insurance policy when taking a short trip away from Thailand

davidst01

I've been living in Thailand for several years and intend to take a short holiday with my Thai family. 

Re travel insurance, am I covered if I take a policy out with a Thai insurance company (i.e. Bangkok insurance). Or am I best to obtain a policy from the mother country? Obviously I know that my Thai wife would be 100% covered by a policy but what about me if Im not a thai national?

Does anyone have any experience with this? To be precise... Your a farang living in Thailand, you took out a travel ins pol with a thai insurance company and was able to claim from an insurable event that happened when on holidays. 

thanks

I found several Thai insurance companies that do travel insurance for overseas trips. All seem to apply to farangs living here. Medical expenses cover was very low when compared with what is offered by companies overseas. Thai companies only seem to go up to 5MB maximum, with the cheaper packages offering only 1 or 2MB. Overseas companies frequently offer cover up to 5 million dollars.

Annual multi-trip insurance here seems to cost around 8,000B in the top tier. Individual trips of one month from around 700B up to around 2,500B, depending on the tier. All for worldwide travel. Travel excluding the US should be cheaper.

They seem to exclude existing medical conditions, which makes them a bit useless really. For example, I have high BP (under regular medication and very stable and not at all life-threatening) so am I covered if I have a stroke or a heart attack whilst on holiday? No one I asked seemed to know, so I suppose not.

I'm. British and resident here, I took out a policy with AXA here in Thailand prior to a short trip to Singapore, it cost me about 800 Baht and I purchased the policy just before we left home.

On the second day there I had a massive heart attack and my girlfriend got me to hospital where I was resuscitated and operated on, and then admitted.

The total bill was in the region of 700,000 Baht, which AXA reimbursed me in full.

The only downside with Thai insurers is that most, if not all, companies require that you settle the medical bills and claim when you get back home. 

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I'm. British and resident here, I took out a policy with AXA here in Thailand prior to a short trip to Singapore, it cost me about 800 Baht and I purchased the policy just before we left home.

On the second day there I had a massive heart attack and my girlfriend got me to hospital where I was resuscitated and operated on, and then admitted.

The total bill was in the region of 700,000 Baht, which AXA reimbursed me in full.

The only downside with Thai insurers is that most, if not all, companies require that you settle the medical bills and claim when you get back home. 

Im glad to hear that you are ok. 

I think that I will take out a policy with AXA!

Archived