working on my budget - give me your ideas and tips

dirkjones

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP doesn't appear to include condo rental in his list of budget items.

A condo with swimming pool in Chiang Mai is about 9000 - 12,000 baht a month.Usually 2 months security deposit required as well.

If the OP moves out to the San Kamphaeng area, he can rent a room with ensuite and aircon for about 4000 baht a month, including internet. However, unless he has considerable fluency in Thai he won't meet play for pay girls out there. Or the other kind for that matter. Those rooms don't have cooking facilities.

Don't know why he's budgeting for a cleaning lady, it's not hard to keep a 36 sqm room clean by yourself.

A secondhand scooter for 15000 to 20000 baht will pay for itself in terms of rental within a year.A bike rented in Chiang Mai for 1800 baht/month will be clapped out.

At 20,000 baht per month the OP would be existing, not living. I''d say 40,000 baht is a minimum.

Is the OP aware he may not be able to get a Work Permit for his photography profession?

8 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Some of this depends on where in Thailand you are planning to settle... and your resistance to temptations... but after the essentials, you are into discretionary and that will be up to you... you can only spend what you have, I assume? By that I mean you are trying to live on a fixed income... and if you budget 20,000 fur fun - - then, well, that's it until next month. 

I'm coming to Chiang mai. i'm coming with a savings.  The reason why i started with such a low number for entertainment is because i'm coming alone. and don't want to start spending out of boredom, i'm not coming for work., i'm not going to be working at all most likely.. If i did it would be online.. So even when i do start meeting friends majority are going to have a job i'm going to suspect. So i don't wanna spend  3 and 400 baht a day trying to stay busy. 

i figure i start with something low, and get advice and tips on a sensible budget  

All my cars and bikes insurance covers for injury caused by an accident. Now if you get dengue, have a heart attack, stroke, etc. then you need separate medical insurance coverage. Where I come from, the majority of your time must be spent in country of residence for travel medical insurance to be valid. 365 days in a year, 183 must be spent there. They bill your home province and pay the difference. And it covers motorcycle riding for travel or entertainment. Not for racing.

Just to clarify...you Aren't talking about travel insurance? I know that travel insurance can cover you for medical but if you live in Thailand all year then that doesn't work

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

The OP doesn't appear to include condo rental in his list of budget items.

A condo with swimming pool in Chiang Mai is about 9000 - 12,000 baht a month.Usually 2 months security deposit required as well.

If the OP moves out to the San Kamphaeng area, he can rent a room with ensuite and aircon for about 4000 baht a month, including internet. However, unless he has considerable fluency in Thai he won't meet play for pay girls out there. Or the other kind for that matter. Those rooms don't have cooking facilities.

Don't know why he's budgeting for a cleaning lady, it's not hard to keep a 36 sqm room clean by yourself.

A secondhand scooter for 15000 to 20000 baht will pay for itself in terms of rental within a year.A bike rented in Chiang Mai for 1800 baht/month will be clapped out.

At 20,000 baht per month the OP would be existing, not living. I''d say 40,000 baht is a minimum.

Is the OP aware he may not be able to get a Work Permit for his photography profession?

i purposely didn't put rent in this budget, because i've see about 30 to 50 rental listings a day. I'm on ddp property, Perfect homes, thailand-property, 2 or 3 chiang mai exclusive condo sites. and i talk to realtors on line.

i'm also on Thai cupid, thai flirt, and a few other thai dating sites, where i video chat and text thai girls on a regular on LINE.  

Thanks for the tip on the scooters, I've had issues finding used scooters online in Chiang mai. I've only seen them in bangkok..  

But again my Budget isn't 20k.. i was literally asking ya'll to tell me how much i should budget for entertainment. 

btw Thanks for telling me about the work permit, but I'm not going to be photography as a profession on there. Its for personal use.. 

Dirk,I think ,you are thinking too much,just come,bring all the money

you have,when it runs out ,return to the grindstone and earn more,

return to Thailand if you like it,its that simple.

regards worgeordie

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Dirk,I think ,you are thinking too much,just come,bring all the money

you have,when it runs out ,return to the grindstone and earn more,

return to Thailand if you like it,its that simple.

regards worgeordie

you know what! your right!!!!!

1 hour ago, dirkjones said:

you know what,  what does a the average date cost? what do locals do for fun? are they're concerts or comedy shows? parties? or what? I'm realizing i don't know what there as entertainment 

Cinema seat from just 120 Baht (sometimes cheaper on certain days of the week) and up to 500 Baht p/p for a sofa on the back row. Snacks and drinks might add another 100+ each.

Some cinemas have a "1st Class" deal, which includes a buffet, sofa seats and snacks for about 1,000 p/p.

Meal for two at one of the nicer chain restaurants (Sizzler, MK, etc) could come in at 600 to 1,000 - with no alcoholic drinks. Classy restaurants - well, you could easily blow your whole monthly budget on one date.

I have only visited Chiang Mai a couple of times, so I can't give specific recommendations, but I'm sure there will be plenty of cheaper places to eat/drink which are suitable for a date.

