why so loud and why so nationalistic

3 hours ago, lavender19 said:

We have problems with inconsiderate ####s blasting music out of there gay pimped up trucks. We live on a quiet beach that is frequented by mostly Thai families eating on the beach. Even they pack up and go home when these knobs turn up.

come to where we live during Songkran  or the new year and have them lined up side by side playing different music. I have no problem with people enjoying themselves, we live near a Thai resort beach and boy do they know how to party but the lower educated and poorer seem to make the most noise as if shouting here I am!. what I like seeing is when people get off the overnight bus from the north and see older peoples reaction when they see the sea for the first time, makes me almost jealous to have  a reaction like that. I will say that I meet way more nice Thai people on the beach than bad with families from Isaan inviting me to eat with them and making a big fuss of our golden retrievers. It's a strange thing in our village where the Thai's love our dogs but don't give a siht about theirs ......

17 hours ago, johng said:

I get  a similar treat every year on "teachers day"       one time I went and asked them why its so loud, they turned it down a tiny amount and then  came on the mike with the "farang bashing"  I went and sat on the beach until early evening and thanked my blessings that they had stoped with the awful racket by the time I got home    :annoyed:

We even had a respected member of the Buddhist community treat us to some racism over the village loudspeaker system after a 'foreigner' complained of the early morning noise. Are people under some misconception that the locals actually like us and welcome us to their country?

Mind your own business and keep paying for things and they like you well enough, to your face and when sober.

Edited by jacko45k

18 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Impressed that the OP, fresh off the boat from the Phillippines, can decipher Thai song lyrics and the MC's comments delivered over an earsplitting sound system from three doors down. I sure as heck couldn't do that, and that's after a couple of decades of study. :whistling:

It's the harvest season, the only time of the year many people have any spending money at all. A son's ordination into the monkhood is one of the most important events in both the young man's and his family's life. The loud music is not just strictly for entertainment, but serves to announce and broadcast the event to the entire community as well. Trying to get your neighbors hosting one of these events to turn down the music is incredibly gauche, culturally insensitive, not to mention downright stupid in terms of personal safety.

The only knuckleheads in this story are the foreigners who refuse to try and understand cultural differences and try to demand the locals conform to their expectations and standards.

Marko, I remember your 'So long, suckers' farewell post when you left for the Phillippines. You come back to Thailand and a timeworn rant about loud music at a ngan buat is all you got? No new-found appreciation for anything about Thailand after your sojourn away?  No cross-cultural insights you can share? Mark me down in the 'disappointed' column.

Every time Marko starts a thread, that idiom comes to mind:  Bark at the Moon.  Because that's all it seems he ever does. 

There are a self centered element in every country and Thailand has it's fair share but people mustn't confuse criticism as racist or anti Thai as there are clearly lots of Thais who don't adopt this behaviour and are just as offended as quiet farang..

It is the responsibility of the local government and the police to maintain law and order - order means noise levels at a level suitable for the time of day. The problem is enforcement and here as you know enforcement is largely dependant on what financial reward will they get for doing the work.

Racism exists here just like in the west - again the law must be strengthened but don't expect any change soon as again this requires work - here lies the problem and of course the excuse used for not doing any - it is hot

why so loud and why so nationalistic

a question more relevant to the USA than thailand. at least it's only some loud music and ignorant comments here.

my thai friends are middle class professionals, educated, well travelled and worldy wise, certainly not loud or nationalistic.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, Gecko123 said:

Impressed that the OP, fresh off the boat from the Phillippines, can decipher Thai song lyrics and the MC's comments delivered over an earsplitting sound system from three doors down. I sure as heck couldn't do that, and that's after a couple of decades of study. :whistling:

It's the harvest season, the only time of the year many people have any spending money at all. A son's ordination into the monkhood is one of the most important events in both the young man's and his family's life. The loud music is not just strictly for entertainment, but serves to announce and broadcast the event to the entire community as well. Trying to get your neighbors hosting one of these events to turn down the music is incredibly gauche, culturally insensitive, not to mention downright stupid in terms of personal safety.

The only knuckleheads in this story are the foreigners who refuse to try and understand cultural differences and try to demand the locals conform to their expectations and standards.

Marko, I remember your 'So long, suckers' farewell post when you left for the Phillippines. You come back to Thailand and a timeworn rant about loud music at a ngan buat is all you got? No new-found appreciation for anything about Thailand after your sojourn away?  No cross-cultural insights you can share? Mark me down in the 'disappointed' column.

Maybe you should read a bit better, he has been in Thailand a long time and though about moving to the Philippines.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:53 PM, Gecko123 said:

Glad your dissapointed,but next time try actually reading the post,it was not i who complained,and i am not fresh off the boat,i have lived here over 5 years,and went to check out the Philis,it was okay,but when i came back i met a really nice non bar girl where i live so i decided to stay,i have no problem with them having a party,but why it has to go on at ear splitting volume until 2.30am,is a bit much, i have been and lived in many countries but never have i had to deal with noise pollution on the scale it occurs here,thanks for your input .

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Glad your dissapointed,but next time try actually reading the post,it was not i who complained,and i am not fresh off the boat,i have lived here over 5 years,and went to check out the Philis,it was okay,but when i came back i met a really nice non bar girl where i live so i decided to stay,i have no problem with them having a party,but why it has to go on at ear splitting volume until 2.30am,is a bit much, i have been and lived in many countries but never have i had to deal with noise pollution on the scale it occurs here,thanks for your input .

I rest my case: 

The above post left the impression that you were leaving Thailand for good. Sorry for any misunderstanding, but I'm not your biographer, and can't be expected to meticulously research all of your posts before posting a comment.

As to whether the root of our communication problem is my reading skills or your writing (specifically proofreading) skills,  I'll leave that in the capable hands of the TVF jury. :smile: