Army conscript killed for waking up late, says grieving mother

webfact

Army conscript killed for waking up late, says grieving mother
By THE NATION

b4bedb96d883f2db12a4b64941d176a1.jpeg

SURAT THANI: -- THE MOTHER of a conscript who was beaten to death at Vibhavadi Rangsit Military Camp in Surat Thani has said her son was punished because he woke up late, while the military is insisting that it will ensure justice in the case.

Heartbroken after her son’s death, Renu Mhodrakee said yesterday her family was waiting for justice for her son Private Yuthinan Boonniam, who had been punished severely leading to his death for a trivial offence.

“I have been told that my son was punished just because he woke up late and failed to attend the morning line-up. I have heard that he had a conflict with another soldier, but he was never in any trouble during his time in the service until now,” Renu said.

“My son was imprisoned on March 27, and then I met him again in the hospital on March 31 [Friday]. I really don’t know what happened and I can’t imagine what they did to my son during that time. I want justice for my son and I will not cremate his body until the case is concluded.”

She said she had previously met Yuthinan on March 16 when he appeared healthy and happy. He was due to complete his service in October and return home to Surat Thani’s Wiang Sa district.

Fourth Army Region commander Lt-General Piyawat Nakwanich said the Army had already set up a committee to investigate the case, adding that Yuthinan’s family would be properly compensated.

“Right now we are preparing the proper funeral for Private Yuthinan to satisfy his family and then we will investigate the offence in this case to determine the culpability of all suspects. I promise they will be punished properly based on criminal and military law,” Piyawat said.

Suspects already investigated 

He said all suspects in the case were being held by authorities, with police already having investigated them.

Pol Maj-General Apichart Bunsrirote, commander of Surat Thani provincial police, said the Army had brought some conscripts who had been detained at the military prison to be questioned, adding that more than 10 witnesses had already been interrogated.

Apichart added that police were also investigating a conflict between Surat Thani teenagers and Yuthinan, adding that surveillance cameras at the prison would be examined.

“Right now we cannot disclose all details about the case, but we promise that we are investigating the evidence and witnesses to ensure justice for all sides,” he said.

Maj-General Wichai Thassan-amontian, commander of the Military Circle 45, said some of the suspects in the case had already been punished and there was a committee to investigate violations of military rules.

Wichai said the Army would properly compensate the family according to official regulations. He added that life insurance and welfare compensation might not amount to a large sum of money because Yuthinan was not killed in action.

“This incident grieves some of his fellow draftees, but I am sure that their morale is still strong, and I would like to insist that military training in Vibhavadi Rangsit Millitary Camp is not violent,” he said.

Piyawat also said violent punishment at the military base was hard to control, likening it to the brawling of students, which was unpredictable.

“I emphasis that this incident is not linked to the military conscription and the Army commander-in-chief General Chalermchai Sitthisa-ard also has a clear policy to stop such violence. The Army promises that we take good care of every draftee,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311210

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-04

Disgraceful. A lot of big words from the military brass, i just hope they're not as hollow as per usual and that justice is swift and deservedly harsh.

Good on the mother for standing strong against this disgusting, rogue organization

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Piyawat also said violent punishment at the military base was hard to control, likening it to the brawling of students, which was unpredictable.

Obviously discipline is not one of the rules to be followed,

very hard to control 13 year olds when your only 15 years old in the mind.

R.I.P 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“This incident grieves some of his fellow draftees, but I am sure that their morale is still strong, and I would like to insist that military training in Vibhavadi Rangsit Millitary Camp is not violent,” he said.

So which is it?

Either it is violent in the camp or it isn't. 

Isnt time in the military supposed to instil discipline in youth, or at least that's what the hang 'me high brigade always seem to suggest. 

Edited by Bluespunk

3 hours ago, webfact said:

They compare themselves to brawling students yet they run the country

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Maj-General Wichai Thassan-amontian, commander of the Military Circle 45, said some of the suspects in the case had already been punished

A few life sentences dished out already, huh? Anything less is pathetic.

The family want justice, not some miserable and untrustworthy promises.

6 hours ago, fgmr said:

It would be nice to know just how many members commenting on this topic have actually served in an army?

3 years full time artillery national serviceman. We punished delinquency but not to beat conscript to death. No excuse and should be charged in the civilian court for murder.  

6 hours ago, fgmr said:

It would be nice to know just how many members commenting on this topic have actually served in an army?

