How big is your Thai-based fridge?

kunfish

No idea how people manage with small fridges....  have 2........... 1x 33 Q the other 31 Q + a big chest Freezer.....  bought 2 x 31 Q Panasonic when arriving here early  2004.   here is no different than any other places I have lived in my life, way out in the sticks. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I've had the same medium sized fridge (about 5' tall with separate main and freezer compartments) now for nearly 13 years. Bought it back in '04 when I rented my first apartment. Nice freezer compartment on top, big enough to hold a couple dozen packages of meat, a couple ice cube trays and some tupperware containers plus some stuff in the door. The main compartment has more than enough room to hold everything I need to last a week or more. 

Thought about getting a bigger one but then I'd just be storing more food that I'd end up tossing out because I could fit more in it than I could eat.

A lot of the big stores have a decent selection of fridges, from little "bar" fridges up to the huge double door types. Some places even have stand alone "chest" freezers. Not going to look at those until I move up country and buy/set up a back up generator. I've seen people lose freezers full of meat in Canada due to power outages and the power is a lot more reliable back there.

Fridges "upcountry" aren't as common as many people simply shop for what they need each day, and leave the leftovers sitting outside with a cover over them to keep the flies off. Fridges also require electricity and that costs money ! The g/f wants to buy a small one for her mother, one of those ones about 1 meter high with a single door and little freezer compartment inside. Big enough to keep some fruit and veggies and a couple ice cube trays. Local shop sells them for around 1,400 baht while the same size in the "big" stores go for 6,000.

Her mom's home has never had a fridge, nor has her grandma's home or her mom's boyfriend. I laughed that if we bought her a fridge everyone in her village would think she was suddenly "hi so" !

Agree, a few years back a buddy did buy fridge, size as mentioned for his mil.  next visit fridge switched off, now just a storage cupboard. 

He asked if if broke down. No.  

Funny you should mention that, but the refrigerators  are of similar size with the exception of  the specialty versions. I haven't seen a specialty fridge in Thailand. Maybe they are here, but I don't know. 
In the USA and  Germany, the trend is towards morbid obesity. I believe that the Germans came up with popular double sized unit that is hydraulic assisted to allow for easier access of the corpse.  They also  make it so that it can be tilted to a gurney and it comes with a metal shelf that can be  attached to  pulley hooks to allow  the staff to load and unload the bodies without injury, or dropping the  corpse.  I am surprised that this topic is of interest.

Thanks, the topic is interesting enough to get your attention and spend time to respond.

Refrigeration is an important topic of discussion in terms of lifestyle, needs, and the fact that this is a hot place where spoilage is faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, kunfish said:

Was surprising how small the fridges are here. Don't seem useful at least from a USA perspective.

Refrigerators come in all sizes whether you're in the US or Thailand.  

What  is the "USA perspective on refrigerators?" I can almost guarantee you I've been an American longer than you have and I've never heard of a shared nationalistic perspective on refrigerators.

If you want a big refrigerator, rent a bigger more expensive place to live. If you own your own place, go to a store that sells refrigerators and ask for a big one. The refrigerator I have is about as big as any I ever had in the US. If I had been aware of the USA perspective on refrigerators, I would have bought an even bigger one. Now I feel like I've let everyone in America down. I have a big refrigerator, but if I tried harder, I could have had an even bigger one. This is so humiliating.

What  is the "USA perspective on refrigerators?" I can almost guarantee you I've been an American longer than you have and I've never heard of a shared nationalistic perspective on refrigerators.

If you want a big refrigerator, rent a bigger more expensive place to live. If you own your own place, go to a store that sells refrigerators and ask for a big one. The refrigerator I have is about as big as any I ever had in the US. If I had been aware of the USA perspective on refrigerators, I would have bought an even bigger one. Now I feel like I've let everyone in America down. I have a big refrigerator, but if I tried harder, I could have had an even bigger one. This is so humiliating.

I have to disagree. in Thailand, the fridges marketed for most people are small, like apartment size fridges in America (18 CF)

Americans tend to buy around 25-30 CF fridges. And many tend to have large freezers. I'd prefer to have a separate fridge and have a chest freezer, myself.

Took a bit of digging around online to find a full-sized fridge in Thailand.

Local conditions, culture, habits affect what people like and buy in their home countries (in general, like everything else)

Long story short, people in Thailand buy small fridges (relatively speaking) as they seem to go out to get food more often.

