When Snooker ruled the roost in Thailand

Inspire

When Snooker ruled the roost in Thailand

Gerry Carter

gerry-main2.jpg

Throughout the 1990s one of the most famous people in Thailand was Sa-teve. Tell any taxi driver you were from England and the conversation invariably turned to the latest exploits of Sa-teve.

Only towards the end of the decade did conversations about “phoo dee angrit” (English gentlemen) turn to Daewit Beckhaem and his latest hairstyle.

But everyone still knew Sa-teve and spoke of him with awe as the ambassador of snooker, a game invented by British military officers stationed in India in the 19th century. Sa-teve helped to promote the game and raise its popularity to new levels in Thailand winning many games in the kingdom and making many friends.

The man in question is of course Steve Davis the six time world snooker champion from Plumstead in London. The self-proclaimed “boring Steve” was anything but to the people of Thailand.

Steve made many visits to promote the game in Thailand during the eighties and nineties and inspired the rise to fame of James Wattana or Wattana Phu-Ob-orm, or just plain Tong (Sitchoi) who became a household name and perhaps the best Thai player of all time.

Tong quickly rose through the professional ranks and was cleverly managed by Englishman Tom Moran who knew from the early days that his charge was a potential world champion himself. Though Tong was never to achieve that accolade he did rise to number four in the world rankings and made the semi-finals at Sheffield’s famous Crucible theatre on one occasion.

In the early nineties snooker halls in Thailand were bursting at the seams as the exploits of Tong filled television screens late into the night. He was almost as famous as the country’s leading Olympic and Thai boxers at the time challenging legendary 16 time world champion Khaosai Galaxy for space on the Thai sports pages.

It was my pleasure to meet Tong and his manager at the Asian Open world ranking snooker event held in Thailand at the MCOT Channel 9 TV studios in 1989. Though not the first ranking event it was the biggest ever held in Bangkok attracting such luminaries as Jimmy White and of course, Steve Davis. Myself and friends – who were all avid players at the snooker hall on the top floor of Nana Plaza – had front row seats for the final between Tong and Stephen Hendry from Scotland, widely regarded as the greatest player of all time.

Though Hendry was never quite so popular as Steve Davis in Thailand he certainly impressed the crowd and TV viewers in that best of 17 final beating the Thai by 9-6. In the middle of the match he managed to produce two consecutive total clearances of the table scoring well over 130 each time. It was inspiring for us – all strictly amateur players – to see such brilliance at such close quarters. The rise of Tong and the prevalence of top class events inspired a new generation of players and a great new era for the sport in Thailand.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/snooker-ruled-roost-thailand/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-03-12

Please do not refer to snooker as a sport, it is a pub game, I emphasis, "game", the people who play it are mostly overweight, unfit, elbow benders who could not physically involve themselves in any method of keeping fit, a sport takes physical exercise to compete in, tennis, football, swimming etc.

Plenty of good young Thai players in the game. The World Championship is coming up in Sheffield, UK next month. I imagine half a dozen or so wil be at the qualifying event, also in Sheffield. I understand that James Wattana looks after Thai players throughout the year in Sheffield and China has a similar setup in the city.

Asian players have not quite got to grips with the longer version of the game (best of 19 frames in WC qualifying). They are great break builders but don't have the good defensive strategies of UK players. I am sure it will come for them in time.

TV coverge of snooker here in Thailand is top notch; all tournaments are broadcast now and I am really looking forward to the WC next month.

Good luck to all Thais taking part.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Please do not refer to snooker as a sport, it is a pub game, I emphasis, "game", the people who play it are mostly overweight, unfit, elbow benders who could not physically involve themselves in any method of keeping fit, a sport takes physical exercise to compete in, tennis, football, swimming etc.

Sorry to disagree Possum, but nearly all the top professionals are fit and train to stay that way. There is a very good living to be made at the top of the game and the overweight, heavy drinkers and smokers are mostly a thing of the past. 

That said, a sport played whilst wearing a suit doesn't really seem like a sport to some people. I would say it is more of a sport than darts, which may not be saying much.

