Challenges filed about legality of submarine purchase

snoop1130

Challenges filed about legality of submarine purchase

By The Nation

5cb20d4fa17d64f1dfc7443c804e5358.jpeg

Activist Srisuwan Janya plans to petition with the Office of Auditor General on Thursday to investigate whether the purchase of a Bt13.5-billion Chinese-made submarine violated the Constitution and relevant laws, he said on Wednesday.

Srisuwan said the procurement, proposed by the Royal Thai Navy and approved by the Cabinet last week could violate the 2017 Constitution, which requires the government to strictly maintain financial and fiscal discipline for the public benefit.

He expressed doubts as to whether it was necessary to buy a submarine – judging from not only the sum of money to be spent amid the country’s economic downturn, but also its practicality. 

“The Gulf of Thailand has average depths of 25 to 60 metres,” he said. “We’re also not in conflict with any neighbouring countries. There is no reason to accumulate such hardware.”

The procurement process was also insufficiently transparent, Srisuwan said, adding that the government had yet to mention additional costs as dock construction, personnel hiring, supplementary hardware and annual maintenance. 

Meanwhile, most respondents to a Twitter poll conducted by the Nation News Agency (NNA) disagreed with the government’s approval of the submarine procurement. Of the 1,705 respondents, 81 per cent said they disagreed, compared to 9 per cent who agreed to the green light for the submarine purchase.

Opponents of the plan pointed to the country’s still weakening economy while supporters said the country needed submarines for security reasons.

“I don’t think the submarine should be bought while the country suffers from an economic downturn. This same amount of money should have been spent on something else more beneficial,” said Lawan Krongboon, a respondent to the NNA poll.

Another respondent, Santisak Fuengvanich, said: “I agree with this [submarine purchase]. Although people’s wellbeing is not in good shape, Thailand needs the submarines for security reasons. People need to be reasonable and take a holistic look at our country.”

Siripimol Thanpatthanawit, a respondent to the online survey, said: “Whether we agree with this or not, the Cabinet has already approved it. Do they care about us? If they did, they would not go this far. As a member of the public, I’m disheartened!”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30313435

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-26

It looks like activist Srisuwan Janya is attempting to torpedo the deal. There will be many ruffled feathers and grim faces around the big tables tonight.

"Another respondent, Santisak Fuengvanich, said: “I agree with this [submarine purchase]. Although people’s wellbeing is not in good shape, Thailand needs the submarines for security reasons."

Security of what, one might ask.

“The Gulf of Thailand has average depths of 25 to 60 metres,” I dont see that

as a problem, they will only go down to periscope depth, or how will they

know where they are going.:saai:

regards worgeordie

40 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

It looks like activist Srisuwan Janya is attempting to torpedo the deal. There will be many ruffled feathers and grim faces around the big tables tonight.

"Another respondent, Santisak Fuengvanich, said: “I agree with this [submarine purchase]. Although people’s wellbeing is not in good shape, Thailand needs the submarines for security reasons."

Security of what, one might ask.

Maybe financial security of those who made the purchase.. wink wink

Years ago the brass decided that they Thailand needed an aircraft carrier. To everyone's utter surprise the ship immediately started gathering rust tied up alongside in a naval base.

Now, instead of spending the billions of Baht the brass feel they Thailand deserve on making the carrier operational they go ahead and order another set of insanely expensive anodes.

It's a good thing they granted themselves an amnesty for any past, present and future crimes. I have a feeling that if independent reviews were conducted regarding military procurement projects during the last few decades the whole rice issue under the YL administration wouldn't been such a big deal in the whole rotten scheme of things.

Will this activist be looking at an arrest for asking questions?

Speaking of arrests - isn't the Red Bull turd supposed to be back tomorrow? I look forward to seeing him in cuffs and in serious trouble. If you can be arrested in Thailand for asking questions, I'd hate to think what happens to you if you kill a police officer  ? 

This sub will be the star attraction as a Chao Phraya dinner cruise vessel :clap2:
The navy,in its wisdom, have appointed an english captain ( Pugwash) to oversee the thai crew :thumbsup:

Along with the rest of Pugwashs' crew - Master B.... no I must not go on....

SRISUWAN Janya, secretary-general of the Association for the Protection of the Thai Constitution

Gotta give this guy some props. He's either got a huge amulets collection, or a huge pair of balls.

He's gone after the current government over a range of issues, sensitive ones, and thus far has managed to remain living and out of prison.

Pretty surprising, under the circumstances.

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Gotta give this guy some props. He's either got a huge amulets collection, or a huge pair of balls.

He's gone after the current government over a range of issues, sensitive ones, and thus far has managed to remain living and out of prison.

Pretty surprising, under the circumstances.

Maybe he has dirt. Wouldn't be hard with these lot. 

2 hours ago, Becker said:

Years ago the brass decided that they Thailand needed an aircraft carrier. To everyone's utter surprise the ship immediately started gathering rust tied up alongside in a naval base.

Now, instead of spending the billions of Baht the brass feel they Thailand deserve on making the carrier operational they go ahead and order another set of insanely expensive anodes.

It's a good thing they granted themselves an amnesty for any past, present and future crimes. I have a feeling that if independent reviews were conducted regarding military procurement projects during the last few decades the whole rice issue under the YL administration wouldn't been such a big deal in the whole rotten scheme of things.

Perhaps these clever chaps have found a way of submarines taking off from an aircraft carrier, should I say Submarine carrier, first one in the world, true pathfinders!!

One of the submarines is earmarked for Bung Borpet where it can torpedo the odd crocodile in the rainy season.

Senior ministers etc bring your own wellies just in case someone forgets who was last on board and who was supposed to close the hatch.

I once a submarine ! It came free in a box of cornflakes, you put baking powder in for fuel and rose to the surface and went down to the bottom of the sink and came back up again, wonderful little toy. Point them to the cereal aisle in the supermarket, much cheaper, then they could spend money improving the lot of most of the population which is really much more important, unless of course you want have a trip to the Korean peninsular and ave a go at that fat bloke with basin cut.

I too have some knowledge of these matters having been in command of a Chinese-made sub and a Japanese one. The Chinese one had distinctly inferior handling: it failed running the gauntlet under the hot water tap, was hopeless in collisions with the soap dish and went straight to the bottom when broadsided by frigates/light cruisers from a number of countries.

General Prayuth might benefit from my insights and I shall write to him at once.

Edited by Prbkk

Oh for Buddhas sakes !

Down here in Phuket , a  province that is  a huge earner for the Thai government , the government is dragging its feet about sewerage treatment plants.

The grand aim is , BTW , to be  one day capable of treating SEVENTY PERCENT of  locally generated sewerage.

Yes , only 70% is the target !

One has to really question the priorities ....