April 11 D-Day on passenger vans

webfact

April 11 D-Day on passenger vans

IMG_0371.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department will on Tuesday start cracking down on passenger vans which do not observe the 13-seat regulation.

Mr Sanit Promwong, the department head, said over the weekend that, during the initial stage of the crackdown, violating passenger vans would be fined 500 baht each, but the fine would be increased to a maximum of 5,000 baht tentatively in June when the regulation will be strictly enforced without reprieve.

Besides fines, the department will consider other penalties against the violators and these include suspension of driving licenses, suspension of operating licenses of up to six months or rejecting the issuance of travelling logbooks.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/april-11-d-day-passenger-vans/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-10

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Besides fines, the department will consider other penalties against the violators

The law is particularly unclear, government departments considering? Obviously no real law,  just the reaction of bureaucrats. Don't the extended rules need to be approved by the government, such as it is. That the 'Department' will consider other penalties implies that no law or order exists.

3 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

The law is particularly unclear, government departments considering? Obviously no real law,  just the reaction of bureaucrats. Don't the extended rules need to be approved by the government, such as it is. That the 'Department' will consider other penalties implies that no law or order exists.

This was done under article 44 and signed off by the NCPO.  Game over!

we were waiting on  a van one time to go to KK. When we got on the bus, two of the passengers(Thai Ladies) had the seats next to them taken up by suitcases.and they were not going to move them.The front seats were occupied by three other people.We refused the ride as we didnt want to stand for possibly 30 kliks.Not at the speed the drivers run at.

The driver was very peeved and got quite angry, my wife told him not to be so greedy and why did he allow the suitcases on any way if there was no room for them.Now what would have happened if the rule was in force then.Would we have been seen as two extra passengers or would the suitcases have to be paid for?

How does it work out.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

violating passenger vans would be fined 500 baht each

I wonder how they would check that? There will be more than 10.000 Policemen or soldiers necessary to stop every van on the road. or an envelope might help?

6 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

we were waiting on  a van one time to go to KK. When we got on the bus, two of the passengers(Thai Ladies) had the seats next to them taken up by suitcases.and they were not going to move them.The front seats were occupied by three other people.We refused the ride as we didnt want to stand for possibly 30 kliks.Not at the speed the drivers run at.

The driver was very peeved and got quite angry, my wife told him not to be so greedy and why did he allow the suitcases on any way if there was no room for them.Now what would have happened if the rule was in force then.Would we have been seen as two extra passengers or would the suitcases have to be paid for?

How does it work out.

We have to pay for suitcases down here.

The passenger vans which do the school runs don't have seats
They have three loose lateral bench seats in the back. They cram in up to two dozen kids. I wonder how they will be affected...

Surprisingly, driving out from BKK to Rayong yesterday, I noticed several passenger vans being driven slowly (around 100kph) and mostly staying in the middle lane. I couldn't help but think they were finally starting to get the message....we do live in hope but I guess reality will kick in again and we will see them back to their old retarded reckless ways before too long.

Good make sure they keep to speed limit. Today I sent in my car for servicing and took a cab, the cabbie kindly requested me and my wife to buckle up. He drove safely.

I like to see more of government involvement if public transport experiences are going to improve like this.

14 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

We have to pay for suitcases down here.

Yes, my point exactly. In theory, if the suitcases were paid for then, then i suppose they qualify as passengers(in a round about way.Then they would have been part of the make up of the maximum fill of the bus.

The driver wanted us to stand up(not possible for me) in the bus and pay the fare.. My question was, that if the maximum occupation of the bus rule was applicable, would we be counted as 2 passengers too many? And would the driver have been fined for that?

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Yes, my point exactly. In theory, if the suitcases were paid for then, then i suppose they qualify as passengers(in a round about way.Then they would have been part of the make up of the maximum fill of the bus.

The driver wanted us to stand up(not possible for me) in the bus and pay the fare.. My question was, that if the maximum occupation of the bus rule was applicable, would we be counted as 2 passengers too many? And would the driver have been fined for that?

I am not lying.  I actually paid for me & my mate and seats for two suitcases (4 seats altogether) just 3 weeks ago to Bangkok on a minivan.  My wife told me would have to.  So what?  I didnt want to wait for a normal bus or a taxi to come from BKK & my wife had business appointments that day.