Why?

Would that give an insight into why cowardly thugs can beat another man to death?

"said some of the witnesses suspects in the case had already been punished"

"violent punishment at the military base was hard to control" - military can't control it's own military base

"Yuthinan’s family would be properly compensated.We are preparing the proper funeral. I promise they will be punished properly" - this general is way too proper

The Army Commander-in-Chief said to blame him.  What punishment will he impose on himself? The honorable choice would be, at a minimum, to resign. As for the soldiers directly responsible, the should be tried in a military court for murder.  Neither will happen.  Vietnam Vet.  Army.

6 hours ago, fgmr said:

...and why would that be?

Because I haven't, being a conscientious objector!

Does that make me more or less qualified to see, that killing someone for oversleeping, is somehow wrong?!

2 hours ago, fgmr said:

Royal Navy. 1978-1985. Does that count?

I  can guarantee nobody was murdered in my intake for sleeping in!

Seen too many examples of this bullying for trivialities with young conscripts in the Thai armed forces.

6 hours ago, fgmr said:

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Why?

Would that give an insight into why cowardly thugs can beat another man to death?

It works both ways Bluespunk.

If you have served for any period in an army, you will understand that whilst the military's ultimate purpose is the controlled application of violence, that is done in a controlled, disciplined and targeted manner, at the behest of your political masters. There is no place for this sort of brutality, it serves no purpose in training or maintaining discipline, and if you rely on this sort of brutality to impose discipline you are likely to find it breaks down very quickly under the extreme stresses of combat.

If you haven't served in an army, some (and I'm not suggesting you are one) may labour under the misapprehension that all officers and NCOs are bullying thugs who glory in applying this sort of random violence, and regard it as a normal, maybe routine aspect of military life. They're not and it isn't

You certainly don't need to have served to understand just how wrong this is. Personally I would doubt the claims to have served of anyone tempted to claim that this was "robust tough training" that got out of hand

"Wichai said the Army would properly compensate the family according to official regulations. He added that life insurance and welfare compensation might not amount to a large sum of money because Yuthinan was not killed in action."

What a load of garbage either way he is dead At the time he was in the service of his country Show some respect He should get more than someone killed in 

action. This is a death that could have been avoided if proper human rights were followed

Why does the brass look for ways to wiggle out of responsibility rather than man up to what happened

This is part of a corrupt society 

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So which is it?

Either it is violent in the camp or it isn't. 

Isnt time in the military supposed to instil discipline in youth, or at least that's what the hang 'me high brigade always seem to suggest. 

Undoubtedly this camp can only be described as violent.  The evidence is clear.

There are those who wish to misuse their country's military to solve social problems such as "discipline in youth" but in most cases this is not the purpose of the military.  An important point is that ill-disciplined officers and NCOs will only ever produce ill-disciplined units which is what we appear to have here.

6 hours ago, fgmr said:

Not me, but I did serve 25 years boy and man in the Royal Air Force.

Even when I joined as a boy of 15 1/2 in January 1960 there was nothing like this going on that I knew of.

“Right now we cannot disclose all details about the case, but we promise that we are investigating the evidence and witnesses to ensure justice for all sides,” he said.

Now what the hell does that mean. The guilty can have a fair hearing, yes, but those who are guilty should face the consequences of justice. That statement sounds like a path to some 'get out' to me.

whether I am reading this story correctly or others are jumping in prematurely. FACT this young lad slept in and was absent from the morning parade, which does not show a self disciplined young man. PROBABILITY he like the rest of the conscripts were housed in billets, and I would think it not unusual that there were likely 15-20 in that billet, if so, an earlier comment about an alarm clock is totally irrelevant, so it would appear he was charged with over sleeping and failure to attend a compulsory parade, in which it seems as if he received a period of detention.

now the story takes a twist and I quote.

“My son was imprisoned on March 27, and then I met him again in the hospital on March 31 [Friday]. I really don’t know what happened and I can’t imagine what they did to my son during that time. I want justice for my son and I will not cremate his body until the case is concluded.

The he report then goes on to mention that this young lad was having issues with the local youngsters, but it doesn't mention whether he was Imprisoned in a military establishment or civilian, and that's where it gets complicated. It reads he had issues with civilians who may have carried out the crime, and then the responsibility  must lay with the Prison wardens and not the military as most on here are blamiing. And yes I am proudly an ex serviceman