Abbot, 77, kicked in the head by angry worshipper in second attack this week

webfact

Abbot, 77, kicked in the head by angry worshipper in second attack this week

3am.jpg

Picture Thairath

HAT YAI: -- A father of three kicked a 77 year old monk in the head after he got cross for not giving him some decent food to eat.

The man had been complaining that the monks at the local temple took all the best food leaving only scraps for the locals, Thai Rath reported.

After being offered some food that he refused he went back, paid his respects by "graap-ing" the monk three times, then got up and kicked him in the head.

Abbot Platsaen Jinnasaro, 77, was left dazed but thankfully has recovered. Though he wants the police in Hat Yai to find the man responsible and press charges.

Following the incident Thursday morning at the temple of Wat Tha Khian in Hat Yai, Songkhla, another monk called Chamnan Thipkaew went to police to report the incident.

Chamnan said that at about 7.30am as the abbot and half a dozen other monks were eating breakfast a man and his three children arrived on a motorbike. The man asked the abbot for some food to take home to go with some rice he had cooking.

The abbot offered him some fish curry and "gaeng jeut", a mild soup.

But the man said he didn't like that and started mouthing off saying the monks were feasting on lovely food leaving nothing for the locals to enjoy.

He drove off but soon came back. The abbot was still eating.

The man went up to the old man and fell to his knees to "graap" him three times in the gesture of respect that Buddhist laity perform to monks.

However, following this gesture of respect the man got up and kicked the abbot in the nape of the neck knocking him down and hurting his left cheek.

Other monks intervened and tried to calm the situation as the man repeated his grievances about the monks having nice food while the locals had nothing but scraps.

As they waited for police to arrive the assailant managed to get away on his motorbike.

Concerned members of the public near the temple were glad to hear that the abbot was on the mend yesterday as police began the hunt for the man who attacked him.

The abbot wants to press charges but the police said they expect to find the man locally and when they do they will take him into the

temple to see if the abbot is prepared to accept an apology to settle the matter.

The attack was the second on a monk this week after a policeman in Trang was fined 500 baht for grappling with a monk on his morning alms round reportedly believing him to be a bogus member of the clergy.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-24

That food must have so delicious and so scrumptious that is

warrant to kick an old man in the head, never mind being a monk,

I tell you, people are losing all values and respects to each other now days....

Edited by ezzra

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

That food must have so delicious and so scrumptious that is

warrant to kick an old man in the head, never mind being a monk,

I tell you, people are losing all values and respects to each other now days....

To me it seems the Thai are tired of bad monks.

A possible scenario.....

He had the rice cooking already as stated in the report so he told his family he was going out to buy some good food all the time planning to get it from the temple.

When he didnt get it he lost face but it wasn't his fault it was the abbot's fault......

"A father of three kicked a 77 year old monk in the head after he got cross for not giving him some decent food to eat."

Not that surprising, since it appears that many monks are spending more time acquiring those material items they were supposed to have renounced, than teaching the wisdom of Buddha. 

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

"A father of three kicked a 77 year old monk in the head after he got cross for not giving him some decent food to eat."

Not that surprising, since it appears that many monks are spending more time acquiring those material items they were supposed to have renounced, than teaching the wisdom of Buddha. 

Many monks.

But not all of them!

When I go to the temple with my friend and offer food we never expect to get anything back with us. Sometimes we stay and eat from what's left after the ceremony and I see some people getting bags to take food with them back home, still it's after the monks and the people that eats in the temple has finished eating.

You should not offer more food/money to the monks than you feel comfortable with. I have friends that are poor rice farmers that basically only give rice and water to the the monks and then eat from the food that others provide, I also have friends that are quite rich that give food wort 500-1,000 Baht just in ingredients and then they don't even stay around to eat in the temple.

But as many say, beggars cant be choosers and the monks beg for the food in the first place... so this man is begging from the beggars!

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The phrase 'beggars can't be choosers'comes to mind.

Maybe, had he gone to another temple nearby, they may have been able to offer him a gourmet meal !

Or maybe the real story is that the monk gave him the wrong lottery numbers while giving the winning numbers to another worshiper.

4 hours ago, jaltsc said:

The food that the monks get to eat at the temple (and IIRC they only eat one meal a day) is mostly given by the locals on the morning alms round. Sometimes families will make extra food for a party and give it directly to the monks at the Wat. IIRC anyone can go to the temple and ask for food, but only after the monks have eaten.

We really do not know what happened. We may have gotten a somewhat twisted version of events. Frankly, I am all for giving the clergy some "discipline" if it is well deserved. 

Abbot Platsaen Jinnasaro, 77, was left dazed but thankfully has recovered. Though he wants the police in Hat Yai to find the man responsible and press charges.

Is that really setting a good example for the community? One wonders how many hours a day this monk spends in contemplation, meditation, and the search for peace of mind, and joy.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The abbot wants to press charges but the police said they expect to find the man locally and when they do they will take him into the

temple to see if the abbot is prepared to accept an apology to settle the matter.

He assaulted a 77 year old man.

An apology is far from an appropriate response.

BIB can't be arsed with the paper work I'm guessing.

This man goes begging to the monks for food, and then feels he has the right to choose which food that is given to him...  NO ! ! 

He should take what is offered and be thankful.     "BEGGERS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS" ! ! ! 

On 2017/3/23 at 5:38 PM, JaiMaai said:

A possible scenario.....

He had the rice cooking already as stated in the report so he told his family he was going out to buy some good food all the time planning to get it from the temple.

When he didnt get it he lost face but it wasn't his fault it was the abbot's fault......

You may be right JaiMaii, and I was thinking may be he gamble away the money for buying foods, or used it to pay off bad debts when he met his gambling friends.

So now what to do? He thought he could get something from the monks.

He was not in good mood when he lost money in gambling, so the monk had an unlucky day.

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We really do not know what happened. We may have gotten a somewhat twisted version of events. Frankly, I am all for giving the clergy some "discipline" if it is well deserved. 

Is that really setting a good example for the community? One wonders how many hours a day this monk spends in contemplation, meditation, and the search for peace of mind, and joy.

We probably got the correct version and not a twisted one that you allude to. Giving clergy "discipline" because he assaulted an abbot simply because he did not like the food he was given for free? Frankly I think that you are the twisted one.

Would you have pressed charges if you were in the abbots position and 77 years old?

I am 72, not an abbot or a monk but I would have pressed charged.

An unprovoked assault is still an assault no matter which way you try to spin it. The fact that the victim was 77 was bad enough, but an abbot as well.