Officer on leave after dragging United Airlines passenger off plane

webfact

42 minutes ago, Credo said:

I don't know where people get off thinking it is up to them to decide what is right or wrong.   When a police officer, security personnel or anyone in a position of authority tells you to do something, first you do and then you complain later.   

I've been on a plane when they called for volunteers, and I volunteer unless I have a connecting flight and they offer compensation no problem.

The one thing is, if a person in a position of authority tells you to do something, first do it and then ask questions or complain later.  

You see he's not you! 

But you are right about having to follow an officer's order.

I expect the judge will take that in to consideration when the thug is convicted.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, balo said:

R.I.P United Airlines.

Second Third (CEO's Belligerent remark) PR <deleted> up in as many weeks...

After watching "Airline" the fly on the wall documentary featuring Easy Jet I fought their customer service stinks, but I bet Stelios would never say an upset customer was "belligerent"...

Would you not be up set when they called for volunteers and then threaten if no one volunteers we will choose and the next thing is some one is pointing at you???

As usual the media is going crazy on this one !!
Dr David Dao, originally from Vietnam, lived in Kentucky 20 years .
They then go on to drag up some dirt about the guys past .

Poor guy is gonna get some compensation but his whole life story is also gonna be pasted all over the press.

Poor guy is gonna get some compensation but his whole life story is also gonna be pasted all over the press.

The poor guy's already being dragged through the mud on the Daily Fail...

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

Under the laws in most countries, whatever actions are committed by employees of a company while on duty, are acted on behalf of the company. This means that the company bosses are fully responsible for the assault perpetrated on that United airlines passenger.

Being this happened in America and on an American airline, I have no doubts the passenger will be suing for millions over this. I also have no doubts there will be lawyers offering to act on the passengers behalf for free in this can`t lose case, with fees being paid from the compensation paid by the airline.

Thumbs up to you mate, everyone is on your side. 

Not quite everyone. There are one or two posters on this thread who are definitely blaming the victim.

23 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The man will become an instant folk hero if he plays this right, regardless of his past. As of today no airline in the US will ever forcibly remove a seated passenger for reasons other than security or health.  The airlines of course will continue to deny boarding to anyone for any reason they want.

Edited by Johpa

Yes , an interesting character. Professional Poker Player and failed Physician, suspended for handing out painkillers illegally at Louisville in exchange for sexual favors of the alternative nature. Not the type to follow sheepishly follow authoritarian rules and lawful instructions.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/04/david-dao-united-doctor-airlines-louisville-kentucky-passenger-removed-video-photos/

29 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Yes , an interesting character. Professional Poker Player and failed Physician, suspended for handing out painkillers illegally at Louisville in exchange for sexual favors of the alternative nature. Not the type to follow sheepishly follow authoritarian rules and lawful instructions.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/04/david-dao-united-doctor-airlines-louisville-kentucky-passenger-removed-video-photos/

And?

9 hours ago, Johpa said:

Again, I have only seen wording noting the denial of boarding , and that without even to have any justification.  But although there maybe something in the fine print somewhere, I've yet to be shown anything about removing an already boarded and seated passenger apart from security or health.  This will head to the courts for final determination, perhaps to determine whether operational necessity goes beyond the necessity of the flight in question.  But the real question is whether the clear right to deny boarding can be retroactively applied to those already boarded and seated.  Whose to say that United didn't just go Thai to get some favored VIP somewhere for a party?

Sticking to the wording contract of carriage "denial of boarding" is a point of information a lawyer might bring up at court. But it will fail. Because passengers are involuntary deplaned after actually boarding for many reasons, in actual operations.

This doctor has been involved in a lot in his life.  .  

He was an amateur poker player earning more than $200000 since 2006 . And he was convicted in 2004 for handing out drugs. 

His life is now in all the media news channels in the world. He can probably sue United for millions after this ,  

2 minutes ago, balo said:

This doctor has been involved in a lot in his life.  .  

He was an amateur poker player earning more than $200000 since 2006 . And he was convicted in 2004 for handing out drugs. 

His life is now in all the media news channels in the world. He can probably sue United for millions after this ,  

CNN quoting 6% wiped off their stock.

3 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

I don't know, but he didn't get up and walk off the plane like they told him to.  

The behaviour of the individual passenger is irrelevant. The airline were going to boot passengers, using the police and force if necessary, however any of those passengers behaved. If you had sat there, nice as pie, and said in a measured and quiet tone throughout  "no, I am not going to be forced to 'volunteer' to be 'reaccommodated'" you would still have been kicked off. They had crew to transport you see, and they were not going to inconvenience their business when they could inconvenience their passengers.

I see all the points about terms and conditions, and the price of flying. When the airlines tell you how cheap your ticket is, they aren't queuing up to tell you that they reserve the right to boot you off when  you are already in their seat because one of their other flights is delayed and they prioritise their crew over other passengers.

But more than that, you are forgetting a fairly important point. Just because the airline 'can', it doesn't mean it 'should' behave in this way. When you buy a plane ticket you don't necessarily realise  that you are striking a deal with the devil over a moderately priced internal flight.

