How big is your Thai-based fridge?

kunfish

I'm used to 25+ cubic foot fridges in the USA. Here in Thailand they are typically a lot smaller.

Did you go from big to small fridge based on the way things are here buying fresh? I guess if at Macro you'd want a separate chest freezer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy a big fridge if you want but yes I generally shop more often here because I don't have to rely on supermarkets for everything. I can pop out to the street vendor and grab some veg or fruit more often so the fridge can be smaller. Good for cold drinks, yogurt, keeping leftovers, etc.

We have a 2 door shop fridge, like they have in 7-11, plenty of space,

but we have had it for 8 years and I think it uses a lot of electricity now,

needed something large and at the time,this fit the bill, 

regards worgeordie

Brilliant topic!!!![emoji23]
How big is ya washing machine by the way?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Was surprising how small the fridges are here. Don't seem useful at least from a USA perspective. Suppose people shop more often but where do they find the time if they work and fight rush hour and have long hours.

Or people eat out often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also have 3 - likewise a biggish one in the kitchen for food, fruit and veg with a bottom freezer section. Smaller one in the living room which is drinks, yogurts, that kind of stuff and a smaller one still up the fourth floor, save me having to go all the way to the ground floor for a beer. 

There's meat, fish, fruit and veg sellers all in walking distance, plus any number of food stalls, little restaurants, so we don't keep a huge inventory. We also eat out a lot. Don't need a humongous American style fridge, though I've seen them in Powerbuy; well they look like four door, two metre high, drink dispensing monsters to me.

Edited by Stocky

Expect you may be talking apartments - we have extended family and prepare our one meals so have 3 units in the 18-20cf range (which are reasonable priced) and your can easily buy larger units if you want to spend the extra money for them.

one small one (5/6.000 thb) with small freezer comp. would suffice for me , my wife and 2 children as we buy fresh food everyday , and go to market 2 times a week...  the food my wife has cooked is eaten the same day... and we buy ice cubes everyday

yes maybe necessary  only when  we buy few kilos pork from the neighbors , or chicken wings/breasts from tesco . 

Ours is ~15 cubic feet.  Pretty nice - 6300 baht at lotus last year.  A floor model with a great discount.  It's Panasonic with a lower freezer drawer style.  Back home we had a 25 cubic foot side by side.  Now that we've gotten rid of the kids we've downsized to 18.  Found a decent one on sale for $499.  The ones here are nicer, plus the inverter setup that you don't see in the states.  We still split our time between here and the states.

Funny you should mention that, but the refrigerators  are of similar size with the exception of  the specialty versions. I haven't seen a specialty fridge in Thailand. Maybe they are here, but I don't know. 

In the USA and  Germany, the trend is towards morbid obesity. I believe that the Germans came up with popular double sized unit that is hydraulic assisted to allow for easier access of the corpse.  They also  make it so that it can be tilted to a gurney and it comes with a metal shelf that can be  attached to  pulley hooks to allow  the staff to load and unload the bodies without injury, or dropping the  corpse.  I am surprised that this topic is of interest.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Have 3 - one for food - with bottom freezer, one for fruit and veg, one for drinks.

Surely a bottom freezer is a bit over the top? Why not just sit on a bucket of ice like the rest of us?

Buy a 2 door fridge  , they sell them from 9000 and up.   The smaller ones are not reliable and you need to defrost all the time. 

Edited by balo

We have 2...

The one in the kitchen is about 15 cf & holds household food & drink along with usually 3-4 frozen loaves of sourdough and manages well enough for a family of 4....

The 2nd is located in a open designed side-exercise-bar room next to the (disconnected from kitchen) formal dining room & is 11 cf....It holds the social drinks, sodas, ice, + food overflow if entertaining.... 

Handy to have as the house design, while pleasing, spread out & functional, meanders....Plenty of space but fridges - although not really that far apart are really in 2 completely separated areas of the house.....Probably the reason a few have more than one....

We have 2. The one is around 25 or 26CF side by side and a small fridge for drinks yogurt etc. 

Size of the fridge has nothing to do with how often we shop. My wife happens by the fresh market daily. It's the convenience of having the additional room.

13 hours ago, kunfish said:

Was surprising how small the fridges are here. Don't seem useful at least from a USA perspective. Suppose people shop more often but where do they find the time if they work and fight rush hour and have long hours.

Or people eat out often.

Why should you even compare with the USA? 

I've had the same medium sized fridge (about 5' tall with separate main and freezer compartments) now for nearly 13 years. Bought it back in '04 when I rented my first apartment. Nice freezer compartment on top, big enough to hold a couple dozen packages of meat, a couple ice cube trays and some tupperware containers plus some stuff in the door. The main compartment has more than enough room to hold everything I need to last a week or more. 

Thought about getting a bigger one but then I'd just be storing more food that I'd end up tossing out because I could fit more in it than I could eat.

A lot of the big stores have a decent selection of fridges, from little "bar" fridges up to the huge double door types. Some places even have stand alone "chest" freezers. Not going to look at those until I move up country and buy/set up a back up generator. I've seen people lose freezers full of meat in Canada due to power outages and the power is a lot more reliable back there.

Fridges "upcountry" aren't as common as many people simply shop for what they need each day, and leave the leftovers sitting outside with a cover over them to keep the flies off. Fridges also require electricity and that costs money ! The g/f wants to buy a small one for her mother, one of those ones about 1 meter high with a single door and little freezer compartment inside. Big enough to keep some fruit and veggies and a couple ice cube trays. Local shop sells them for around 1,400 baht while the same size in the "big" stores go for 6,000.

Her mom's home has never had a fridge, nor has her grandma's home or her mom's boyfriend. I laughed that if we bought her a fridge everyone in her village would think she was suddenly "hi so" !

Why should you even compare with the USA? 

Point of reference. We only shop for food once a week so a large fridge is useful. Some things like milk and eggs and cheese we pick up once a month. The stuff adds up in fridge. Nice to have the room to load up.

On our trip here we use wife's very small fridge for ice and bottle water and leftovers. That is it since we have been eating out a lot.