Pheu Thai politico wanted for tweets insulting Prayut

webfact

Pheu Thai politico wanted for tweets insulting Prayut

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

20170308114441-696x462.jpg  

Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha poses for a photo with officials Wednesday at a seminar on 'digital governance'

BANGKOK — A former politician is wanted by police for allegedly defaming junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha on Twitter.

For a series of tweets bashing the general, That Wanparuehat is charged with violating the Computer Crime Act, a draconian law that bans any “false information” or defamatory remarks from the internet – or any computer. The officer in charge of the case said the public should take note and exercise caution on social media.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/03/08/pheu-thai-politico-wanted-tweets-insulting-prayuth/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-09

9 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If there is a rule, there is. It´s just to accept.

Absolutely!  Who cares if the rules are fair and just? They must be abode by. I hope one day I can be the leader of a country and make the rules up. The first one will be no mean tweets about me or you go to prison. You can write mean tweets about each other and these will be selectively persued based on how much money you have. But with me - no way! Never! I'll be too important. 

Now where's that coolaid? 

The two remarks were pretty bad, and the second one could be considered false information. So i can understand that some action is undertaken. 

Freedom of speech is one thing.. wishing someone dead and blaming him for deaths is an other. 

58 minutes ago, robblok said:

The two remarks were pretty bad, and the second one could be considered false information. So i can understand that some action is undertaken. 

Freedom of speech is one thing.. wishing someone dead and blaming him for deaths is an other. 

The quote: “Prayuth, you have trampled over the hearts of Thai people. One day you will die like a street dog. I’m waiting to see that day. You bastard. #Article44”

Forecasting someone's death is not wishing someone dead one day - but do we not all die some day? In fact he is not calling for Prayut's death that would be to incite violence. As to dying like a street dog, very vague meaning - Prayut dying may not be a joyous occasion except to some still living like Wanparuehat ?  Wanparuehat is expressing his anguish over Prayut's absolute rule over the Thai people, albeit in a less than eloquent manner. But still free speech.

It’s not the first time That has a run-in with law enforcement. He was fined 500 baht in January for giving what the court described as a “hostile glare” at prosecutors who are pursuing charges of negligence against former PM Yingluck Shinawatra.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice, it tastes a funny colour :smile:

I remember back in Thaksin day, he used the law in the constituion where the government has powers to revoke media licenses in order to silence critics. Since that has been removed under the DEM, the current government has turn to the computer crime act to do the same. These politicians all have very thin skin.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Defamation laws exist in many countries; as do laws to control hate speech which is a relatively new phenomenon proliferated by the advances in social media and ability to mass communicate easily.

They exist for the very reasons you say.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Defamation laws exist in many countries; as do laws to control hate speech which is a relatively new phenomenon proliferated by the advances in social media and ability to mass communicate easily.

I understand the laws, though I wish in Thailand that defamation was a public court case not a criminal one. 

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes but in most other countries there is due, fair process that is gone through to determine the veracity of the claims. Rather than purposely opinionated as here .

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Absolutely!  Who cares if the rules are fair and just? They must be abode by. I hope one day I can be the leader of a country and make the rules up. The first one will be no mean tweets about me or you go to prison. You can write mean tweets about each other and these will be selectively persued based on how much money you have. But with me - no way! Never! I'll be too important. 

Now where's that coolaid? 

Clear and fully controlled. Nobody wants you as a leader. Sorry just a big bad dream!

1 hour ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Yes but in most other countries there is due, fair process that is gone through to determine the veracity of the claims. Rather than purposely opinionated as here .

Thailand is probably the only one that makes it a criminal offense as well as civil 

Here, reputation, as part of "face" is considered very important. So if they plaintiff can show he has lost face or suffered hurt reputation you are in trouble unless you can show your comments are not only true but also were made for the public good.

Unfortunately the tiered process here isn't fair, or particularly just when applying any law.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, but in many other countries you are not found guilty of defamation if you can prove what you said was true.

Here, it doesn't matter. You can be 100% factual, but still found guilty of defamation, if the other party can show your comments caused them harm. Crazy but true.