Two day midweek umbrella ban and no food as Pattaya beaches "returned to tourists"

webfact

Wow--in the photo that beach looks incredibly ugly. It's more like what I envision some Russian beach on the Black Sea. I'm not a beach person but when I do select a tropical beach, it should reflect my notion of unspoiled tropical paradise as much as possible--something like Bora Bora without the hotel cabins, or the many uninhabited coves you can find anywhere from Hawaii to the Virgin Islands and beyond.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Wow--in the photo that beach looks incredibly ugly. It's more like what I envision some Russian beach on the Black Sea. I'm not a beach person but when I do select a tropical beach, it should reflect my notion of unspoiled tropical paradise as much as possible--something like Bora Bora without the hotel cabins, or the many uninhabited coves you can find anywhere from Hawaii to the Virgin Islands and beyond.

u want an empty beach no problem u can absorb your skin cancer at the Na Jomtien beach 15 minutes further down.Have a sunny day?

You will love it nothing there only you and the sand and the sun.

Pattaya  is  what  I  has  always been  since the 60s.  Sin  City!  I know that in my life time  I can go there

for relaxation and drinks, and adult entertainment.  The  local  authorities  can  and  will screw  things  up

for  a  while,  then  eventually,  some  will come  to  their senses  and  change  things  again. 

Just  be  patient.

Geezer

I live in Florida, U.S.A.  We, like parts of Thailand, depend on tourist dollars.  This makes us a service-oriented culture, and we don't mind at all.  We gladly share our beaches and sun for the money brought into our economy.  We understand that the more enjoyable and convenient it is for the tourist, the more likely they are to extend their visit, or at least return again.  There are a few simple guidelines we follow to keep a smile on the faces of all tourists.  

1.  We understand that many visitors come from the more Northern Latitudes.  They are either unaware or unprepared, for the dangers involved with exposure to the heat and burning rays of the sun.  Hotel pamphlets, radio ads, and various other means promote the importance of sunscreen and the dangers of overexposure to the sun.  

2.  Cabana (umbrella) vendors are licensed and controlled. Children are especially susceptible to sunburn and on duty, beach patrol is constantly on the lookout for anyone who may be suffering from overexposure.  The thought of telling tourist they must suffer two days a week without the protection of shade has never even been entertained.  There are trash receptacles strategically placed up and down the beach with signs reminding visitors that littering is a finable offense.  This seems to work very well, leaving only a minor cleanup effort for the daily beach crew.

3. Understanding that tourist will require food and drink have led to the licensing of vendors for this purpose.  They may sell their products from carts located along the edge of the beach but are not allowed to "troll" the beach or approach tourist in order to sell their goods.  The tourist must come to the cart.

There is more, but it's really just a matter of respecting each side's needs and desires and then finding a way to meet them.

15 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Agree. Don't see this as an improvement. I don't go to the beach that often anymore, but if I did I would only do it when there were beach chairs and food & drink, etc available.

Again I too am no longer much of a Beach fan, but when I holidayed here, having some Penang Pork with fried rice, and a cold beer, then a nap near sunset were much of my pleasure there..

I understand that Pattaya Beach has become rat infested and something needs to be done, but surely this doesn't attract the tourists.

As a tourist I thought the highlights of Pattaya were the beaches with ample seating and food being brought to you.

Then in the evenings the carts on the street selling food.

Those were the main non sex related things pattaya had going for it.

I'm not sure they want tourists anymore.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I never said the Jet Skis and Boats made the water brown. That comes from all the garbage and sewage.

Jet skis and boats only leave that oily film on top, from the diesel, that makes your skin itch.

Would the jet ski's and the boats not have an egg beater effect on the affluent??

Why not section off a few small areas with no loungers allowed at all anytime...? (For the cheap-Charlies & those who prefer "natural beaches").  Allow people to provide their own towels or chairs & umbrellas, or to rent an umbrella from one of the neighbouring "lounger areas". 

TBH, despite what you might think from some of the comments on these forums, most people do actually prefer to have somewhere ready set-up, so perhaps only need about 10% clear area.

The areas with ready set-up loungers & shades could be alternated with some cleared on Wednesdays, and the rest cleared on the other day, to allow cleaning, etc.  At least people who do want to visit will have somewhere to sit any day of the week.

Sadly from what I've observed living here for 10+ years, good compromise ideas are not necessarily the most desirable..!

As to the vendors, I agree that most of them leave you in peace after a polite "mai ow krap", but the occasional knob-head deliberately stands casting a shadow, or even taps you somewhere on your body. although these usually respond to a slightly polite phrase.......

This is really odd.  Being able to relax on a lounger with your toes in the sand under a shaded umbrella and sipping a drink or nibbling something while enjoying the warm air.  This is a popular (often advertised) way to enjoy a beach.  And they want to end that?

That was one of the high points of Pattaya.  If it turns into those 'European' style beaches where everyone throws their towels and gear in haphazard ways that you can't even walk anywhere, and are all crowded together -- i'm not sure that is an improvement.

20 hours ago, CliffH said:

Things for the visitor to do in Pattaya on Wednesdays and Thursdays....