I would put snooker and darts in the same category, yes they involve skill, but many who take part in them could not run up a small flight of stairs without getting out of breath, how fit do you think many of these top professional snooker players are? Yes some may be quite fit, but they do not need that fitness in any way whatsoever to play a "game" of snooker.

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What a load of rubbish Possum! I played this exquisite game/sport (call it what you will) a lot in my younger days and firstly, I never played it in a pub! I played in snooker halls or, more often facilities provided on military bases, where the snooker room was regarded as haloed ground. We had more respect for it than the parade ground!

It takes great skill, fitness and a massive amount of concentration, almost to the point of meditation to play well. And to reach the higher levels players must dedicate many hours improving their skill and that includes keeping very fit. An aspiring player would never attract the services of a manager unless he did so. And without a manager he/she would never progress as a pro.

Unfortunately, in the early days, the image of this sport was marred by the sponsorship provided by the tobacco giants, which may have created the image that you refer to, but that is all in the past now thank goodness.

I would put snooker and darts in the same category, yes they involve skill, but many who take part in them could not run up a small flight of stairs without getting out of breath, how fit do you think many of these top professional snooker players are? Yes some may be quite fit, but they do not need that fitness in any way whatsoever to play a "game" of snooker.

Snooker, darts, chess, Scrabble...all sports requiring dedication and huge amounts of practice to rise to the top. Physical endeavors are not the only thing that are sports. Mindsports are sports. Scrabble is considered a sport inThailand and has two world champions as well.

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What a load of rubbish Possum! I played this exquisite game/sport (call it what you will) a lot in my younger days and firstly, I never played it in a pub! I played in snooker halls or, more often facilities provided on military bases, where the snooker room was regarded as haloed ground. We had more respect for it than the parade ground!

It takes great skill, fitness and a massive amount of concentration, almost to the point of meditation to play well. And to reach the higher levels players must dedicate many hours improving their skill and that includes keeping very fit. An aspiring player would never attract the services of a manager unless he did so. And without a manager he/she would never progress as a pro.

Unfortunately, in the early days, the image of this sport was marred by the sponsorship provided by the tobacco giants, which may have created the image that you refer to, but that is all in the past now thank goodness.

Fitness? Keeping very fit? You are really associating that with snooker?:cheesy:. I don't think it is me who is talking rubbish, but we can agree to disagree.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Fitness? Keeping very fit? You are really associating that with snooker?:cheesy:. I don't think it is me who is talking rubbish, but we can agree to disagree.

If you take any interest in health and fitness Possum, you will do as I do. Not only do I routinally keep myself fit, I read on-line articles, books and (occasionally) watch TV programmes on the topic. In just about every article I encounter, one activity stands out as being of paramount importance to health and fitness. That activity is walking. Yes! Humble walking.

A professional snooker player will spend as much as 6 hours per day at the table practicing. I would hazard a guess that 4 to 5 hours of that time will be expended in walking. That alone will the player fit and healthy.

I don't 'agree to disagree'. I totally disagree.

Poss ol' buddy.....Archery, pistol/rifle shooting, angling etc are all sports where physical fitness doesn't really come into the equation...

I have played snooker for decades and am near useless at it but I love it...Professional players make it look easy but I can assure you it ain't...:stoner:

Having no interest in such a boring game, I will take your point about the fitness part you mention, so what you are saying is, of these professionals, none are overweight?

You will never see overweight professional football players, tennis players etc, Can the same be said about snooker players? I have watched amateur football players, in fact I played amateur football myself, and don't remember seeing any of them obviously overweight. I have seen amateur snooker players, many overweight and drinking pints while between taking shots or whatever you call them.

Poss, I think you are "looking" at folks stature and not their ability in a given sport...

What is your opinion on Sumo wrestling...?

What is the topic of conversation here? I believe we're discussing professional snooker.

I concede your point regarding the use of alcohol whilst playing. Alex Higgins was renowned for it. But that didn't stop him being one of the sports top player's whom even Steve Davis acknowledged as one of the greatest.

Edited by Rimmer

James Wattana was usually known as 'Tong' in Thailand, or his full Chinese name of Tong Sit Choi. The country would have gone absolutely mental if he'd won the World Championship.

