Do Thai people deal with death better than us?

Hutch68

3 hours ago, sanukjim said:

No,It is about the same.Except for Lazarus and Jesus no one has been known to escape it.

"no one has been known to escape it"

...because no one knows .   And no one who hasn't actually returned from the dead can claim to know anything about it, one way or the other, black, white, hot, cold, or anything else.   Atheism is just another belief, no more founded in fact or "reason" than any other religion.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would Fardels bear, 
to grunt and sweat under a weary life,
but that the dread of something after death,
the undiscovered country, from whose bourn
no traveller returns, puzzles the will,
and makes us rather bear those ills we have,
than fly to others that we know not of.

11 hours ago, deepinlaos said:

they forget easy

don't hang onto the past like westerners

For Buddhists, life is suffering.  Suffering is caused by craving and desire.  That would include the desire to still have loved ones who died.

Then there are the concepts of reality and the illusory nature of life and our perception.  The universe is not under our control.

My son has been dead 12 years now.  Sometimes I think I just imagined him.  Sometimes I'm sad, sometimes I laugh when I think about him.  And if I can't find one of my tools, I sometimes blame it on him.  :)

12 hours ago, deepinlaos said:

they forget easy

don't hang onto the past like westerners

11 hours ago, Sirbergan said:

You definitely haven't met my wife!

When my first son was born in 1984, I was late bringing lunch to the hospital (must eat rice).  25-30 years later, I still got crap for that.

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

For Buddhists, life is suffering.  Suffering is caused by craving and desire.  That would include the desire to still have loved ones who died.

Then there are the concepts of reality and the illusory nature of life and our perception.  The universe is not under our control.

My son has been dead 12 years now.  Sometimes I think I just imagined him.  Sometimes I'm sad, sometimes I laugh when I think about him.  And if I can't find one of my tools, I sometimes blame it on him.  :)

I admire your take on life and death, Damrongsak. I was going to say you're a true Buddhist but then I really don't know enough of Buddhism to say that. I just think you like some others have a knack for finding your way to happiness, even from such tragedies as the loss of a child. To my mind, to always see a glass half full is a blessing conferred more by inherent personality traits and life events than a particular faith.

Also it helps to have a sense of humor.  People who like to see the funny side tend to bounce back more easily.

By the way great pic earlier of your son. Bet he left a lot of grieving females.

Edited by The Dancer

The looks of almost scorn I used to get when I showed emotion or tears over issues like someone's death..gone already ...as if to say it's over he/she has gone now you have to get on with putting food on the plate etc. Not a particular race that shows much empathy and like others have said a very practical and realistic view on grief. The Buddhist influence I'm sure plays it part but mostly just a way of life and what they know . 

Interesting perspectives offered. I believe people share common characteristics - love for family, partner, hopes for your children etc.Grief , loss and hearbreak occur all around the world. And most people experience the different stages of mourning. Unfortunately death is very personal. Those affected by it generally tend to lean on "tradition" in their particular culture so they have tools to rely on while dealing with the experience.

Yer--My wife must of been thinking about it of late---because she asked me only yesterday where I would like to be buried.......

Apparently,

" Balls deep in your younger sister " wasn't the acceptable  answer ………….::coffee1:

I can't figure it out either.

My wife informs me that her father was an alcoholic who destroyed the family business and reduced them to a life of penury and then died at a comparatively young age of cirrhosis of the liver.She then goes on to say very proudly that 500 people turned up to his funeral and how well respected he was!

Nevertheless he certainly has left his mark on a family that has more than its fair share of raging alcoholics.

Let's not forget, Thais are very PRAGMATIC.

- If the deceased left a nice inheritance. If tears flow, would those be tears of joy or grief ?

- If the deceased was a "deathbeat", that had to be supported by the family for decades. If tears flow, would those be tears of joy or grief ?

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

It is said that one of Buddha's students asked him about life after death. 

