New traffic regulation to deal with drunk driving

webfact

3 hours ago, naboo said:

So the temporary licence limit is now 20mg. That will affect the expats here on tourist visas who cannot get a 5 year licence, as well as all expats in there first year or two in the country until they get a full licence.

Need to look at the wording of the amendment but Thailand doesn't have 'learners licences',  so the temporary licence must refer to the first licences you get when you pass your test, or when you show a foreign licence, before you are eligible for the 5-year licence.  I think this is pretty clear but the situation of foreigners who are driving on an international licence may be less clear.

However, due to the fact that Thailand only ever ratified the 1949 convention on international driving permits but not the current 1968 convention, international driving licences are only valid in Thailand for 3 months from the date of  issue, whatever it says on the licence.   That probably puts a good proportion of foreign tourists into the driving without a valid licence category.  

This amendment has been proposed for over 10 years and is only now seeing the light of day.  It seems generally a good idea.  A very high proportion of traffic injuries and fatalities must be due to young motorcyclists driving without valid licences or helmets and under the influence of alcohol, drugs or both.  I think it doesn't go quite far enough.  25 would be a better age limit, as most people's propensity towards dangerous driving behaviour has significantly reduced by then and they are also more skilled at controlling their vehicles.  

If foreigners are caught up in this, then so be it, if it makes roads a tiny bit safer. They just need to be a little more careful not to get over the limit until they get a 5-year licence.  To be safe, it is better not to drink and drive at all.

Even though police will still accept bribes to let drunk drivers drive on, the threat of being hassled and shaken down for cash is still a reasonable deterrent for most Thai drivers and you never know when you are going to be out of luck and hit a "no bribes" day.

Edited by Dogmatix

7 hours ago, shanesox said:

Using phones behind the wheel with the darkened windows another way of causing accidents and injury to other road users, random checks of these along with possible drunks is the only way forward and of course tough penalties . But will it happen ? Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I hope not as the road blocks cause major traffic jams. 

More BS.  Just do what is supposed to be done.  Who do they think they are fooling?  Maybe they keep the education level low, but there is this thing called the internet now, and the younger generations know the police just don't do their jobs.  I mean, I talk about it with Thai people, and they just say "yes, you are right".

11 hours ago, shanesox said:

Using phones behind the wheel with the darkened windows another way of causing accidents and injury to other road users, random checks of these along with possible drunks is the only way forward and of course tough penalties . But will it happen ? Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Using phones while driving starts at an early age:   Look at the number of folk on motor bikes who are seen driving with one hand while texting with the other.

9 hours ago, naboo said:

So the temporary licence limit is now 20mg. That will affect the expats here on tourist visas who cannot get a 5 year licence, as well as all expats in there first year or two in the country until they get a full licence.

Don't drink and drive and you won't have an issue, a couple of light beers should be ok over a course of a few hours, it won't kill you ?

20 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Need to look at the wording of the amendment but Thailand doesn't have 'learners licences',  so the temporary licence must refer to the first licences you get when you pass your test, or when you show a foreign licence, before you are eligible for the 5-year licence.  I think this is pretty clear but the situation of foreigners who are driving on an international licence may be less clear.

However, due to the fact that Thailand only ever ratified the 1949 convention on international driving permits but not the current 1968 convention, international driving licences are only valid in Thailand for 3 months from the date of  issue, whatever it says on the licence.   That probably puts a good proportion of foreign tourists into the driving without a valid licence category.  

It would appear that the 1949 Convention says that an IDP is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

Validation[edit]

According to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, an IDP remains valid for one year from the date of issue. However, according to the Vienna Convention, an IDP remains valid for no more than three years from the date of issue, or until the expiration date of national driving permit, whichever is earlier. An IDP is not valid for driving in the country where it was issued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit#The_1949_convention

• 9 months later...

At the very end: nothing will change in driving drunk, younger or older drivers not care and not scared as they not loose anthing: still can go on with their cars or motorbikes, the fines are just to laugh and the pribes can make it easy to go without beeing hurt or punished by law or justice or whatever

So thailand love to be a hub: they won and will win ever the hub to be 1st in death on the roads!!!!!!!!!!

congratulation!