Apart from Tong, I think Jimmy White was the most popular player back in the day. There was great respect for Steve Davis's achievements and ability but Thais loved Jimmy White's style and also you could see he really enjoyed coming over here  

Just now, Moonlover said:

What is the topic of conversation here? I believe we're discussing professional snooker.

I concede your point regarding the use of alcohol whilst playing. Alex Higgins was renowned for it. But that didn't stop him being one of the sports top players whom even Steve Davis acknowledged as one of the greatest.

Plus Bill Werbeniuk..

Steve Davis, Jimmy White, Dennis Taylor, Hurracane Higgins, Stephen Hendry, Cliff Thorburn, John Virgo, John Parrot.............

Many memorable names who played a big part in my childhood and youth, on TV of course.

Inspired many youngsters to take up the sport and like others I found it to be very difficult but very enjoyable .

Who was the guy who looked like a vampire....John Williams maybe ?

And Terry somebody ?, a Welshman , the worlds most boring player ?

30 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

James Wattana was usually known as 'Tong' in Thailand, or his full Chinese name of Tong Sit Choi. The country would have gone absolutely mental if he'd won the World Championship.

Apart from Tong, I think Jimmy White was the most popular player back in the day. There was great respect for Steve Davis's achievements and ability but Thais loved Jimmy White's style and also you could see he really enjoyed coming over here  

God, Steve Davis was boring. Jimmy White ,and Alex Higgins were heavy drinkers or more but they made you watch them, brilliance blended with near misses.As soon as Steve Davis came on I could hear my old man snoring in the armchair next to me, a perfect cure for insomnia.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

God, Steve Davis was boring. Jimmy White ,and Alex Higgins were heavy drinkers or more but they made you watch them, brilliance blended with near misses.As soon as Steve Davis came on I could hear my old man snoring in the armchair next to me, a perfect cure for insomnia.

Terry Griffiths.......:coffee1:

46 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Saw Jimmy in Pattaya last month. Also saw him at the World Champ qualifiers last year. He is far from the player he was. Too much time spent in Pattaya!!?

1 hour ago, transam said:

Poss ol' buddy.....Archery, pistol/rifle shooting, angling etc are all sports where physical fitness doesn't really come into the equation...

I have played snooker for decades and am near useless at it but I love it...Professional players make it look easy but I can assure you it ain't...:stoner:

I have no doubt it is not easy Trans, your first sentence, you are talking about pastimes, not sports.

They also call darts a sport, there was a world champion darts player in Scotland Jocky something, and he had a belly

like a tattooed monger in Pattaya, could he really be called a sportsman?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I have no doubt it is not easy Trans, your first sentence, you are talking about pastimes, not sports.

They also call darts a sport, there was a world champion darts player in Scotland Jocky something, and he had a belly

You will find a few I mentioned are Olympic sports..?

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As a lifelong teetotaler possum 1931, you cannot conceive of the skill needed to drink ten pints of beer a night. The strength and stamina required to constantly lift a pint glass full of beer from a table to the lips requires years of practice or elbow grease as it is known in the trade, Then there is the consumption, the ability to hold two or three pints before the necessary trip to the bathroom,: this involves the extension of the stomach muscles to resemble a barrel shape which again takes years to hone. 

4 hours ago, champers said:

Sorry to disagree Possum, but nearly all the top professionals are fit and train to stay that way. There is a very good living to be made at the top of the game and the overweight, heavy drinkers and smokers are mostly a thing of the past. 

That said, a sport played whilst wearing a suit doesn't really seem like a sport to some people. I would say it is more of a sport than darts, which may not be saying much.

According to my dictionary (courtesy of my Kindle) a sport is 'an activity involving physical exertion and skill'. Now, granted, snooker involves far less physical activity than, say football, (but more than many people think) but it does, none the less: meet the criteria as a sport. So do I not think that it is wrong to call it thus.

On the other hand the same dictionary defines both football and snooker as a game, so perhaps we should be applying a different criteria. To whit, Is it a competitive activity that involves both skill and physical exertion?

Clearly both are. So I would argue that applying the word 'sport' to snooker is not illegitimate.