New 100 Baht barber shop

Guderian

I'm always willing to try a new business that looks like good value. This is the only 100 Baht gent's barber shop I've come across that has air conditioning, at that price you're usually expected to sweat. It's on Thepprasit, right next door to Decorum. (Or just on the Jomtien-side of the big Rattanakorn market, if you don't know Decorum.)

Barber shop.jpg

There's no problem with parking, as you can see. If the gent's shop is empty the lady barber will be in the salon next door. She doesn't speak much English so be prepared. 

100 THB is the going rate in South Pattaya/Tukom area - on the dark side plenty of 80 and even some 60 THB barber shops available, and yes all I have have noticed with A/C.

2 hours ago, gerry1953 said:

Are any extras available or is it all inclusive - I mean ear and nose hair trimming and a nice shoulder rub!

All that is standard as far as I know. If ever my barber doesnt do my ears, nose and eyebrows I remind him/her. Dont care about the shoulder thing.

My problem with barbers here at any price is finding one that actually knows how to cut hair with scissors rather than just dabbing vaguely at my head with electric clippers which is what they mostly seem to do. Luckily hair grows back after a few weeks so no matter how lousy a job they do today I have a fair chance of looking less like a prat within a month.

80-100 Baht is the normal amount any place not on 2nd Road or I assume Beach Road, which caters more to casual foot traffic. Many like to go places that charge more for the ambiance and the clowns look at others who walk by as if they are in a first class cabin on an aircraft as all the others walk by back to economy. After your cut is done, and you are out the door, you look like anybody else in a third world country, a sleazy drunken sex craving bloke. Go ahead, "make our day" and pay 500 Baht for a 100 Baht haircut if it makes you feel above it all...God Bless You along way as you are in fact different, not like the others!

42 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

80-100 Baht is the normal amount any place not on 2nd Road or I assume Beach Road, which caters more to casual foot traffic. Many like to go places that charge more for the ambiance and the clowns look at others who walk by as if they are in a first class cabin on an aircraft as all the others walk by back to economy. After your cut is done, and you are out the door, you look like anybody else in a third world country, a sleazy drunken sex craving bloke. Go ahead, "make our day" and pay 500 Baht for a 100 Baht haircut if it makes you feel above it all...God Bless You along way as you are in fact different, not like the others!

I get my haircuts done in a salon in BKK when In LOS. I pay up as you indicate but to me it's worth it.  I like being pampered, getting a small cup of coffee, a hair wash with massage after the cut etc etc. It took three trips to this place to get a stylist who gives me the cut I like. When I walk out, you're right, I don't look much (or maybe any) different than someone paying a few hundred baht less. But I feel great, and that's what makes it worthwhile for me to spend the extra few hundred baht. It's a matter of treating myself a little bit better as I get older. I sacrificed a lot to get to the point where I can do It, and now's the time.

On 17/03/2017 at 8:48 AM, MrJ said:

100 THB is the going rate in South Pattaya/Tukom area - on the dark side plenty of 80 and even some 60 THB barber shops available, and yes all I have have noticed with A/C.

Free haircutting by students in Mr.Joes hairdressing academy (airconditioned) on 3rd road near the junctin with Pattaya tai,a tip is welcomed, and some of the young femail students are very easy on the eye,I,ve been using it for the past 3 years and in that time only lost one ear (joking) :cheesy:

2 hours ago, petermik said:

Free haircutting by students in Mr.Joes hairdressing academy (airconditioned) on 3rd road near the junctin with Pattaya tai,a tip is welcomed,

I've been there. In fact the haircuts I've got there were no worse than the ones I get charged 80B for.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:14 PM, KittenKong said:

All that is standard as far as I know. If ever my barber doesnt do my ears, nose and eyebrows I remind him/her. Dont care about the shoulder thing.

My problem with barbers here at any price is finding one that actually knows how to cut hair with scissors rather than just dabbing vaguely at my head with electric clippers which is what they mostly seem to do. Luckily hair grows back after a few weeks so no matter how lousy a job they do today I have a fair chance of looking less like a prat within a month.

What;s the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut????

2 weeks

On 3/17/2017 at 11:12 PM, topt said:

Soi Bhuakhow left hand side going to Pattaya Klang just before the row of massage shops at that end, AC and 100baht for normal haircut or a shave.

Correct. Some cheaper as well if prepared to do without AC.

Pity Pattaya doesn't have the sort of hairdressers as are ( ?were ) on Sukhumvit near Soi 4. Pricy, but a much more "enjoyable" experience. Those that used them will know what I'm talking about.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

• 1 month later...

I could care less, if it costs me 80 or 150. I tip well for any good job anyway. I used to have a great barber, who left for BKK and never since found a good one again. I hate sitting in that chair and some guy snipping away 20-30 minutes for a job that takes a pro 8 minutes.....I am talking simple straightforward cut. Anybody with a fast-cutter, please let me know :-) Thanks and have a great day! MS>>

2 hours ago, moonseeker said:

I could care less, if it costs me 80 or 150. I tip well for any good job anyway. I used to have a great barber, who left for BKK and never since found a good one again. I hate sitting in that chair and some guy snipping away 20-30 minutes for a job that takes a pro 8 minutes.....I am talking simple straightforward cut. Anybody with a fast-cutter, please let me know :-) Thanks and have a great day! MS>>

I know a guy called Edward.....

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

simply will never get a haircut in thailand as no matter what you tell them to do they instead will do what they think is right

No they won't if you give the instructions in an understandable fashion. As I said in another thread:

On 11/26/2016 at 11:15 AM, JSixpack said:

Most stylists in most of the shops except the dirt cheap Thai-only shops will not use clippers if you tell them not to. Also you should take a CD marking pen (water soluble) and mark up your head with directions, like draw a line 1/2 inch from the top of your ear to indicate hair length desired there. Be sure to do both ears. After all, the complaint is usually that they cut too much. If you write numbers, use cm of course. A few well-placed arrows might not go amiss.

They find this most helpful and rarely forget afterwards.

You may refuse to pay, say, 20 baht of the charge if they didn't follow your explicit directions. Now they may wish to argue, but the markings will make it all clear.

28 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No they won't if you give the instructions in an understandable fashion. As I said in another thread:

comedy gold buddy and more worryingly am not sure if you're jesting or not !

(refer to previous post for the dialogue my post was aimed at)

Edited by Chivas

On 17/03/2017 at 3:12 AM, topt said:

Soi Bhuakhow left hand side going to Pattaya Klang just before the row of massage shops at that end, AC and 100baht for normal haircut or a shave.

I tried this place, assuming it is the one about 50 yards from the corner of Buakow and Klang. Yes, it's aircon. Yes, it's 100B. Yes, the barbers are ladies (on the day I went). Yes, they do the usual bad "dabbing" job with electric shears. I maintain that it is impossible to cut hair properly without using scissors and am still looking for somewhere that does.

On 20/03/2017 at 0:46 PM, Riggpig said:

His name is boonpin. 80 baht
Bloody good and takes his time

Where exactly is this person located? As far as I can see it is not the place described in the message to which you replied (lady barbers, 100B, very close to Klang).