Prawit crosses swords with Yingluck over state spending

webfact

18 minutes ago, seajae said:

hahahahahaha, computers bought, you mean the cheap crappy chinese garbage that stopped working almost immediately. They paid way too much for the crap they got, many student never even got them and those that did couldnt use them as they would not do what was promised. It was a huge waste of time and money, if you are going to defend it then you are just as sorry as they are. While I may not like the idea of the subs, as I said at least they are able to do what they are meant too unlike the so called computers

You have said what you was supposed to say and that's fine. UNESCO praised the OLPC and they have more credibility than you. Apple was on board this scheme in one shape or form. They must have seen the benefits, not you and that's fine. Many countries have the same OLPC same but you lambast the benefits. Will the scheme be successful, we don't know since the junta stopped the scheme and promised smart schools that have not been built. At least the previous government had the right mindset.

Now the submarine was what? Meant to do what they meant to do?? They can't even navigate into the Gulf of Siam without scrapping the bottom. What a boatload of patronizing bs.

7 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

average depth of Gulf of Thailand is 58 metres

are these subs surface craft?

They will be, tied up alongside close to the aircraft carrier.

If the armed forces of Thailand ever become accountable to future legitimate governments I suggest that this be preserved as a tableau illustrating the excesses of junta rule.

Maybe they can call it:

"Article 44"

or

"The Mother Of All Amnesties"

or

"Prayuth's Folly"

or

"Blame it on the Bogeyman"

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

50 X 13.5 Billion is 675 Billion. Mr. Prawit is telling lies. The loss was extensive, but only around a quarter of that and largely due to a serious fall in rice prices globally.

http://www.benarnews.org/english/news/thai/rice-price-12152016141035.html

Regardless, seeing the pair of them squabbling over who did what is quite pathetic.

You are making the assumption that had world rice prices not fallen, then any profit associated with the scheme would have gone into the state coffers rather than the Shin and Shin cronies deep pockets.

That is a big assumption based on their extreme reluctance to produce accounts explaining where most of the money went.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

You have said what you was supposed to say and that's fine. UNESCO praised the OLPC and they have more credibility than you. Apple was on board this scheme in one shape or form. They must have seen the benefits, not you and that's fine. Many countries have the same OLPC same but you lambast the benefits. Will the scheme be successful, we don't know since the junta stopped the scheme and promised smart schools that have not been built. At least the previous government had the right mindset.

Now the submarine was what? Meant to do what they meant to do?? They can't even navigate into the Gulf of Siam without scrapping the bottom. What a boatload of patronizing bs.

Give over Eric! Those of us who were here remember dear Yingluck holding up her expensive Apple iPad and promising every child would get one.

Only it was another PTP fiasco. Chinese suppliers, not actually recognized iPad or computer manufacturers with proven track record. Usual "mist" around the procurement. 

Not all children got them and those that did were complaining about functionality and breakdowns.

The submarines may or may not be needed and there are questions about how it's being handled. Rightly so. But to pretend Yingluck's election promise of a tablet for every child "just like mine" was anything but a fiasco is silly.

IIRC the promise was "a tablet just like mine", as she held up a Samsung costing some B30k, which changed to a B3k cheap-knock-off once it came time to deliver, and most kids are still waiting for theirs to arrive.

Perhaps another former-PM should pay his outstanding tax-bill, on condition that the money goes towards delivering on her pre-election lie promise, but it'll never happen because people like that don't pay tax, it's only for the little people. :wink:

It's amost enough to make one cynical about elected-politicians, as well as self-appointed governments !  A pox on them all ! :saai:

Edited by Ricardo

3 hours ago, seajae said:

hahahahahaha, computers bought, you mean the cheap crappy chinese garbage that stopped working almost immediately. They paid way too much for the crap they got, many student never even got them and those that did couldnt use them as they would not do what was promised. It was a huge waste of time and money, if you are going to defend it then you are just as sorry as they are. While I may not like the idea of the subs, as I said at least they are able to do what they are meant too unlike the so called computers

No matter how flawed they were it was somewhat well meaning, cant see how the subs are.

Oh so you know how well these subs are going to perform even before they have been purchased

now that really is ha X 1000

your Taksin hate makes you look as silly as small country buying subs just as a dick waving contest.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Give over Eric! Those of us who were here remember dear Yingluck holding up her expensive Apple iPad and promising every child would get one.

