Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, tropo said:

What do you think? Will this:

... help us in Pattaya?

Wishful thinking?

the public should be mindful of politeness and appropriateness

A Pattaya water hooligan? You kidding?

Normally the idea of Pattaya is to escape from such superfluous constraints.

The supposed crackdown on the Taliban trucks may hold more promise, being less nebulous. The

seems too good to be true and seems confined to Walking St., inconsequential for us residents. Better to confine hooligan Songkran to Walking St. and sanitize everywhere else but that will never happen.

Seems there was talk of sanitizing Soi 6. too. Hard to believe; we'll see what all really happens.

All this talk is at least positive. Could be that The Authorities are at last hearing some of the complaints. They should be required to read the FAQ, long version.

Edited by JSixpack

Quick question about this:

10 Apr - Survival Preparation

The last day either to leave or stock up comfortably without having to avoid the bar areas, though in the neighborhoods you may encounter kids with squirt guns (school's out). By now stockpiling and hording may already have led to shortages.

Apologies if this has been covered: how safe is the 10th from the day into the night in the central pattaya area?

If you can't go abroad or to a remote village with the in laws then just stay in every day until after 6pm...it's really not too difficult and an excellent excuse to the wife or gf to do nothing and save money!

My first Songkran was last year... Yeah it got boring on day 2. There's water shortages and yet they are wasting all this water, it's stupid.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Quick question about this:

10 Apr - Survival Preparation

The last day either to leave or stock up comfortably without having to avoid the bar areas, though in the neighborhoods you may encounter kids with squirt guns (school's out). By now stockpiling and hording may already have led to shortages.

Apologies if this has been covered: how safe is the 10th from the day into the night in the central pattaya area?

Usually the 'plonkers' kick things off by the 11th/12th in the bar areas. Stay away from bar areas from 11th onwards if you aren't interested, and you should be ok. More recent years it doesn't seem as bad as say, 15-25 years ago. I have seen very few instances in recent years where people have been randomly throwing water around in non bar areas, apart from the main day.

As a quick example when popping into Central Pattaya Beach for some shopping I park my bike near Pattaya memorial hospital and walked down 2nd road into the rear entrance many times during Songkran in recent years with no problems during the day time. You might see people chucking water down soi 7/8 but very unlikely to get people doing it right on 2nd road unless it's the main day. The police have cracked down on this kind of activity in recent years and quite honestly if you throw water on a fast moving bike then you deserve everything you get.

No stats on injuries specifically owing to the water/ice/powder throwing that I've seen. That may be partly because such injuries aren't taken seriously by "the authorities" and spoil the myth that everyone's having fun. The injured take them seriously, however, and the web version of the FAQ has countless stories that probably only represent the tip of the iceberg. For a motorcyclist, even trying to avoid the water/ice/powder is dangerous, speeding up and swerving out the way into . . . what?

post-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg.19ce3a08cc4ce0ce44f4a0d46614bdf3.jpg
Watch me make her crash her motorbike! Hee hee!
Surfrider

Is that Gary Glitter on the right?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have fun but PLEASE don't throw water at me when I'm riding my scooter. I've had many a near miss over the years. And I'm not talking the main days (13-15 & 19) but all the spill over unofficial days. Main days I know better than to venture out.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:53 AM, DMC1 said:

Usually the 'plonkers' kick things off by the 11th/12th in the bar areas. Stay away from bar areas from 11th onwards if you aren't interested, and you should be ok. More recent years it doesn't seem as bad as say, 15-25 years ago. I have seen very few instances in recent years where people have been randomly throwing water around in non bar areas, apart from the main day.

As a quick example when popping into Central Pattaya Beach for some shopping I park my bike near Pattaya memorial hospital and walked down 2nd road into the rear entrance many times during Songkran in recent years with no problems during the day time. You might see people chucking water down soi 7/8 but very unlikely to get people doing it right on 2nd road unless it's the main day. The police have cracked down on this kind of activity in recent years and quite honestly if you throw water on a fast moving bike then you deserve everything you get.