1)  Sit on the beach where there is virtually no shade and get fried

2)  Walk aimlessly around shopping malls

3)  Sit in a bar and get drunk

4)  Sit in the hotel room

Is there anything else you can do in Pattaya?

Find true love so that you no longer need to sit on the beach alone and you'll walk around the malls with purpose and you can hold hands in the bar while getting drunk and then do everything aside from sitting in the hotel room and then fly home with sordid memories with which you can bore your friends while showing them an endless loop of blurred pix on your phone that you have no memory of taking.

Edited by Suradit69

20 hours ago, CliffH said:

Things for the visitor to do in Pattaya on Wednesdays and Thursdays....

1)  Sit on the beach where there is virtually no shade and get fried

2)  Walk aimlessly around shopping malls

3)  Sit in a bar and get drunk

4)  Sit in the hotel room

Is there anything else you can do in Pattaya?

5) Stop whining, get your ass down the beach and help with the cleanup.

I can maybe understand the sense in these propositions if the beaches were still beautiful and the sea water crystal clear, such that removal of the umbrellas etc would result in a 'paradise' beach.

But this is not the case.  The beaches are already trashed and the sea is full of sh*t.  The authorities should be realistic and understand that most people have no desire to sit on the sand and swim in the sewage - they want to sit and relax in a deckchair, with an umbrella for shade, and a table loaded with beer and food.

2. There will be a "drawing of straws" each year to decide who gets to set up in which location. This will be held just once annually.

so each year the drawing of straws, and it will only be annually, Got It.

Sounds like chinese early morning working practices you can go to pat but not sit on the beach on Wednesdays and Thursdays, you cannot eat while sat on the beach but you can fry in the sun and step on a turd when entering the sea, a real family resort then. I hear booking in Spain and V&C are going through the roof I wonder why? going on holiday after working your nuts off all year is something tourists look forward to for 50 weeks a year, get there and find these rules and next year I will not be going back to that prison as all I want to do is relax on the beach but not end up in hospital with sunburn

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Sounds like chinese early morning working practices you can go to pat but not sit on the beach on Wednesdays and Thursdays, you cannot eat while sat on the beach but you can fry in the sun and step on a turd when entering the sea, a real family resort then. I hear booking in Spain and V&C are going through the roof I wonder why? going on holiday after working your nuts off all year is something tourists look forward to for 50 weeks a year, get there and find these rules and next year I will not be going back to that prison as all I want to do is relax on the beach but not end up in hospital with sunburn

Yea you work 50 weeks out of a year....You come to Pattaya to relax 

for 2 weeks...But 4 days out of 2 weeks the beach is closed

because ???........ 

After working in a office 50 weeks your as white as a ghost, but by all

means feel free to lay on the sand and get some sun,while burning

to a crisp.....

Welcome to Pattaya....

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

... - they want to sit and relax in a deckchair, with an umbrella for shade, and a table loaded with beer and food. ...

Not if they are Indians or Russians they don't. Cheap buggers are pretty much BYOB which isn't too surprising when you see the markup these chair sellers levy on beer and food brought in from a nearby restaurant.

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Yea you work 50 weeks out of a year....You come to Pattaya to relax 

for 2 weeks...But 4 days out of 2 weeks the beach is closed

because ???........ 

After working in a office 50 weeks your as white as a ghost, but by all

means feel free to lay on the sand and get some sun,while burning

to a crisp.....

Welcome to Pattaya....

Take the boat to Koh Larn...if you only have two weeks

dont spend them on the dirty beach and that filthy dirty 

water.  Beach is clean and the ocean water is very clean

on the Island.   40 minutes from the filth of Pattaya Beaxh.

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

and when do they plan to finish the north end..its now just a squatters shanty town...its getting harder and harder to tell people I live in pattaya..

And dont forget that sorry construction trailer trash- town- mess at South end. Is that place just being accepted  as status quo now ?????

And about the topic : There are better things to complain about around here  besides the  beach. ( with exception of the mess at North and South ends)

You can go to Ko Larn or Na Jomtien. And at high tide the main Pattaya bay beach isnt all that bad , with or without umbrellas. At the least its nice to be on the water. 

Edited by morrobay

On 06/04/2017 at 9:43 AM, billrose said:

I thought April fool's day was last week!

Pattaya is dying, and this will only make it's demise come sooner.

Dying on its proverbial backside and some clown comes up with this latest bullshight for christ sake so now on days you can sit you have nowhere to put your book, your towel, a drink you purchased, your phone the list is endless because no table.

Are these people at city hall deliberately knocking out more and more people encouraging them to go to other countries because they are succeeding superbly.

Cretins....

Spent the day (Saturday, April 6th) in Pattaya on the beach. The water was filthy, the jet skis are way out of hand speeding around much too close to the swimmers and the Police are no where to be found. The good part was the chair, umbrella and the cold beer being served. I have an idea. What about placing a Police booth every kilometer right on the beach to help control the out of control jet ski operators and their customers. Parents had to take their children out of the water today when a couple of jerks rented a jet ski and were wild with it too close to the shore and swimmers with no one to stop them. Where the hell are the authorities. One other thing a Saturday weekend and Pattaya was a literal ghost town.