Pheu Thai opens fire at submarine deal

webfact

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

People representing one of the largest segments of the population voicing their opinions. 

OMG, what's this country coming to?

Time for the yellow and orange hoards to mobilize.

Nah prefer that they too stay home.. even though they don't get as violent as the reds it still not a good idea. 

Voicing their opinions their right.. and duty as people from the PTP who are in opposition of the current government. But giving spending advice after having run a 500 billion off book scheme... its hypocritical. 

Though I do agree 100% with them about this sub deal.. its stupid, actually army spending should go down. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Indonesia - 4 submarines
Vietnam - 6 submarines
Malaysia - 2 submarines
Singapore - 6 submarines
Thailand - orders 3 submarines

Why can't Thailand have submarines?

Current Military Strength Rankings

1 - Indonesia
2 - Thailand
3 - Vietnam
4 - Malaysia
5 - Singapore

Why cant Thailand have submarines ? probably because they are as useful as a pocket in a singlet unless they are used for rice storage

Theres an aircraft carrier been docked in Sathatip for 20 years, never leaves the dock.

36 billion baht  might just be better put in to education and health and drag this country out of third world mentality

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Pheu Thai have voiced their opposition to the submarine deal.

Why bother, nobody is listening.

The boys want the subs, dont give a rats a..e what anybody says.

They are not concerned about the financial burden they are placing Thailand in.

5555 Nobody is listening to us either...!  What's the point.

I'm not sure I would buy anything made in China. Pretty much everything I have bought in the past that was manufactured there broke after about a month.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm not sure I would buy anything made in China. Pretty much everything I have bought in the past that was manufactured there broke after about a month.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Really?

Sent from your what?  

Made where?

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I think there around 20 odd countries who do not have a military force,

being able to spend monies on health, education and infrastructure,

North Korea being at the other end of military spending,

How communication, continued dialogue and  respect for ones own borders and sovereignty with neighbors,

somehow gets twisted and abandoned  into being frivolous with wants and needs that make no sense 

as this deal with China is on the submarines.

Educated forward looking, conservative spending?

This current government has implemented some very good policies, 

then to  go and undermine all the positives with one very large 

Negative.

"This current government has implemented some very good policies" 

Please be as kind to name them, I must have dosed off when they were implemented.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Whilst I don't agree that buying Chinese subs is a great idea, what makes these Pheu Thai clowns think they should be dishing out spending advice !!

They are Thai, and all Thai should disagree with this , so thats what they think they should be, Thai Nationals ! 

Indonesia - 4 submarines
Vietnam - 6 submarines
Malaysia - 2 submarines
Singapore - 6 submarines

1 - Indonesia
2 - Thailand
3 - Vietnam
4 - Malaysia
5 - Singapore

1. All those countries have immediate access to deep water shipping lanes which would be vulnerable to interdiction by other navies.

2. Thailands only adjacent deep water is the And a man Sea. The Submarines base is at the head of the Gulf of Thailand. To get to those waters the Thai submarines would have to pass those countries you listed - and there submarines, and their significant anti submarine defenses. They would be bottled up in the shallow waters of the Gulf.

So not only does Thailand have no requirement for submarines (other than the entirely risible idea of awing their neighbours, but they would be unusable anyway.

Via Twitter, Chaturon said the procurement should be cancelled by the government to prevent future damage. 

And this is the gang of thieves that insisted the rice scheme could not be stopped.

And this is the gang that wanted / tried to get a 3 trillion slush fund approved with no accountability for any spending.

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Indonesia - 4 submarines
Vietnam - 6 submarines
Malaysia - 2 submarines
Singapore - 6 submarines

1 - Indonesia
2 - Thailand
3 - Vietnam
4 - Malaysia
5 - Singapore

dont think this is really justification for thailand spending this money.  i dont see any benefit to thailand buying these subs. thailand is not under any threat and the money, where ever it came from should be better spent on helping the people, or not borrowed in the first place. wonder how the general thinks it will help the economy. it is not just purchasing them but the ongoing cost as well which will probably end up with them being mothballed like the aircraft carrier.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Pheu Thai have voiced their opposition to the submarine deal.

Why bother, nobody is listening.

The boys want the subs, dont give a rats a..e what anybody says.

They are not concerned about the financial burden they are placing Thailand in.

Shinawatra is just doing as she's told by her US handlers - if any subs should be bought they must come from NATO vassals and not China, that's her end game.

