Thaksin hit with summons for Bt17.6-bn tax bill

webfact

By The Nation

2f34898516a93f6e1fad745e92af8df0.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Revenue Department on Tuesday issued a tax summons demanding former premier Thaksin Shinawatra pay back taxes and fines worth Bt17.63 billion. Tax officials lodged the summons at Thaksin’s home on Charansanitwong Road.

Thaksin can appeal to the Revenue Department’s tax committee within 30 days. 

If the tax committee rules against him, he can appeal to the Central Tax Court.

The Revenue Department action came after the government instructed it to do so before the March 31 deadline of the summons issuance.

The controversial tax liability is considered to have been incurred from the sale of Shin Corp shares in 2006.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30310523

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-28

The junta are putting a superior adversary in the limelight, giving a stage from which to speak.  Not a good idea for those with less than nimble minds.  But they just want the money.  Don't think they know what they are getting themselves into.

Edited by yellowboat

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The junta are putting a superior adversary in the limelight, giving a stage from which to speak.  Not a good idea for this with less than nimble minds.  But they just want the money.  Don't think they know what they are doing. 

They are desperate for the money. The country is going broke - fast! Big ticket items like highways and hi-speed trains crisscrossing the country being  promised almost daily.

Last reports had Domestic Currency Reserves almost depleted. And the Chinese need the up-front deposit for the submarines by the end of the month. 

Seems the simple solution is to send Thaksin a tax bill every month and up the booze tax and everything will be OK. No mention of cutting back the waste and corruption in the civil service

31 minutes ago, Basil B said:

In person???

Since this assessment is the result of an administrative determination and not a criminal action, I'd expect that he shouldn't have to appear in person. A representative should suffice.

As a side note, serving notice of tax liability at Thaksin's last known (?) address in Thailand with full knowledge that Thaksin has been living permanently in Dubai since 2008 is a questionable legal notice. But then due process of law under the Prayut regime has been just as questionable.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

By The Nation

2f34898516a93f6e1fad745e92af8df0.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Revenue Department on Tuesday issued a tax summons demanding former premier Thaksin Shinawatra pay back taxes and fines worth Bt17.63 billion. Tax officials lodged the summons at Thaksin’s home on Charansanitwong Road.

Thaksin can appeal to the Revenue Department’s tax committee within 30 days. 

If the tax committee rules against him, he can appeal to the Central Tax Court.

The Revenue Department action came after the government instructed it to do so before the March 31 deadline of the summons issuance.

The controversial tax liability is considered to have been incurred from the sale of Shin Corp shares in 2006.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30310523

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-28

How about looking at the present administration who paint themselves as above investigating. Their bank balances will probably be in credit by a large amount. Ah but you cannot do that as the top man has put in place a law that protects them.

44 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Since this assessment is the result of an administrative determination and not a criminal action, I'd expect that he shouldn't have to appear in person. A representative should suffice.

As a side note, serving notice of tax liability at Thaksin's last known (?) address in Thailand with full knowledge that Thaksin has been living permanently in Dubai since 2008 is a questionable legal notice. But then due process of law under the Prayut regime has been just as questionable.

In Thailand, you can post a summons at someone's residence (on the door), if you are unable to serve them personally. I've had to do this, even though we knew the person no longer lived at that residence.  It then becomes the summoned person's responsibility to quash service, which the court is unlikely to do if the summoned person has fled the jurisdiction.

4 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

the court is unlikely to do if the summoned person has fled the jurisdiction.

That's my point. He has not fled jurisdiction of the tax notice, having left Thailand very publicly many years before the tax notice was issued. But judicial nonsense in the Thai courts is not untypical.

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I have a feeling Baz was taking the piss, nice sensible reply all the same

4 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

The country needs money he wants to come back as a free man

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not while the junta is around however pink lint they are

His best chance would be to ignore the tax demand and use the  money to look into the chances of immortality

4 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

They are desperate for the money. The country is going broke - fast! Big ticket items like highways and hi-speed trains crisscrossing the country being  promised almost daily.

Last reports had Domestic Currency Reserves almost depleted. And the Chinese need the up-front deposit for the submarines by the end of the month. 

Seems the simple solution is to send Thaksin a tax bill every month and up the booze tax and everything will be OK. No mention of cutting back the waste and corruption in the civil service

you can't have been in Thailand. Very long. His tax case was firstly deliberately delayed by him when he was in power and then again when his sister Was in power. he bribed everyone involved. It has nothing to do with the junta, but they are least trying to do something about it.

5 hours ago, Godang said:

How about looking at the present administration who paint themselves as above investigating. Their bank balances will probably be in credit by a large amount. Ah but you cannot do that as the top man has put in place a law that protects them.

Its called progress, they learnt from their predecessors mistakes clever dont you think

In short its no good bolting the gate after the horse has done one, as in bolted

Edited by oldlakey

31 minutes ago, gamini said:

you can't have been in Thailand. Very long. His tax case was firstly deliberately delayed by him when he was in power and then again when his sister Was in power. he bribed everyone involved. It has nothing to do with the junta, but they are least trying to do something about it.

Have been here a long time. Probably longer than you. I wasn't commenting on Thaksin I was commenting on the lack of funds to keep the economy rolling.

And rolling it is ....backwards. Get yourself focused on the topic of discussion rather than side issues.

"OK guys, fellow Generals, let's pick some lottery numbers ..let's start with 1 ..good, good ..7 over there  ..yes  and 6 Ok and 3 ..great ..."

"I've got an idea why don't we, for a laugh, stick a dot in the middle and say Taksin owns us this in billions"

We fell about the floor laughing !!!

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

You think due process wasn't questionable before?

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

That's my point. He has not fled jurisdiction of the tax notice, having left Thailand very publicly many years before the tax notice was issued. But judicial nonsense in the Thai courts is not untypical.

Thaksin likes to sue people for defamation through his representatives. That line of communication is two way.

Doubt very much that papers have to be served and actually received by the addressee.

5 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

In Thailand, you can post a summons at someone's residence (on the door), if you are unable to serve them personally. I've had to do this, even though we knew the person no longer lived at that residence.  It then becomes the summoned person's responsibility to quash service, which the court is unlikely to do if the summoned person has fled the jurisdiction.

Yep. I've seen that happen to people on out moobaan. Usually people who haven't kept up loan payments on house and/or car. They normally tape it to the gate while one of our security guards watches on.

I don't hear too much singing from the Thaksin supporters now ......

Well done Thailand and Khun Prayuth for going after this cheat and thief who stole billions of baht from the thai people and it's economy ......

perhaps now the people are starting to realize the truth and reason behind this criminal.

who knows what other shady deals were committed during his tenure.

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You think due process wasn't questionable before?

There was nothing to be questioned before. No due process (ie., tax notice) took place previously which is why the government is now taking belated action.