Several injured as Aeroflot flight hits turbulence before landing in Bangkok

webfact

16 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

This dramatic video shows passengers lying injured in the aisle after they were hurled up to the ceiling.

I know it sounds strange to say but it is the roof that comes down to smack you on the head. Look at some videos of the Vomit Comet for weightless training. Same thing but in slow motion. With turbulence,  you stay where you are and the plane starts sudden up, down and sideways movements around you. Keep your seat belt on and you move as part of the plane.

I flew Aeroflot one time internationally and was amazed a the lack of adherence to safety rules.  While on final approach and during landing , many people were getting overhead luggage out , some had empty passenger seats folded down playing cards , all while the flight attendants enjoyable chatted with one another.  The  obligatory safety announcements were made but they may as well have been in some alien language as no one paid any attention.  

I have made the equivalent of 5 round the world trips from Thailand to the U.S, Europe, the Middle east, and Africa in my over 45 years of air travel.

Only fools travel on an airplane without fastening their seat belts when seated.

I have had a few experiences of "Clear Air Turbulence" happen to planes I have been on in that 45 years of air travel, and I never travel without my seat belt fastened at least loosely.

I was told this by a airline pilot many years ago, never travel on a plane without fastening your seat belt when seated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubba said:

The captain didn't misread anything. This was clear air turbulence and there was no convective weather nearby, so there was no way they could have seen this coming.

Flown this route 100s of times. There is always a high risk of clear air turbulence when crossing the Indian coast on the way to Bangkok and the Thai coast. Usually the seat belt signs go on at these times. Usually it is only moderate but occasionally quite bumpy like going down in a lift with no brakes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bubba said:

The captain didn't misread anything. This was clear air turbulence and there was no convective weather nearby, so there was no way they could have seen this coming.

There is new satellite technology that will provide real time warning to pilots about possible clear air turbulence areas, effective second half 2017 ( BBC story yesterday).

I had scary experience on Cathay Taipei-Hong Kong about 25 years ago. 30 ot so injured on a Tristar, no warning at all. Terrifying. Friends groan audibly and in unison when turbulence discussion comes up and I ask " have I mentioned my experience before?" , so I guess I retell it quite often. 

Edited by Prbkk

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Always keep seat belt on when not having to move around.

It's basic.

Yes. But note that everything is happened 40 minutes before landing. Most of the people at this tome trying to visit restroom before aircraft begin descend and captain switch on "fasten seat belt" sign.

4 minutes ago, Cybervlad said:

Yes. But note that everything is happened 40 minutes before landing. Most of the people at this tome trying to visit restroom before aircraft begin descend and captain switch on "fasten seat belt" sign.

I have noticed that, a herd mentality, no sooner are people on the aircraft everyone has to go to the toilet, they can't go in the airport ? same just before landing, quick, lets have a quick pee before landing, it has always astounded me. 

What are those passengers doing out of their seats!!

I'm sorry but I've no sympathy for those passengers who regard airline safety and consider cabin crew as simply trolley dollies!

Flight crew do a fantastic job of ensuring that passengers get form a to b in safety.

Seat belts and safety demonstrations plus seat belt signs, no smoking whilst in the cabin etc are all there for a reason and so are the crew and that reason is primarily for on board passenger safety, more so than comfort.

Makes my blood boil when ass whole passengers talk whilst the safety procedure is being demonstrated by the crew plus those inpatient passengers who get out of their seats as soon as the aircraft has touched down!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

There's a reason I avoid Aeroflot like the plague. Lucky it was a 777 that didn't break into pieces.

Nonsense. What a incident like this have to do with the Airline.....ridiculous:coffee1:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I have noticed that, a herd mentality, no sooner are people on the aircraft everyone has to go to the toilet, they can't go in the airport ? same just before landing, quick, lets have a quick pee before landing, it has always astounded me. 

...or maybe they just woke up after the 5-8 hours of lights-out during the flight when most people are sleeping. As soon as the lights come, they start serving drinks and breakfast. It is a normal biological function to need to pee when one wakes up, but it may take a few minutes for it to kick in. Also, the path to the restroom is usually blocked by the service carts. And once breakfast is out on the trays, the passengers are basically trapped in their seat until the crew picks up the trays. This means that the aisles are only clear for maybe 15-20 minutes before the descent.

Maybe, just maybe there is some biological explanation for why everyone needs to pee at that time, rather than peer pee pressure. Especially since they know they will not get another chance for at least 45-60 minutes to go again. Just because you were gifted with an abnormally robust bladder, it does not mean that everyone else is so well-endowed. Some people need to go every couple hours, especially after a meal.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cybervlad said:

Possibly, however, never personaly seen that many people get up 40 minutes before landing.

On other hand seen a lot not wearing seat belts throughout a flight.

Edited by Bluespunk

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

The babies were thrown out of their mothers' arms by the force of the severe turbulence one hour before landing in Bangkok, said a source.

Perfect moment to forbid babies in planes...

Unless they travel as checked-in luggage?