It's been a long time since I "dated":sad:, but unless things have changed, you will usually be expected to  pay for everything. "Going Dutch" is rarely an option.

Generally speaking, I think your budget for 6 months is a bit low. May be a good idea to keep an option open to return to the US earlier than planned. Or, plan for a 3 month stay with the option of staying longer if you still have any money left.

19 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

i'm also on Thai cupid, thai flirt, and a few other thai dating sites, where i video chat and text thai girls on a regular on LINE.  

I was going to ask for your reason for coming to CM in the first place, but this explains it.  Frankly, meeting girls face-to-face is the best way to go as you simply can't tell what someone is like until you meet them in person.  And even then, it will take you some time to figure out what the heck is really going on.  That's a whole another issue, but depending on who you actually end up with, your plans can change and your entire budget obliterated.  

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I was going to ask for your reason for coming to CM in the first place, but this explains it.  Frankly, meeting girls face-to-face is the best way to go as you simply can't tell what someone is like until you meet them in person.  And even then, it will take you some time to figure out what the heck is really going on.  That's a whole another issue, but depending on who you actually end up with, your plans can change and your entire budget obliterated.  

I'm coming to chiang mai because i want a higher quality of life, i'm tired of spending 2800 baht month for a 1 br. then having to buy furniture and spending 350 and 525 baht just to eat healthy i get  tired of that. i'm tired of spending 350 baht for a movie  ticket or spending 525baht for an average meal

Edited by dirkjones

16 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

i

Thanks for the tip on the scooters, I've had issues finding used scooters online in Chiang mai. I've only seen them in bangkok..  

But again my Budget isn't 20k.. i was literally asking ya'll to tell me how much i should budget for entertainment. 

Sounds like you have the entertainment girl-wise pretty well sewn up. I'm a tad envious.:smile: It's best to set boundaries with them after you've met face-to-face. Many girls think of a falang as an ATM. So asking about your entertainment budget is a bit like asking how long the piece of string is.Up to you.

There are sometimes ads for scooters on bahtsold. They are usually the more upmarket ones. What you need is a scooter with less than 20,000 km on the odometer. Hondas command a premium over Yamahas here, it's a fashion thing because IMHO Yamahas are just as good. Beware of Chinese SYM's, they are crap.

There is a large secondhand scooter yard at the Ruamchok market on the Phrae road just past the second ring road.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Sounds like you have the entertainment girl-wise pretty well sewn up. I'm a tad envious.:smile: It's best to set boundaries with them after you've met face-to-face. Many girls think of a falang as an ATM. So asking about your entertainment budget is a bit like asking how long the piece of string is.Up to you.

There are sometimes ads for scooters on bahtsold. They are usually the more upmarket ones. What you need is a scooter with less than 20,000 km on the odometer. Hondas command a premium over Yamahas here, it's a fashion thing because IMHO Yamahas are just as good. Beware of Chinese SYM's, they are crap.

There is a large secondhand scooter yard at the Ruamchok market on the Phrae road just past the second ring road.

Good luck!

thanks for the tips,  yea i've never dated outside of the states before. thanks for the used bike  tip 

9 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

I'm coming to chiang mai because i want a higher quality of life, i'm tired of spending 800 usd a month for a 1 br. then having to buy furniture and spending 10 and 15 usd just to eat healthy i get  tired of that. i'm tired of spending 350 baht for a movie  ticket or spending 525baht for an average meal

As a vegetarian, you will find vegetables and fruit in the markets cheap and plentiful. It gets even better when stuff like mangoes, pineapples and long beans are in season.

Eating out, I can get a three course lunch at Promenada for 120 baht. The Siripanna hotel has an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for 189 baht.

Movie tickets are about 120 baht. Not many English-speaking movies, however. You may want to consider loading up a 1-2 TB external hard drive with as many TV series and movies as you can muster. Modern TV's here will play direct from their USB socket.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

As a vegetarian, you will find vegetables and fruit in the markets cheap and plentiful. It gets even better when stuff like mangoes, pineapples and long beans are in season.

Eating out, I can get a three course lunch at Promenada for 120 baht. The Siripanna hotel has an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for 189 baht.

Movie tickets are about 120 baht. Not many English-speaking movies, however. You may want to consider loading up a 1-2 TB external hard drive with as many TV series and movies as you can muster. Modern TV's here will play direct from their USB socket.

thats some of the best news i've heard.. thanks lol.. that's sounds great.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just to clarify...you Aren't talking about travel insurance? I know that travel insurance can cover you for medical but if you live in Thailand all year then that doesn't work

OP coming for 6 months - hence my heads-up re: travel insurance

When I came here first time 15 years ago, got a resort for a week. Never been, knew no one. Rented a bike next day, found an apartment to rent by the month, with pool. Learned my way around, met some people, who introduced me to others. Learned - go here, don't go there. Buy this here, not there. Had a 'friend' write down the Thai characters for "For Sale" and "For Rent" Found a house to rent. Go slowly, take your time. Ask all the questions you want from N. America but as soon as you get here a lot of that will go out the window. Priorities change, as you will. Meet a girl ... you may be moving to Nakhon Nowhere !

