Sniffing out Thaivisa member food trends ...

Jingthing

Just for fun.

In the last few months, is there a national cuisine type that you've been eating more often than before?

If so, let's hear about it.

This is a structured thread, as follows.

Please fill in the blanks --

In the last few months, I've been eating NATIONAL FOOD TYPE  food more often.

I live in Thailand. 

(OR)

I live in the nation of FILL IN THE BLANK.

Some SAMPLE RESPONSES so you can copy the FORMAT:

In the last few months, I've been eating Ethiopian food more often.

I live in England.

--

In the last few months, I've been eating Mexican food more often.

I live in Thailand.

OPTIONAL EXTRAS FOR BROWNIE POINTS! 

If you'd like to add more information, about specific foods within the national food type, go ahead.

For example, Chinese food, hand pulled noodles.

If you'd like to be more specific about where you live in Thailand, or where you live in another country, go ahead.

For example Chiang Mai, Thailand or Paris, France.

Edited by Jingthing

23 minutes ago, transam said:

I live in my own little world where HP sauce reins.....:stoner:

Probably more of a "citified" topic (regardless of country) - where food/club/shopping/event trends are more important to the "trendies" lifestyles....

been at home in Thailand now fer about 6 months....eating a lot of curried beans and making my own flatbread...alternate with chilli when I can get frozen ground beef from makro, eat with homade flour tortillas, frijoles refritos made with bacon fat, etc...use a lot of fresh tomatoes with the preparation...a big pot lasts a couple of days...

1 minute ago, tutsiwarrior said:

been at home in Thailand now fer about 6 months....eating a lot of curried beans and making my own flatbread...alternate with chilli when I can get frozen ground beef from makro, eat with homade flour tortillas, frijoles refritos made with bacon fat, etc...use a lot of fresh tomatoes with the preparation...a big pot lasts a couple of days...

I would like to make a huge pan of Chili Con Carnie and bag it up in individual bags for the freezer...I love it...Suppose Google will have the info...:stoner:

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I would like to make a huge pan of Chili Con Carnie and bag it up in individual bags for the freezer...I love it...Suppose Google will have the info...:stoner:

there must be a million recipes fer chilli as it's a perennial western favorite...I use the basic recipe that I've been usin' fer 40 years but recently been adding a little cumin, not too much mind as it can overwhelm...

I've started making it again as I can get kilo bags of ground beef at makro which was a major discovery...also facilitates meatloaf, meatballs, bolognaise, etc...good 'ol western downhome cookin'...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

In the past few months, I have been eating Myanmar food more often.

I live in Myanmar, not in a tourist area. The only foreign food restaurants are Thai restaurants (with pretty tasty food).

IMHO, a lot of Myanmar food is very unhealthy ==> white rice, pigs' <deleted> or intestines fried in car sump oil.

For that reason, I previously studiously avoided buying any Myanmar food.

Now I'm trying to delve a little deeper into foods that fall outside the unhealthy tag.

In my local supermarket, I found chive root and mixed spices that is either eaten on it's own or sprinkled on other food.  It is very tasty just on it's own.

There are one hundred weird foods in the supermarket - some look terrible but maybe taste OK.  I have to be adventurous.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Farang?

I'm not familiar with that nationality.

Are they in the E.U.?

From the EU...See, you can learn something every day.....

That reminds me, I have a Link for you, I forgot....Off topic...Sorry..

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Some are I guess, some also from USA/UK/Aus etc etc.

Oh.

I'm still confused.

Perhaps you're creating an imaginary super nation in your mind of the POTATO peoples.

So would that mean Peru and Ecuador would be in the Farang nation as well?

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh.

I'm still confused.

Perhaps you're creating an imaginary super nation in your mind of the POTATO peoples.

Could be if they like potatoes as I do...:stoner:

Just now, Jingthing said:

Oh.

I'm still confused.

As Ive not eaten any food that originates from either of those places in past few months  I'll have to say no.

Living in Thailand. 

Food intake consists of:

Korean chicken (kimmchi sauce)

KFC - this blacklist burger they got

Kapow moo gorb  

Local noodles with chicken

Local steak 

Koh pad chicken

Beans on toast with fresh onion and cheese sprinkled over. Touch of chilli in beans

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Living in Thailand. 

Food intake consists of:

Korean chicken (kimmchi sauce)

KFC - this blacklist burger they got

Kapow moo gorb  

Local noodles with chicken

Local steak 

Koh pad chicken

Beans on toast with fresh onion and cheese sprinkled over. Touch of chilli in beans

Great, but that didn't answer the main question at all.

The question is what national cuisine have you eaten MORE OF in the last few months?

In other words, looking for recent changes in habits. Not habits per se.

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Great, but that didn't answer the main question at all.

The question is what national cuisine have you eaten MORE OF in the last few months?

In other words, looking for recent changes in habits. Not habits per se.

I know. Thanks. My answer stands no changes in habit. I look for spicy food more than I used to. KFC being my day off spice. 

I've started eating less "Italian" food, now my "Indian" colleague has left, as he was vegetarian, Mondays and Fridays. I still eat Indian food every Friday,  though, because the food court is quiet on extended-prayer-day,

I live opposite the Police Station (in 998 Letsby Avenue - just kidding; I do live opposite the police station, though).

SC

Yes, random life events can have an impact.

It's worth noting that if you're eating MORE of a certain nationality of food, it implies you're eating LESS of another nationality of food.

In my case, as I said more Indian. 

Less Thai for the random reason that my local/good/cheap Thai place changed their cook and now it's crap. 

I do find craving choices interesting, though in the real world cravings intersects with availability and budget. I could crave Ethiopian food till the cows come home in Pattaya, but it just ain't happening. 

Edited by Jingthing