Only it was another PTP fiasco. Chinese suppliers, not actually recognized iPad or computer manufacturers with proven track record. Usual "mist" around the procurement. 

Not all children got them and those that did were complaining about functionality and breakdowns.

The submarines may or may not be needed and there are questions about how it's being handled. Rightly so. But to pretend Yingluck's election promise of a tablet for every child "just like mine" was anything but a fiasco is silly.

So tell me how many tablets were non functioning. And do you know that the procurement contract include a local representative that repairs and replace. 

Why it astonishes you that electronic products breakdown. Even submarine breakdown and need repairs. 

Are you suggesting that Apple tablets be bought? Government procure the cheapest product that meets the specification. It carries a product warrant. Surely someone with your experience knows that. 

The junta has cancelled the project and we will

never know whether it will be successful but at least they have the right policy to improve the literacy level. So now that it was cancelled, what happen to the junta promise of smart schools. You know???

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

So tell me how many tablets were non functioning. And do you know that the procurement contract include a local representative that repairs and replace. 

Why it astonishes you that electronic products breakdown. Even submarine breakdown and need repairs. 

Are you suggesting that Apple tablets be bought? Government procure the cheapest product that meets the specification. It carries a product warrant. Surely someone with your experience knows that. 

The junta has cancelled the project and we will

never know whether it will be successful but at least they have the right policy to improve the literacy level. So now that it was cancelled, what happen to the junta promise of smart schools. You know???

Back to you el,  since you are an expert on the topic you tell us how many of these tablets are now in regular use (at least 4 times a week) and at what schools and also the details of how many items of software / applications, have been developed / what subjects and what level of interaction and the same details about what's now mainstream every teachers electronic whiteboard.

And since your the expert please share details of where repairs etc., are available nation wide and the procedures involved.

Your the expert el, share your expert knowledge. 

Ohh and by the way, I suspect you have technical specs and reliability confused. 

Edited by scorecard

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

"...Apple was on board this scheme in one shape or form. ..."

Now come on el, you can fool a few people all the time but you can't fool everybody all the time.

But I guess apple fooled you, did you not suspect they were interested (mostly interested) in revenue and market share? 

Scorecard, you really should ask Baerboxer those questions. He brought that up. 

If if you don't know the details of the program, I suggest you do some research. Really show you shooting blanks. All the information I given even Apple reference and the company contracted for repairs are in public domain. You can't be spoon feed every time. 

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

While the idea in itself might not have been a bad one, as with (practically) all projects of this kind in Thailand it was poorly thought out, and the execution was even worse. 
Those of us who have been here for a while can without breaking a sweat make a pretty long list of public procurement initiatives/projects that have imploded in a similar fashion before they were completed.
It's hard to see how they can be successful at all given the level of graft, cronyism and (the resulting) incompetence that exists here. 

Before I'm being accused of Thai bashing let me hasten to add that there are of course tons of competent Thais out there, who can plan and execute these kinds of projects with ease. The only problem (and it's a big one) is that they're not the ones making the decisions.

The tablet initiative was yet another failure, for the reasons I listed above. I'm sure the procurement process (as you state) was "misty" and the usual hand-outs were given.
But there is a difference between mist and complete darkness, which better describes the procurement process of the armed forces. 
There is also another big difference;
The tablet fiasco (as well as the rice debacle) is in part "owned" by the people of Thailand, who voted YL into office. The sub purchase (which will go the way of the aircraft carrier project) is wholly owned by the military and their backers. And as we all know, no one will ever make those guys accountable for their actions and decisions.

10 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Your rant made dramatic reading but really is full of false facts and should be corrected.

The free computer happened in 2012 and given to Grade 1 schools. The junta stopped the program and asked the schools to return the computers and promised that they will use the money to build smart schools. That was last we heard and yes no smart schools were built.

The infrastructure projects were from the previous government. Now you are claiming the credit for the junta. Hilarious. 

If there were corruptions in the rice scheme whether government or private, prosecute them but I have heard few. She was prosecuted for malfeasance not corruption. 

Now can you rant about the current junta reckless purchase of military hardwares, depleting the reserves, cronyism, nepotism, unusual wealth, alleged corruptions, lavish spendings, police state and the inability to stop bombings and killings in the South. 

Really.

The computers were given to some schools in 2012. The junta happened in 2014 and only a few schools had computers.