Buddha answered not to worry about after death. We all find out directly, eventually. Rather think of this day. Live it well. Then when death comes, you will be well prepared.

On 3/11/2017 at 11:55 PM, swissie said:

Folks that believe in any sort of resurrection tend to deal better with the inevitable.

World champions are people that blow themselves up in crowded aereas, knowing that paradise awaits them wit 77 virgins at their disposal.

Cheers.

bury your head in  the  sand,  or  bury  you  6 feet  under, ill  take  the  refreshing if depressing   logic of 6  foot  under

On 3/14/2017 at 2:24 PM, hawker9000 said:

...because no one knows .   And no one who hasn't actually returned from the dead can claim to know anything about it, one way or the other, black, white, hot, cold, or anything else.   Atheism is just another belief, no more founded in fact or "reason" than any other religion.

Atheism doesnt  have all the answers  unlike religion which tells  you it has

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

The answer to all questions isn't the point.  But you knew that aleardy, didn't you?

Hang on, you said that you didn't know that religion professed to have the answers, I said then what is their attraction, because like kannot I believe they say they do. Now you are saying the answer to the questions isn't the point. Perhaps you would like to spell out what the point is exactly?

Edited by giddyup

Atheism is simply a non belief in God or Gods. That's it. Most people arrive at this through their own logical thought process or rational thinking due to lack of evidence for God or Gods. It is not a religion.

Regarding death I do think that Buddhists seem to deal with it quite well or differently than others.

As an atheist I am ok with death. I couldn't find anything more repulsive than eternal life. When someone dies I don't find comfort in nonsense spoken like 'at least they are in a better place' or similar unfounded nonsense.

When they learn, that somebody is dying, they will be crying for a day. And after a day, they will be ok. When that person dies, they will be crying for a day again. And than they will be ok again. They just deal with it in short period of time and then they are OK.

By being ok a mean being totaly ok. Mother was taken home from hospital, so she could die at her home. And family was making fun of her son.

Because when lady across a street died, he was wearing Budhist ammulets a for couple of nights. As he was scared of her ghost. And they were making fun of him, what is he going to do, when his own mom dies in his own house? Will he drag a big Budha statue from temple to his bedroom? She was still alive in a next room. And they were just ok.

I'm sorry for your loss.

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

Atheism is simply a non belief in God or Gods. That's it. Most people arrive at this through their own logical thought process or rational thinking due to lack of evidence for God or Gods. It is not a religion.

Regarding death I do think that Buddhists seem to deal with it quite well or differently than others.

As an atheist I am ok with death. I couldn't find anything more repulsive than eternal life. When someone dies I don't find comfort in nonsense spoken like 'at least they are in a better place' or similar unfounded nonsense.

religion - i actively believe there's a god, atheism - i actively belive there isn't a god

what is a word for a person, who doesn't care and can't be bothered with this topic?

Edited by howard ashoul

14 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

religion - i actively believe there's a god, atheism - i actively belive there isn't a god

what is a word for a person, who doesn't care and can't be bothered with this topic?

Apathetic.

I think Thais deal with life and death better than westerners. Thais have a way of just overlooking bad events and living for today while we fret about the past and the future. I don't know how they do it, but I wish I could.

7 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

religion - i actively believe there's a god WITH  NO EVIDENCEatheism - i actively belive there isn't a god BECAUSE THERES NO EVIDENCE

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

I think Thais deal with life and death better than westerners. Thais have a way of just overlooking bad events and living for today while we fret about the past and the future. I don't know how they do it, but I wish I could.

and  a  lot  of  them  end  up  dead early   because  of  that

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

Hang on, you said that you didn't know that religion professed to have the answers, I said then what is their attraction, because like kannot I believe they say they do. Now you are saying the answer to the questions isn't the point. Perhaps you would like to spell out what the point is exactly?

Living a good life while on the planet... No one has all the answers.

Edited by Ramen087