• Like 1

Perhaps the woman who whined about keeping her stroller in the aisle last week and caused such a commotion will understand why they took it away. Things unsecured become flying weapons in events like this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

There must have been a few poo poo pants getting off the plane. I am positive, if I had been on it, I would have been one of them!

Agreed, turbulence quickly followed by flatulence... been in a similar circumstance over Italy once going back many years.
Dropped quite a few thousand feet before the aircraft found some clean air to stabalise.. almost weightless at one point as the crew actually put it into a steep decent to try and get pout of the pocket as soon as possible.

Almost normal for flight crew in those days as it resembled engine re-starts & in the old days what we called "windmill starts" 

of course now it's all done in simulators!

Not quite the same thrill.

Severe turbulence leaves 27 Aeroflot passengers injured, some needing surgery

It was a bumpy ride for the 313 passengers travelling on board Aeroflot flight SU 270 with video footage showing people lying in the planes aisles surrounded by food packets and other items.

One passenger, Rostik Rusev, shared the video of social media shortly after the flight.

He said he the turbulence was "throwing people around like crazy".

"Blood everywhere, people with broken bones, noses, open fractures, babies with head injuries," he said.

Another passenger, Margarita Vladimir, echoed the scenes.

"We saw so many people getting seriously hurt. There were broken legs, arms, bruised faces," Ms Vladimir told CNN.

Fifteen Russian citizens and two Thai citizens remain in hospital and three people required surgery, according to Aeroflot.

No-one sustained life-threatening injuries.

The Russian Embassy in Bangkok said those injured had not been wearing seat belts.

Full storyhttp://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/severe-turbulence-leaves-27-aeroflot-passengers-injured/8488350?section=business

-- ABC News 2017-05-02

Fifteen Russians remain in hospital after Aeroflot turbulence incident

BANGKOK, May 2. /TASS/. Fifteen Russian citizens remain in Bangkok’s hospital after the incident with a plane Russia’s flagship air carrier Aeroflot, which hit a severe air turbulence on Monday, head of the Consular Department of the Russian Embassy in Thailand, Vladimir Sosnov, informed TASS on Tuesday.

Those injured suffered multiple fractures of varying degrees. "Four people were operated on yesterday, but doctors say a few more patients will need surgery," the diplomat said. Russian Embassy employees are on duty at the hospital round the clock. "Few injured passengers speak English, so they need help even to communicate with medical personnel," Sosnov said.

The injured people’s relatives remain in the hospital as well. Many of them were traveling to Thailand with their families for vacation. "Relatives stayed in the hospital overnight," the diplomat noted. According to Sosnov, doctors promise to release some of the patients from hospital on Tuesday. However, most of them will need longer treatment, which can take from one to several weeks.

An Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Bangkok hit severe turbulence some 40 minutes before landing on Monday. A source in the Russian Embassy told TASS that at least 27 people had been injured, among them 24 Russians and three Thais.

Full story: http://tass.com/world/944117

-- Tass 2017-05-02

29 minutes ago, tonray said:

Perhaps the woman who whined about keeping her stroller in the aisle last week and caused such a commotion will understand why they took it away. Things unsecured become flying weapons in events like this.

Then why did they make smaller luggagecompartments in the front seats of an A380? (row 40). They are so small that not all passengers can stuff their handluggage in them.

8 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Then why did they make smaller luggagecompartments in the front seats of an A380? (row 40). They are so small that not all passengers can stuff their handluggage in them.

Because the less stuff you bring on the plane, the less fuel they use. They are trying to dissuade you from bringing too much.

All the media reports on this here began after the plane had already landed. But despite that, anyone else notice how the reported injury toll by the Russians started at "several", then moved up to a dozen, then up to more than 20, and finally to 27. It would seem they were trying their best to understate the situation.

Meanwhile, in these reports, there's been no mention of who the injured were, passengers vs. cabin crew. Just a hunch, if you want to talk about who's going to be standing and not belted in 40 minutes before landing, pretty much the entire cabin crew likely would be among those. So it would seem a safe bet that cabin crew are probably included among those injured.

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

There's a reason I avoid Aeroflot like the plague. Lucky it was a 777 that didn't break into pieces.

Turbulence would have hit any plane , Aeroflot or not.  The question remains if they warned about the turbulence and asked everyone to go back to their seats like they normally do . 

Also in western airliners they always tell passengers to keep seat belts on unless you need to walk or visit the toilet.

Not to spread rumours, but I was reading some aviation forums and some are saying that maybe this wasn't clear air turbulence (CAT(, and that there were indeed cumulonimbus topping at 50,000 feet in the area.

Here is the Flightradar24 track:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/su270/#d3c81af

The event happens at 2355Z. You can see that just before that, the aircraft diverted course slightly to the right, possibly to avoid weather?

If that is what really happened, then it would seem that someone is trying to lay blame on CAT rather than weather, and of course the latter can be seen and avoided.

Edited by bubba

I wonder what it was like inside the toilet when this happened?  

It's been in the back of my mind a few times when I had to rush to the toilet at 34000 feet .....