Soi Buakhao could be tricky though. That kicks off really early - i.e. lot of plonkers to go around there. I shop late at night during Songkran - Friendship, Foodland, Foodmart and 7Elevens. I can handle a week's vacation away from Central.:smile:

Soi Buakhao could be tricky though. That kicks off really early - i.e. lot of plonkers to go around there. I shop late at night during Songkran - Friendship, Foodland, Foodmart and 7Elevens. I can handle a week's vacation away from Central.:smile:

Good point about Buakhao, however, that place is full off plonkers all year round anyway! Only joking! Defo a good place to avoid during Songkran tho...

On 3/17/2017 at 1:01 PM, JayBird said:

My same issue.. .I don't 'perceive it as a 'fun harmless game' but rather a 'license to do as much damage as possible with ice and water'.  I thought of walking around with two giant machetes in my hands and glare at people like a wild man.  But that might get me in trouble... 

Yes machetes may be a bit over the top, a good solid walking stick on the other hand looks innocuous but can be very effective. A sharp rap or two across the shins would bring one of these types to his knees giving time for one to the mouth and also possibly the nose.

We could form a commando unit and travel around in a baht bus alighting in force whenever we were targeted by these hooligans. Justice could be swiftly meted out, then back on the bus and away before anyone realises what has happened.

Yes, I think that

Ah the nice doctor will see me now........................................

Edit: I don't care what he says i still think it's a good idea.

Edited by rott

So we all know Pattaya Songkran is a painfully EXTENDED affair, but I'm a but confused about the dates this year.

I expect Thailand official Songkran to be the 12th but I saw a local government announcement saying the dates are the 13th through the 20th.

Will that encourage peoplehere to not get started until the 13th or do you think the 12th as usual?

Assuming the 19th will still be peak Pattaya day with it totally finished in Pattaya on the 20th. Now not as sure.

As expected, quiet tonight. Went out around sundown and all I saw were two little girls playing with a small water gun with each other. 

Edited by Jingthing

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So we all know Pattaya Songkran is a painfully EXTENDED affair, but I'm a but confused about the dates this year.

I expect Thailand official Songkran to be the 12th but I saw a local government announcement saying the dates are the 13th through the 20th.

Will that encourage peoplehere to not get started until the 13th or do you think the 12th as usual?

Assuming the 19th will still be peak Pattaya day with it totally finished in Pattaya on the 20th. Now not as sure.

As expected, quiet tonight. Went out around sundown and all I saw were two little girls playing with a small water gun with each other. 

Nothing more consistent than inconsistency, eh? Coming into town the other day I saw a big sign saying it starts on the 12th. In Pattaya leaders want to turn back clock on Songkran, the dates are 12-20. Traditional activities are supposed to be held throughout the period.

As part of their vileness, water hooligans don't care about any official dates. For practical purposes, it all depends on when they're ready to start their "fun." No reports about their starting today over at Sois 6, 7, 8 or Soi Buakhao; if not, then that's a first, and more indication of the trend towards milder Songkrans. Personally if I were riding a baht bus through those and other known high crime areas I'd be prepared from now on, just in case. I'm not riding the bike around there during peak hours. Good luck.

Edited by JSixpack

On 3/9/2017 at 8:48 AM, KittenKong said:

I'm leaving the country for the entire month of April. I intend to have a totally blissful Songkran and good luck to those who are staying here.

Signed: Grumpy old git.

Thanks for thinking of us. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

After reading all the battle plans for Pattaya I thank God I do not live there. 

I thank god I do. Whenever I leave, I'm happy to return. Despite all the whingers, bashers, and haters who dominate this forum, despite the nitpicks, most of us residents (yeah, we can always find somebody who's leaving while we ignore those moving in), enjoy living here in our cesspool except for the traffic, parking, and--SONGKRAN.

Edited by JSixpack

1 minute ago, JSixpack said:

I thank god I do. Whenever I leave, I'm happy to return. Despite all the whingers, bashers, and haters that dominate this forum, despite the nitpicks, most of us residents (yeah, we can always find somebody who's leaving while we ignore those moving in), enjoy living here in our cesspool except for the traffic, parking, and--SONGKRAN.