If they honestly think that the right response to a flight crew being delayed is to get the Chicago PD (this is no ordinary police force, let us not forget - they like to detain people without charge and without legal representation in shadowy 'facilities' which they deny exist) to drag passengers off aeroplanes, injuring them in the process, maybe United Airlines are in the wrong business.

It's a useful warning. I would never use this airline if I ever had the 'opportunity' to do so. They might, for example, decide that my daughter's leggings are a good reason to deny her access to their flight. It also suggests to me that I won't bother travelling to or via the US for a while. If I do, and I actually manage to be allowed on a flight to a US airport, the government might say that I have to hand over my computer passwords and social media login details as a condition of entry. And then I will have a much greater chance of encountering someone who is carrying a gun, and is a bit cross, than I ever would in the UK, despite our 'problems' with islam and immigration. All of this is really good for the US tourism industry, I'm sure.

But never mind - just comply, eh?

I'm reading the US press sites at the moment and nearly all of them are quoting a monetary compensation instead of vouchers as was offered.

Back in the 80's was offered 250 pounds by BA to get the next flight to Rome from Heathrow but I was expected for work so couldn't take up their offer .....

Edited by sandrabbit

3 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Back in the 80's was offered 250 pounds by BA to get the next flight to Rome from Heathrow but I was expected for work so couldn't take up their offer .....

Good job you weren't flying United. They'd have cracked your skull open for declining the offer.

2 minutes ago, naboo said:

Good job you weren't flying United. They'd have cracked your skull open for declining the offer.

I was in biz class and was sat next to 2 guys from the Racing cars who had to get to Rome as they were being personal roadies for the Rolling Stones but they weren't going to get there in time for the concert. There was a very tearful lady from the US not allowed to board who was going to miss a dinner date the same night.

43 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

CNN quoting 6% wiped off their stock.

Time shareholders to call for the head of the Belligerent CEO 

(by the way I googled "Belligerent CEO", and came up with loads of news stories quoting the CEO)

United CEO says removed passenger was 'disruptive and belligerent'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39563570

fact was United could have just blamed the security people who are actually working for the airport and not the airline who have already suspended put on enforced leave their heavy handed security guy.

Edited by Basil B

53 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Sticking to the wording contract of carriage "denial of boarding" is a point of information a lawyer might bring up at court. But it will fail. Because passengers are involuntary deplaned after actually boarding for many reasons, in actual operations.

That passengers are involuntarily deplaned is not a legal argument. 

The guy is will become a folk hero just like this guy:

44 minutes ago, Johpa said:

That passengers are involuntarily deplaned is not a legal argument. 

The guy is will become a folk hero just like this guy:

You appear to be arguing once a passenger steps on a plane he cannot be deplaned, i.e. denied boarding, This is not what the intent of "denied boarding" means in actual operations. 

Say a full flight is delayed on  the Tarmac couple hours for some reason. Now ready to go Fog rolls in at the destination. The pilot is legally required to take more fuel, creating a weight restriction equal to 4 passengers, who would now be asked to deplane according to the air carriers policy. This is an operational requirement exactly like the airlines required crew movements in this case. Thousand of people are denied boarding every year, most don't resist, become belligerent, delaying everyone else on the plane and the subsequent departure of another flight.  

Here is a real airline folk hero. A Cabin Attendant sick of dealing with abusive passengers after 20 years grabbed a beer, popped a chute and fled the airport!

Edited by Dipterocarp

8 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

You appear to be arguing once a passenger steps on a plane he cannot be deplaned, i.e. denied boarding, This is not what the intent of "denied boarding" means in actual operations. 

Say a full flight is delayed on  the Tarmac couple hours for some reason. Now ready to go Fog rolls in at the destination. The pilot is legally required to take more fuel, creating a weight restriction equal to 4 passengers, who would now be asked to deplane according to the air carriers policy. This is an operational requirement exactly like the airlines required crew movements. 

can't you stay with the subject, what if there was a meteorite strike or Yellowstone let go?. stop doing what ifs and stay with the subject.

watching Spicer on CNN he's just as evasive as you are.

pp I just reread what you said, a medium jet aircraft having to offload 4 people over weight/fuel considerations?.

Edited by sandrabbit

4 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

Say a full flight is delayed on  the Tarmac couple hours for some reason. Now ready to go Fog rolls in at the destination. The pilot is legally required to take more fuel, creating a weight restriction equal to 4 passengers, who would now be asked to deplane according to the air carriers policy. This is an operational requirement exactly like the airlines required crew movements. 

A Dipterocarp, bending way over to grasp at straws? 

Dishing TMZ and Heavy dot com dirt didn't have quite the impact you envisioned, eh?  :laugh:

16 hours ago, Emster23 said:

If United policy had any brains, they should have used market place strategy: Have attendant go in and announce "We need 2 seats: I am offering next flight + $50"  no takers "Same + $100" .... "Next flight, $125 and hotel voucher" etc etc

This is already standard practice ... and has been for a long time. However, they offer more compensation than you suggest.

1 minute ago, HerbalEd said:

This is already standard practice ... and has been for a long time. However, they offer more compensation than you suggest.

but they offered vouchers not cash, $800.