Major new infrastructure programs have been initiated since 2015. Not the previous government initiatives, they were too busy blowing up department stores and ordering murders. My area (Prachinburi) has had most of the swamps and waterways cleared of water hyacinth, dredged and new overflow ponds created. This year. Roads are being repaired and gravel roads replaced with concrete. This year. I visited a friend in Chonburi. Extensive total overhaul of the roads to the ports and Pattaya. This year. Read any of the rural forums on this site and posters report of new bridges, roads, electricity infrastructure and as a result, major investment in business. This is happening now and has not been observed my me since 2010. Not any previous so called democratic government initiative.

The total corruption of the rice scheme has been fully documented, with rice  warehouses looted and the remainder replaced with rotten rice. So called Jasmine rice sold to China as animal feed.

Huge losses to rural farming communities, the farmers encouraged to borrow and then left with huge debts when the pledge collapsed due to misappropriation and pathetic administration.

I will not rant about the current military spending, I know little about the Thai military and have no interest as a guest in this country of trying to investigate this matter. Other than to say that every country deserves to be able to attempt to defend itself. Australia, for instance has just announced the purchase of 12 subs. Not the best ones from Japan (don't want to offend China) but subs from France, that not only have yet to be designed, but will possibly not be able to fire torpedoes. At least the Chinese subs may actually work.

The problems, bombings and killings in the south commenced during so called democratic government rule. It continues with major funding from Arabic countries. A muslim issue experienced by many countries and not one country has found a solution to date.

The rest of your rant involves the words "alleged" 

I know nothing of this, I try not to interfere with current government activities, it is not my country to suggest how they should run it. But previous so called governments (note the word govern and not the word mayhem) have impacted severely on my neighbours. Land rich and destitute thanks to that "person" you so avidly defend. 

You need to get out of the city and stop defending scum politicians.

4 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

Really.

The computers were given to some schools in 2012. The junta happened in 2014 and only a few schools had computers.

Major new infrastructure programs have been initiated since 2015. Not the previous government initiatives, they were too busy blowing up department stores and ordering murders. My area (Prachinburi) has had most of the swamps and waterways cleared of water hyacinth, dredged and new overflow ponds created. This year. Roads are being repaired and gravel roads replaced with concrete. This year. I visited a friend in Chonburi. Extensive total overhaul of the roads to the ports and Pattaya. This year. Read any of the rural forums on this site and posters report of new bridges, roads, electricity infrastructure and as a result, major investment in business. This is happening now and has not been observed my me since 2010. Not any previous so called democratic government initiative.

The total corruption of the rice scheme has been fully documented, with rice  warehouses looted and the remainder replaced with rotten rice. So called Jasmine rice sold to China as animal feed.

Huge losses to rural farming communities, the farmers encouraged to borrow and then left with huge debts when the pledge collapsed due to misappropriation and pathetic administration.

I will not rant about the current military spending, I know little about the Thai military and have no interest as a guest in this country of trying to investigate this matter. Other than to say that every country deserves to be able to attempt to defend itself. Australia, for instance has just announced the purchase of 12 subs. Not the best ones from Japan (don't want to offend China) but subs from France, that not only have yet to be designed, but will possibly not be able to fire torpedoes. At least the Chinese subs may actually work.

The problems, bombings and killings in the south commenced during so called democratic government rule. It continues with major funding from Arabic countries. A muslim issue experienced by many countries and not one country has found a solution to date.

I know nothing of this, I try not to interfere with current government activities, it is not my country to suggest how they should run it. But previous so called governments (note the word govern and not the word mayhem) have impacted severely on my neighbours. Land rich and destitute thanks to that "person" you so avidly defend. 

When it's about the previous government you can express plenty of allegations (without providing any source, of course). But when it is about the flaws of the current unelected government you know nothing and don't want to interfere as it is not your country. :coffee1:

On 4/28/2017 at 6:30 PM, seajae said:

ah, but did it stay in Thailand and in whose pocket, certainly not the farmers, circulated internally with the ptp and their mates would be more like it. Even though the sub deal is pretty strange at least they will have 4 subs for the money spent, with the rice deal they got absolutely nothing but rotten rice and a huge amount of missing money. All this does is shows how silly she is to try to compare the two but then again we already know her total lack of intelligence.