Good discussion here. It's not like we all have the opportunity to go do surveys and go into people's homes and ask them what they use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What weird is about fridges in Thailand is that apparently white color fridges only come in a super small model or a super big American model.a standard size height 180cm white color fridge with freezer section underneath is non existing in Tvailand ..But in black red silver colors they are and i still wonder why white been excluded?

Lower freezer would be newer generation equipment that is often locally made and most people these days I believe prefer the more expensive SS or gloss black exterior to the old 'white box' cost point rusting models of yesteryear.  

Lower freezer would be newer generation equipment that is often locally made and most people these days I believe prefer the more expensive SS or gloss black exterior to the old 'white box' cost point rusting models of yesteryear.  

Lower freezer is the way to go. Most of the time you are reaching for items in non freezer section.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

So why only topmodels huge sizes of 30,000 bht and more do come in white?and table models till 8000 bht in white.

Because they are often older large size units and not made locally or for local conditions - they still have a market in USA and such where supersize is still a mantra.  My checking of Samsung a few years ago found 4 ranges of units made by them for specific areas of the world - with the highest capacity for cooling made for this area - so for me a good reason to buy units made for local conditions - which does not include the huge models.

As for the smaller units they are low cost and continue to be made as they have been for the most part - and white was the norm..  

1 hour ago, kunfish said:

I have to disagree. in Thailand, the fridges marketed for most people are small, like apartment size fridges in America (18 CF)

They market what most people are willing to buy. Why would they carry massive stocks of merchandise that doesn't sell? 

Most Thais prefer fresh food over things that have been frozen and then defrosted and many prefer buying prepared food from vendors or in markets. 

If you check out places like PowerBuy or Num Chai, they have large refrigerators available. I really don't see what the problem is. If you want a big fridge you can get one. If you want everyone in Thailand to adopt the American view that bigger is always better and food that's been frozen for months is somehow better than fresh, I don't see that happening.

like apartment size fridges in America

Well then the apartment dwellers of America perspective on refrigerators obviously isn't that different from that of Thais.

Well then the apartment dwellers of America perspective on refrigerators obviously isn't that different from that of Thais.

No harm in asking people what they use based on local conditions. Obviously most people use smaller ones.

We use an apartment sized fridge because we live in our mother in law unit in our house.

I don't necessarily come to the forums for direct answers one could find online in terms of products and prices but do those things up front.

It's nice to bring up a topic and have human interaction and learn something new.

For specific info I can just ask my wife my in country source for the low down.

Ive leaned a lot on this thread, among others. It's interesting.

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes what a revolting situation this is. Of more interest to me is where I can buy Jumbo size shorts in Chiang Mai. 

3 hours ago, kunfish said:

Americans tend to buy around 25-30 CF fridges. And many tend to have large freezers. I'd prefer to have a separate fridge and have a chest freezer, myself.

Germans who lived in the U.S. and now in Thailand tend to have more fridge and freezer space :smile:

we have two 700L fridge/freezers, two 300L fridge/freezers, a 420L chest freezer and a rather small fridge (hotel minibar size) for medicaments. total capacity 85cf.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

Germans who lived in the U.S. and now in Thailand tend to have more fridge and freezer space :smile:

we have two 700L fridge/freezers, two 300L fridge/freezers, a 420L chest freezer and a rather small fridge (hotel minibar size) for medicaments. total capacity 85cf.

U do realize that there are expats here who are renting rooms the same size as your 5 fridges together?.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Of more interest to me is where I can buy Jumbo size shorts in Chiang Mai. 

Yes, I was just in Central Festival on the beach in Pattaya, which I assume wants to pull in tourists.

I can usually get by with a  L or XL for things like tee shirts, briefs etc but even the supposedly American branded clothes there sized XL, XXL or XXXL would be snug on an anorexic child.

I guess I'm looking at it all with a USA perspective on clothing.

Just now, Suradit69 said:

Yes, I was just in Central Festival on the beach in Pattaya, which I assume wants to pull in tourists.

I can usually get by with a  L or XL for things like tee shirts, briefs etc but even the supposedly American branded clothes there sized XL, XXL or XXXL would be snug on an anorexic child.

I guess I'm looking at it all with a USA perspective on clothing.

I hear you. I ordered some XL on EBay and ended up giving them to my slim G/F