Thanks for adding two more traffic and parking to my statement young fellow and I presume you are young. Your a bit cruel on the dominate this forum part but your obviously young and full of spunk like I used to be. Enjoy your 10 days of mayhem. I nominate you for the official welcoming ambassador to Pattaya. For the sake of disclosure I did not in any way knock Pattaya. After reading the plan for navigating Songkran I just came to a logical conclusion to suit my needs and age of course. 

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Thanks for adding two more traffic and parking to my statement young fellow and I presume you are young. Your a bit cruel on the dominate this forum part but your obviously young and full of spunk like I used to be. Enjoy your 10 days of mayhem. I nominate you for the official welcoming ambassador to Pattaya. For the sake of disclosure I did not in any way knock Pattaya. After reading the plan for navigating Songkran I just came to a logical conclusion to suit my needs and age of course. 

Well, I'm hardly young but I do believe in taking care o' myself and I encourage others to do so as well. (I sometimes offer advice in the I'm Too Fat forum.) Part of the taking care of yourself is avoiding Songkran. I don't need any accidents or infections. So me, I always either leave or lie low during Pattaya Songkran. And obviously I vent extensively. :) Fortunately with the milder Songkrans nowadays, it's safer to shop in the early mornings (and as always very late at night), so no need to stock up for the duration. There's an extensive section on the Lie Low survival method in the extended FAQ here. Long amusing (well, I think so anyway) digression here on the silly assertion that "Songkran keeps you young," with the two most common death scenarios in Pattaya compared to death by songkraned.

Here's a new twist on the Songkran Mayhem!

Motorists Pelted With Urine, Fish, Motor Oil

CHONBURI — Local police said Thursday they were searching for a group of youths who were seen tossing bags filled with urine and other foul fluids at passing motorcycles and cars.

58ef451741993_Songkran201701.jpg.d9c8995ec7fea0d7676d616af4a7f796.jpg

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/04/13/happy-songkran-motorists-pelted-urine-raw-fish-motor-oil/

Edited by SurfRider

28 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Well, I'm hardly young but I do believe in taking care o' myself and I encourage others to do so as well. (I sometimes offer advice in the I'm Too Fat forum.) Part of the taking care of yourself is avoiding Songkran. I don't need any accidents or infections. So me, I always either leave or lie low during Pattaya Songkran. And obviously I vent extensively. :) Fortunately with the milder Songkrans nowadays, it's safer to shop in the early mornings (and as always very late at night), so no need to stock up for the duration. There's an extensive section on the Lie Low survival method in the extended FAQ here. Long amusing (well, I think so anyway) digression here on the silly assertion that "Songkran keeps you young," with the two most common death scenarios in Pattaya compared to death by songkraned.

10/10.30 this morning no problem down Soi Xcite and Soi Chaiyapoom but come 1pm it was an absolute nightmare traffic wise and water was being thrown all along Soi Buakhow. Unfortunately I had to come back in at 2.30pm from Central/North Pattaya and took me 45 minutes in the car. Third road was almost gridlocked at times and with the police controlling the lights at 3rd and Klang it seemed to make it even worse.

I guess it can only get worse :saai:

50 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Ah young fellow I think we are really starting to mellow you a bit. Your definition of a six pack and mine are different and that is OK to. I used to be where you are its a good place to be. Well its getting hot now I better go out and buy a six pack of Chang. Take care of yourself young fellow its a long road but you seem to be walking in the middle. 

4 hours ago, SurfRider said:

Here's a new twist on the Songkran Mayhem!

Motorists Pelted With Urine, Fish, Motor Oil

CHONBURI — Local police said Thursday they were searching for a group of youths who were seen tossing bags filled with urine and other foul fluids at passing motorcycles and cars.

58ef451741993_Songkran201701.jpg.d9c8995ec7fea0d7676d616af4a7f796.jpg

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/04/13/happy-songkran-motorists-pelted-urine-raw-fish-motor-oil/

I think my g/f said they caught the little buggers