8 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

dont think this is really justification for thailand spending this money.  i dont see any benefit to thailand buying these subs. thailand is not under any threat and the money,

You might be unaware, but in reality Thailand is at war - although rather low intensive and not very visible in the media.

Thailand is definitely under threat from foreign powers - someone is financing the southern muslims and red shirts, among others. This will all become very visible when we approach the elections next year.

I don't think many people here think Phue Thai did a very good job, but compared to the current clowns they all of a sudden become heroes again.

Same as after previous coups by the way, instead of implementing real change and bettering the country the military just screws up more making corrupt politicians look like a good alternative.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Whether  you like it or not, the Pheu Thai still represents the views of millions of Thais.

I wouldn't say that millions of Thais have the same views as a handful of Pheu Thai cronies... In a real democracy, sure the parties represent the people, but here !!!

Millions of Thais vote for them through either ambivalence, ignorance, stupidity or coercion :)

A handful probably agree with their "goals"

:)

8 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

You might be unaware, but in reality Thailand is at war - although rather low intensive and not very visible in the media.

Thailand is definitely under threat from foreign powers - someone is financing the southern muslims and red shirts, among others. This will all become very visible when we approach the elections next year.

Even so....how would them submarines help?

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Indonesia - 4 submarines
Vietnam - 6 submarines
Malaysia - 2 submarines
Singapore - 6 submarines

1 - Indonesia
2 - Thailand
3 - Vietnam
4 - Malaysia
5 - Singapore

Well, while I am certainly no expert on logistics etc might it be  a question of geography? Only a small portion of Thailand is flanked by the Andaman Sea while other central regions face the Gulf of Thailand. Most of the other countries you mention are basically flanked by large portions of sea area. The Gulf of Thailand can be more easily protected anti-submarine measures. This is just a thought and I haven't really looked at it in detail.

45 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Pheu Thai opens fire at submarine deal

not that they would mind if the deal occured in a pheu thai government

They do mind and Yingluck cabinet rejected the submarine procurement proposal. 

1 hour ago, GBK said:

No water deep enough to operate them in.

In a conflict, they'd be on the bottom in a heartbeat because they'll be visible from the air for hours before they could dive - this assumes they magically pull a competent sub driver out of a hat.

Yep sitting ducks So who are the enemy at the gulfs opening ? As mentioned above on strengths & it certainly aint China as all of them are running scared of whilst it becomes an unwanted octopus 

They would of been better of buying a heap of Frigates from the start doing away with the aircraft carrier as the jet & bombers should  have been placed on the east/west (to the south) & north borders 

15 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

And how are submarines going to help against southern muslims and red shirts?

They going to position one in the Chao Praya river to shoot at the bridge when red shirts want to cross?

57 minutes ago, JAG said:

1. All those countries have immediate access to deep water shipping lanes which would be vulnerable to interdiction by other navies.

2. Thailands only adjacent deep water is the And a man Sea. The Submarines base is at the head of the Gulf of Thailand. To get to those waters the Thai submarines would have to pass those countries you listed - and there submarines, and their significant anti submarine defenses. They would be bottled up in the shallow waters of the Gulf.

So not only does Thailand have no requirement for submarines (other than the entirely risible idea of awing their neighbours, but they would be unusable anyway.

Yes kinda stupid to have the subs launch from the gulf of Thailand.. if they want them to be useful launch them from the Andaman. 

Probably too much of an inconvenience to build a base there too far from BKk and luxury for the ones in charge. 

Edited by robblok

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

They going to position one in the Chao Praya river to shoot at the bridge when red shirts want to cross?

The insurgency in the south (and north) is not the end game - and the argument proposed by the comment replied to was that Thailand is not under threat.

On a general note - subs are very versatile both as defensive and offensive weapon systems. (whereas aircraft carriers, such as the Carl Vinson lurking these waters, are outdated tin cans waiting to be sunk)

8 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Its clear to the more educated among us... Dubai has a lot sea. So they are going to fill a sub with highly trained commandos.. sail to Dubai and take Thaksin out .. kinda like those raids done by Mossad. :smile:

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Whilst I don't agree that buying Chinese subs is a great idea, what makes these Pheu Thai clowns think they should be dishing out spending advice !!

They have as much right as any other organisation to give their opinion on spending because Thailand is a democracy isn't it. oops i forgot