Where did the 4th sub appear? Also do you know what happened to the 5.5BN baht used for the last sub procurement project, except of course for the naval base extensions in Sattahip where they promoted a couple of higher ups for job well done, built a german sub simulator, and then feigned on the actual procurement? If there was actually a good comparison to be made for that sub-load of money during the last 60-70 years I think someone would have made it - regarding military spending... One could almost say that !anywhere! else the money would be better used, even looking at the roadmap Junta themselves have announced - but nah - lets buy some subs nao, and think what to do with them later.

I am surprised Thailand has not learned it lesson as it become a dumping ground for Chinese junk for a few years now. Anything you buy these days from there seems to have a sell by date of 3 months if your lucky, but they are good with backhanders

On 28/04/2017 at 5:00 PM, darksidedog said:

50 X 13.5 Billion is 675 Billion. Mr. Prawit is telling lies. The loss was extensive, but only around a quarter of that and largely due to a serious fall in rice prices globally.

http://www.benarnews.org/english/news/thai/rice-price-12152016141035.html

Regardless, seeing the pair of them squabbling over who did what is quite pathetic.

And speaking of maths it's supposed to be buy 2 get one free and the price of one sub is 13.5 yet the total budget is 36 million. Sounds more like buy 3 get a small discount on one to me.

21 hours ago, candide said:

When it's about the previous government you can express plenty of allegations (without providing any source, of course). But when it is about the flaws of the current unelected government you know nothing and don't want to interfere as it is not your country. :coffee1:

I suggest you and other posters get out of the big cities, take a big breath of fresh air and travel to some of the truly rural regions. You know, that unknown area that provides the food, crustaceans, rice, fruit, meat and the the basic essence that is Thailand. Because your snout in the trough attitudes do not reflect on the majority of the decent majority born Thais.

It is true that I take no part in politics. It is true that I have observed no mass murders, businesses being bombed and burned since the junta took control. It is true that life continues as normal for me, my neighbours and the whole of Prachinburi and I suspect all other provinces. 

I expressed no allegations, everything has been reported ad infinitum. I abhor the previous so called previous democratic government and the previous one. That is a personal opinion, I only make some comments when I have seen the misery that these governments inflicted on the food bowl of Thailand. And if you live in Thailand, also on you. 

I live here at the whim of any government. I love it here, away from all the city sloths. I love the land that my wife and I are developing. I love the embracing warmth that has been given to me by hard working rural people and an extended family into which I am included.

I don't interfere with other countries politics, The US does that for me with disasterous results. All foreigners should concentrate on looking after their own rancid affairs. When they have that nailed down, maybe stick your snout into some other countries affais. 

2 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I suggest you and other posters get out of the big cities, take a big breath of fresh air and travel to some of the truly rural regions. You know, that unknown area that provides the food, crustaceans, rice, fruit, meat and the the basic essence that is Thailand. Because your snout in the trough attitudes do not reflect on the majority of the decent majority born Thais.

It is true that I take no part in politics. It is true that I have observed no mass murders, businesses being bombed and burned since the junta took control. It is true that life continues as normal for me, my neighbours and the whole of Prachinburi and I suspect all other provinces. 

I expressed no allegations, everything has been reported ad infinitum. I abhor the previous so called previous democratic government and the previous one. That is a personal opinion, I only make some comments when I have seen the misery that these governments inflicted on the food bowl of Thailand. And if you live in Thailand, also on you. 

I live here at the whim of any government. I love it here, away from all the city sloths. I love the land that my wife and I are developing. I love the embracing warmth that has been given to me by hard working rural people and an extended family into which I am included.

I don't interfere with other countries politics, The US does that for me with disasterous results. All foreigners should concentrate on looking after their own rancid affairs. When they have that nailed down, maybe stick your snout into some other countries affais. 

As the longest lasting government since the 2006 coup, the current one surely has some achievements to show.

But when you talk about the majority of Thai people who are allegedly happier now, I cannot help but ask the same stupid question: why is it forbidden to check that the majority is satisfied by allowing freedom of opinion and speech, and of course free election?

Really.

There again, it really is a first class rant!

The rice subsidy scheme was an economic disaster, but unless the amount has continued to increase in size, it's nowhere close to the eventual B1.2 trn for the navy's tin toys - and that discounts unpredicted and miscalculated costs.

And if I must imagine Prawit as a swordsman, I suppose it would have to be D'Artagnan.

8 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

What a hypocritical rant.