Two Surin children run over by truck on their way to earn some pocket money

webfact

16 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

ha ha .... nothing..... or anything anyone wants it to mean.  :saai:

What part of the differences between 1st world countries and 3rd world countries do you not understand?

Edited by lvr181
Correction

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a number of motorcycles in that video, some with more that two people, I saw only one helmet being worn in the entire video. I have been here 14 years and the safety has never improved in all that time. Sometimes I think I might be over protective to my two sons but then I think it's needed.

33 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

What part of the differences between 1st world countries and 3rd world countries do you not understand?

A third world country is one that is aligned with neither Nato nor the Communist Bloc, what part of that do you not understand!

1 hour ago, Essaybloke said:

Yeah, just what a pair of grieving parents needs. Do you have any empathy at all?

The parents knowingly put their kids in danger by allowing them to ride the bike. They know it is illegal, they know it is dangerous, but they allowed it anyway. This takes place thousands of times a day all over the country, Parents roll the dice and sometimes they get lucky and the kid comes home alive. Sometimes they lose and the kid doesn't. So no, no empathy at all. They should be jailed for knowingly putting their kids in danger. What kind of parent does that. Only one who is irresponsible and clearly isn't qualified to be a parent in the first place. I feel for the lorry driver, not the parents.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The parents knowingly put their kids in danger by allowing them to ride the bike. They know it is illegal, they know it is dangerous, but they allowed it anyway. This takes place thousands of times a day all over the country, Parents roll the dice and sometimes they get lucky and the kid comes home alive. Sometimes they lose and the kid doesn't. So no, no empathy at all. They should be jailed for knowingly putting their kids in danger. What kind of parent does that. Only one who is irresponsible and clearly isn't qualified to be a parent in the first place. I feel for the lorry driver, not the parents.

If only they had you to judge their qualifications for parenthood before they got down to a bit of jiggy-jig 11 years ago!  When we get behind the wheel, we all roll the dice. Shit happens. For all you know, the kid driving that vehicle may have 3 or 4 years experience behind him. But- shit happens! Let me know when you intend popping 'round to admonish the parents in their grief. I'd love to see the satisfaction they receive from the benefit of your wisdom!

1 minute ago, Essaybloke said:

If only they had you to judge their qualifications for parenthood before they got down to a bit of jiggy-jig 11 years ago!  When we get behind the wheel, we all roll the dice. Shit happens. For all you know, the kid driving that vehicle may have 3 or 4 years experience behind him. But- shit happens! Let me know when you intend popping 'round to admonish the parents in their grief. I'd love to see the satisfaction they receive from the benefit of your wisdom!

There ARE no qualifications to be a parent, unlike for example, working in 7-11. It's a strange world. But I stand by what I wrote. The parents were irresponsible. If you don't agree then I hope you don't have any kids of your own to put in danger.

1 hour ago, luis888 said:

Very sad, 2 young lives lost. I also feel for the truck driver, assuming that he was driving within the speed limit, this will haunt him for probably the rest of his life, I know it would me. RIP

Indeed! For the driver, I can think of no more horrific a sight before my eyes, than two young kids crashing in front of me, knowing I could not stop.

I suspect that IS going to haunt him for a very long time.

I see a few posts focused on the parents. No, it isn't smart to let kids use motorbikes, but millions of them do it anyway. All parents make mistakes.

I am sure they are utterly devastated and they probably are blaming themselves, but for me, my heart goes out to them at this time anyway.

Edited by darksidedog
Typo

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There ARE no qualifications to be a parent, unlike for example, working in 7-11. It's a strange world. But I stand by what I wrote. The parents were irresponsible. If you don't agree then I hope you don't have any kids of your own to put in danger.

Well yes I agree, there are no qualifications to be a parent, beyond the physical. But you were the one who made the comment about being qualified to be a parent- Only one who is irresponsible and clearly isn't qualified to be a parent in the first place. I put my good driving and 'non-stupidity' at age 16 because I was driving when I was 9 years old. Even the most experienced drivers get killed due to mechanical failure, 'bad luck', a moment's inattention etc. And do let me know when you do pop over to give those wicked parents a piece of your mind.

The responsibility for this is shared between the parents and the police. The parents have to ensure that their kids obey the law and the police have to enforce the existing laws. Of the two I'd say that Thai parents shoulder most of the blame, they know the kids can get away with it due to lazy policing, so they let their kids do it. But don't the parents feel any sense of responsibility? I suppose it comes under the common sense umbrella, that commodity that most Thais don't seem to possess.

RIP those two little boys, let down by their parents and the grossly inadequate system.

Cue the Thai-bashing policemen.