3 hours ago, dirkjones said:

i've really should've asked is what do ya'll do for entertainment in Chiang mai.

Mainly sit behind a PC, log in to Thai Visa, and either post how smart I am compared to everyone else or just pick and nag at all the responses saying how stupid they are.... 

40 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Don't waste your time or luggage space. With a good internet connection there are websites (at no cost) where you can watch:

- Just about every TV Series known to man.

- Any worldwide sporting events live, even Pay-Per-View without and cost.

- All the current movies as well as old classics.

The Govt requires 65k a month for a Retirement extension, that wasnt pulled from thin air, so would be a good guideline.

Just make sure you have insurance. 1 spill on that bike you want to rent and you could be wiped out financially and stuck in s foriegn country with mounting debt. Always have insurance no matter how basic and enough behind you for a flight home if needed.

1 hour ago, dirkjones said:

I'm coming to Chiang mai. i'm coming with a savings.  The reason why i started with such a low number for entertainment is because i'm coming alone. and don't want to start spending out of boredom, i'm not coming for work., i'm not going to be working at all most likely.. If i did it would be online.. So even when i do start meeting friends majority are going to have a job i'm going to suspect. So i don't wanna spend  3 and 400 baht a day trying to stay busy. 

i figure i start with something low, and get advice and tips on a sensible budget  

Well, it sounds really as if you are talking about self control... and I would imagine if you have it at home in USA and are conscious of expenses, you will be here too... 

This may help. Since you have never been here, you will surely find it exciting just to be walking the streets. That will be a world of exercise and fascination for you... sure, you might want to sit somewhere and have an ice tea, but putting in fruit shakes and other fluids is part of life that should be easily affordable...

As to dates, from what I have seen, most Thai ladies are often happier with a bowl of noodle soup than an expensive steak dinner that they won't enjoy anyway... and you can fill time with teaching each other language... 

hope this helps. 

OP :

well i'm in america. 

fun is shooting pool, movies, bowling, grabbing lunch, painting,  swimming, taking a drive, ect. 

Well, I'm in Thailand. 

Fun is getting whacked with buddies, nailin' young hotties for a song, taking naps whenever and however long you want, complaining about the local Gomer mentality, littering without a care, poisoning annoying street dogs, etc. 

As to dates, from what I have seen, most Thai ladies are often happier with a bowl of noodle soup than an expensive steak dinner that they won't enjoy anyway... and you can fill time with teaching each other language... 

Yeah....right. This is exactly how it it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Trujillo
addition....

42 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Don't waste your time or luggage space. With a good internet connection there are websites (at no cost) where you can watch:

43 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I refer you to your previous post - obviously you are living the dream.

Just how much room do you think a 1 TB drive takes up in luggage?

OK, tell us how you access all these websites free. Prove how much smarter you are.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

The Govt requires 65k a month for a Retirement extension, that wasnt pulled from thin air, so would be a good guideline.

Just make sure you have insurance. 1 spill on that bike you want to rent and you could be wiped out financially and stuck in s foriegn country with mounting debt. Always have insurance no matter how basic and enough behind you for a flight home if needed.

will a good insurer really cover him on a bike here? but I agree insurance a must and I've only just started that myself 

Let me make this clear. All of you're comments been very helpful.

Finding out about the used bike market, was truly helpful

Seeing my laundry budget was grossly  to high. And rethinking  the cleaning lady was a big help. Still going to hire 1 but maybe 1 week  a month

I will certainly  raise my entertainment budget. Close to double. It.

Ideas where to get affordable vegetation food I thank y'all.

Movie prices thank y'all

Prices on a meal for 2 again thanks.

Insurance  tips were well received.

So many good tips and suggestions. Keep them coming 

9 hours ago, dirkjones said:

...is 5,250 a month enough just to have fun
ride around see the site, Go to the movies, maybe have a few dates, Do a few attraction. or do I need more?

As you said yourself, it's a question of life-style; i.e. around 1,200 baht a week (5,250/4.5).

Gasoline for transport – or other public-style transport (you don't state where you are going to stay) – probably 400+ baht a month.

A movie-ticket is around 160 baht, and invite a date will be some 300 baht + equal amount for popcorn and drinks and...

–you can ask for a Major Cineplex card that's collecting points from both tickets and popcorn, which can be changed to free movie tickets; Wednesdays used to be cheaper tickets from around 80-100 baht; however some cinemas with special features (3D, Imax, 4DX, Blue Ribbon) charge more, and also Opera-chairs are more expensive (but can be great together with a date).

A date – that's an extremely relative question; are you inviting out for dinner and/or..?

–I can imagine the monthly fun-allowance disappear with one date only; but as I say, it's extremely relative to expectations and life-style...:whistling:

Attractions: A few are free – apart from just enjoying the place, which is normally free – most will charge an entrance fee that might be higher for foreigners than Thais; 400-500 baht is not unusual.

But it's all down to what one can afford – you can have great fun for little money – some weeks spend less, then other weeks you cab have some of the otherwise unaffordable stuff. Wish you a happy time in Land-of-Smiles...:smile: