UBER is now in.... WHAT ??? Pattaya - Bangsaen - Chonburi ???

siam2007

I just read a report on the homepage of a newspaper that cannot be mentioned here, that UBER has announced on their FB page that they since Thursday are now operating in Bangsaen and Chonburi, after they have already started to serve Pattaya in February. IS THIS TRUE ? Does anyone in one of those areas have the app on his device and found any available cars ? That would be a major revolution, me thinks, particularly as a Crackdown is in place in both BKK as well as CM at the moment

Edited by siam2007

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

I'm still trying to work out what OP is saying as regards a newspaper ??  What cant be mentioned here ??

If it can' t be mentioned it's going to be difficult to answer that one.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

If it can' t be mentioned it's going to be difficult to answer that one.

I thought articles from the newspaper couldn't be quoted, but there's no reason you can't say the name ...  Bangkok Post.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Grab seems to be allowed since it's using the regular and existing taxi-services. 

Uber isn't allowed since it's aimed for private taxi-rides. 

AFAIK, the government is cracking down the Uber service-providers.

This may be a one-off anecdote, but yesterday my Grab ride (previously GrabTaxi) in Pattaya was an unmarked, un-metered, white sedan.  Seems like they could be transitioning to the Uber model?

• Like 1

On 08/03/2017 at 2:02 PM, RustyShackleford said:

I've been using GrabTaxi for months without a problem. About the same price you'd pay if you asked them on the street but no haggling and they come to your door.

the same price because it is operated by the same Mafia as the yellow-blue cabs. Entirely useless

• Like 1

On 08/03/2017 at 9:30 AM, Lumbini said:

Used the service yesterday and it's great to have this service here emoji294.pngemoji294.pngemoji294.pngemoji294.pngemoji294.png what a complete game changer emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

can you elaborate further please ? Uber ? from where to where ? how much was the fare ? how many cars popped up on the screen of the app ?

Hope all are aware of the uber app its invasive reach. THe app serious seizes all your personal information from where a photo was taken and who your friends are in you contact list. Well beyond facebook. Uber is not just about a commute. It is building a data company and market info for future enterprises. 

I have lost the battle and just surrendered to what they want but i hate how they take the stuff they want. Naught you can really do if you want these conveniences.

On 08/03/2017 at 0:41 AM, taichiplanet said:

Once upon a time there was a website, an expat forum that spread wonderous news from all over the fair land that the lucky expats lived in. But the step-sister of the website, a well known newspaper, did not want the poor website to use any of it's news feeds, and was banned from doing so. But despite this the website lived happily everafter.

Now lets play guess what this is!!!

2 words. The first word is the capital of Thailand! Not the Thai name but the western name. The second word is something that is made of wood, concrete or steel which is placed vertically and partially in the ground to support the wire parts of a fence.

Seriously I have absolutely no idea what you are burbling about

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Seriously I have absolutely no idea what you are burbling about

I thought it was quite good. 

In fact, the second paragraph was undermining the enterprise if anything. Too obvious. The truth of the post was in his allusions but he is posting from bangkok most likely. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, optad said:

I thought it was quite good. 

In fact, the second paragraph was undermining the enterprise if anything. Too obvious. The truth of the post was in his allusions but he is posting from bangkok most likely. 

normally i would've left it at the first paragraph but over the years i've learnt that on TV, for some readers, either because English is not their first language or (what's a nice way of putting this) it can go over their heads. Obviously even the 2nd paragraph was beyond some. Thanks for the compliment.

Edited by taichiplanet

Here's my hope for the future of ride sharing:  Non-profits in the public domain, for the benefit of the drivers and the customers:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/08/technology/austin-uber-lyft-sxsw/index.html

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/08/technology/houston-austin-uber-drivers/index.html

Seems like a few hundred would-be taxi drivers could take on the taxi mafia's with their own version.

Ridesharing is the future, I just signed a petition and a lot of Thais want this to happen . 

Uber in CM and Bangkok is 50 to 100 baht for short rides . In Pattaya that would mean maximum 100 baht for a trip from central Jomtien to S-Pattaya.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

I took an UBER ride from the bus station N-Pattaya to Naklua . 75 baht and the driver arrived after 4 minutes. I made sure to wait in the sidesoi to avoid the taxi mafia. The driver was very happy with his new job and told me he pick up 10 passengers on average daily, but he hope more people will start using UBER. I talked to Bangkok drivers and they need 20 passengers daily to make a living.

you did it the smart way and I hope all other folks who will use UBER or GRAB CAR (not GRAB TAXI) in the future will follow suit, to protect the physical safety of those drivers.

• Like 2