R1090 Umphang Death Hwy - Best Route Outside Northern Thailand

R1090 - 1219 Corners of "Umphang Death Highway" section stretching along 114km between towns of Phop Phra and Umphang. This is the Thai version of North Carolina's "Tail of the Dragon". It is not just about tight bends and switchbacks meandering through remote mountainous landscape of Tak Province but incredible scenery, viewpoints, forestry parks, wildlife sanctuaries, exotic ethnic Karen villages and impressive Tararak, Pa Wai and Pha Charoen waterfalls as depicted in this video.

More on this at GT Rider report.

An interesting report but for me the video could have done with 10 times fewer edits, and much less time devoted to bikes and their drivers. The drone shots were particularly good but were much too short. It reminded me of an extract from Fast and Furious.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont have cable TV. I looked for your video on their Youtube channel but couldn't find it. A shame as I would like to see it.

I would like to see it too.

Have lived some years in Umphang and know the road very well. When I first travelled there it was still more of a dirt track, mostly only one and a half lane. traveling that road in the back of a pick-up meant sneezing dirt for a few days. But the sights were great. Over the years the road has improved and farming along the road means that a lot of forest was changed into farm land.

The road itself is no longer a real death highway, tough still be careful at the many curves. Main cause of death is brake failure now. Once traveling home to Umphang the local song-teaw went straight down the hill because of brake failure. & dead if i recall correctly, only 1 survivor.

Because of the better road Umpahng has changed a lot over the year. They now even have a 7-11. 25 years ago the town was dead after 5 PM.

This wouldn't happen to be the one that was filmed by Jay and his Wife that used to live in Thailand. They have a Youtube channel called 8miles from home. Sorry if i'm wrong but it looks very similar to one of their Vlogs they done a year or so back.  

21 hours ago, irishken said:

This wouldn't happen to be the one that was filmed by Jay and his Wife that used to live in Thailand. They have a Youtube channel called 8miles from home. Sorry if i'm wrong but it looks very similar to one of their Vlogs they done a year or so back.  

No, it was filmed by us on multiple cameras and drones but edited by Jay. He is true artist.

I did that trip about 5 or 6 years ago on my Honda Phantom 200cc. A really nice ride but for the numpty in a Honda Civic who was trying to eat my back tyre to get past me for about 4 km. In the end I let the little <deleted> past before he hit me or somebody coming the other way.

• 6 months later...