Video: Senior official fined for smacking waiter who called him 'sugar daddy'

webfact

Senior official fined for smacking waiter who called him 'sugar daddy'

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — A senior official serving on the junta-appointed reform council was charged Tuesday for slapping a waiter who reportedly called him a “sugar daddy.”

Anusawn Chirapongse, a 60-year-old member of the National Reform Steering Assembly, was charged with assault and ordered to pay a 10,000 baht fine for the incident, which was captured on CCTV and went viral on social media.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/03/14/senior-official-fined-smacking-waiter-called-sugar-daddy/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-14

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Anusawn Chirapongse, a 60-year-old member of the National Reform Steering Assembly

"Reforms" you will love, or I'll slap you silly. More model behavior from the "good people". 

60 years old and he's helping with shaping the future of the country. Good luck, Thailand. You'll need it. 

The Friday altercation took place at Greyhound Cafe in the La Villa shopping mall on Phahon Yothin Road. The waiter, Chartalongkorn Nilyan, told police he was slapped on the right cheek by Anusawn while he was waiting on the politician’s table.

Screenshot_2017-03-14-19-45-13.png

Edited by tukkytuktuk

48 minutes ago, Dodgydownunder said:

In this case I don't blame the old guy. Uncalled for smart arse and disrespectful comment from the waiter was definitely out of line and deserved a bit of a slapping IMHO.

Does the term totally & specifically mean 'sugar daddy'.

I asked a few Thai friends, responses:

- Could be but it's really a quite flexible title.

- Not really, just a politeness to someone respected or known, and older 

Edited by scorecard

NRSA man fined 10,000 baht for slapping a bartender’s head for calling him “Pa”

1403001-NSRA.jpg

BANGKOK: -- National Reform Steering Assembly member Anusorn Jirapong who slapped the head of a bartender was fined 10,000 baht by Bang Sue police on assault charge.

Mr Anusorn, bartender Chartalongkorn Nilyarn and restaurant manageress Ms Sangravee Chueypoom were invited to Bang Sue police station on Tuesday by Pol Lt-Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, metropolitan police commissioner, for talk in order to settle the case out of court.

Mr Chartalongkorn told the police that he was summoned to see Mr Anusorn after he concocted drinks for him and the others sitting on the same table. He said that he called the assemblyman “Pa” and was slapped on the head.

The bartender continued saying that, later on, he felt he might not be treated fairly because his attacker was an assemblyman and decided to lodge a complaint with Bang Sue police.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nrsa-man-fined-10000-baht-slapping-bartenders-head-calling-pa/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-15

14 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

In this case I don't blame the old guy. Uncalled for smart arse and disrespectful comment from the waiter was definitely out of line and deserved a bit of a slapping IMHO.

A word doesnt justify a physical assault. He is one of the alleged leaders of the country and part of the National Reform Council.  What type of example is he setting for Thai youth if he uses violence in response to something that someone said.  Not much difference to the youths who almost kicked a security gaurd to death because he told one to stop revving his engine.  

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

A word doesnt justify a physical assault. He is one of the alleged leaders of the country and part of the National Reform Council.  What type of example is he setting for Thai youth if he uses violence in response to something that someone said.  Not much difference to the youths who almost kicked a security gaurd to death because he told one to stop revving his engine.  

Spot  on, thats because the fact is Thailand runs on fear, they know if they step out of line  too much theyll get far more than a smack, from the bottom right to the  top

7 hours ago, jerojero said:

Looks like "Do you know who I am! " didn't quite work this time (for the Govt Official).

Evidently he is the grandson of Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn! Military ruler of Thailand 1963 - 1973, for whom things didn't end so well. Surprise, he did a runner to the U.S., but was eventually allowed to slither back home.

He's being savaged on Thai social media, with lots of pictures of him with presumably all of his 'grand-daughters'.

in trouble.png

Edited by mtls2005

Unfortunately for him the CCTV was working this time. Another example of the class system at work as discussed in an earlier thread. I asked my g/f about this term "Sugar Daddy" and she tells me it can be intended many ways including the recognition of power and wealth. 

“A committee has been set up to review his ethical conduct,” Alongkorn said by telephone.

Of course, that is why it happened......there was a vacancy for yet another committee to be formed......cannot have too many committees,..... er......., jobs for the boys............:whistling:

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Maybe these youths are a product of viewing the pecking order here and they came to the conclusion it was their "right" to attack the security guard in numbers of course. Well Mr. Prayuth after reading this article it seems your advancement of justice just took a step backward. 

I am not clear what that assembly man was called.

But up in Nakhon Sawan they use "pah" and "mhaa" or "pee" when talking to elderly people even if not related.

I am not Thai and think it's endearing. But perhaps it's all about context like where you automatically know when you can call a senior citizen "gramps" back home and when you can't. 

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 1:07 PM, scorecard said:

Does the term totally & specifically mean 'sugar daddy'.

I asked a few Thai friends, responses:

- Could be but it's really a quite flexible title.

- Not really, just a politeness to someone respected or known, and older 

Several of my younger Thai friends call me Papa , I have never considered it disrespectful , guy is just being a knob.