraction process and have exploited it. I'm just disappointed that a foreign 'liason officer' has elected to help in the extraction process instead of doing what he should be doing - assist foreigners in need of assistance. 

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

When the police are giving people tickets in direct violation of their own traffic laws and Geneva convention agreement, it's a scam and illegal.

If you don't wear a helmet that is illegal, and you should be stopped. But if you have a valid license from your home country and your country has an agreement with Thailand, they are illegally issuing you a ticket.

Archived