Edited by jesimps

More public works probably done to the usual standards where they pose a direct danger to road users. How many warning signs are simply not erected, or dimly lit or if at all, work holes left uncovered, uneven road surfaces, steel rebar expose waiting to impale the next victim? Its  a massive "worse than third world quality couldn't care less problem" and the victims jolted off their bike just trying to sell a chicken to get a few Baht. Absolutely preventable and absolutely tragic. 

The biggest problem as I see it is that the police are the biggest underminers of the law in this country, I have no doubt that they will allow there own 10 or 12 year old children to ride bikes on the highway obviously with out licences or insurance and thereby educating these children to be uncaring of the law.

How many times have we all seen cops riding down the wrong side of the road and how many ride without helmets or cross the road at traffic lights in front of oncoming vehicles instead of waiting until the road is clear.

we can all go on and on about these traffic violations perpetrated by those who should know better but until they themselves are brought before the beak and properly dealt with it will not stop, and that will never happen because WHO will prosecute the police?

sadly more of these children will die because common sense and parental control does not exist here any more than the rule of law.

RIP you two youngsters, you paid with your lives because nobody had the balls to show you the error of your ways, or impart to you the dangers therein.

1 hour ago, Essaybloke said:

Well yes I agree, there are no qualifications to be a parent, beyond the physical. But you were the one who made the comment about being qualified to be a parent- Only one who is irresponsible and clearly isn't qualified to be a parent in the first place. I put my good driving and 'non-stupidity' at age 16 because I was driving when I was 9 years old. Even the most experienced drivers get killed due to mechanical failure, 'bad luck', a moment's inattention etc. And do let me know when you do pop over to give those wicked parents a piece of your mind.

'............because I was driving when I was 9 years old."

If you're talking about yourself driving on public roads, then that in itself was stupidity on your part and irresponsible of your parents or guardians if they allowed it. You could be excused because you were only 9 yoa and you expect a certain amount of stupidity from kids of that age, but not from adults.

"Even the most experienced drivers get killed due to mechanical failure, 'bad luck', a moment's inattention etc."

That's obvious, but equally obvious is that if young and inexperienced kids are driving/riding around on the roads then they're going to be involved in far more accidents than adults. Stands to reason. Also stands to reason that their parents should be preventing them from doing this. 

Obviously, a lot of Thai parents have the same attitude as you.

This is really sad to see this kid laying there crushed in the street.

Wish they did not post pics like this.

Its bad enough reading about it.

It is too bad they revoked the d day crack down. 

It was a start.

But i guess the people protested so its on them.

and the parents would have been bragging how their under age kids can ride the motor bike, they are idiots, same with the father of the 12 year old girl that was driving herself to school everyday, he put up a video bragging about her too,. These parents need to be fined and locked up for allowing the kids to do it but the police have to get out on the roads and start pulling them over and confiscating the cars/bikes and issuing big fines, this is beyond a joke. buy them a bicycle if they have to travel around, thats all we had as kids and we would ride bloody miles on them  to school everyday as well all over the country, trouble is kids here are lazy like their parents

Every time there is a video like  this we get all the R.I.P'S, the when will the parents ever learn, when will the police do anything.

And we all know the answer. Which is never. It doesn't matter, no one cares. 25,000 road deaths a year, 2 more is nothing.

Just get back to doing what you do and don't worry about it.

R.I:P  

Unfortunately you can't change the mindset of Thai families.  Buddha is also a part of this culture.  

"No helmets today because everything is going to be fine" , "my son is 12 and he is protected , it will be another fine day" until tragic happens.  Then there will be a funeral and the loss will be "accepted" , and back to normal rural life again . Sure the family will suffer and hopefully have other kids that will grow up and take care of them when they get old.  

Rinse and repeat , it's just crazy and unacceptable for my western thinking. But all I can say is R.I.P.   

Edited by balo

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

11 and 12 on a motorbike & sidecar, accident waiting to happen,

the parents should be held to account,although they should be

suffering enough as it is. RIP.

regards Worgeordie

my thoughts exactly.RIP

Poor young boys. Government at fault to allow 11&12yr olds drive anywhere without being of age to drive. Parents should be in jail for letting them drive. But it will be the road that is found guilty for being un-even and causing an accident. Not the first nor the  last tragic avoidable accident. How sad, RIP

2 hours ago, smew said:

Poor young boys. Government at fault to allow 11&12yr olds drive anywhere without being of age to drive. Parents should be in jail for letting them drive. But it will be the road that is found guilty for being un-even and causing an accident. Not the first nor the  last tragic avoidable accident. How sad, RIP

Why is it the fault of the government, which has already passed a law making it illegal to drive at that age? The blame lays with the parents for letting them do it and the police for everlastingly never doing their job and stopping such things when they see it happening.