First impressions

thaibeachlovers

Back in Fun City today.

A few impressions on my arrival after 6 months away.

They still haven't managed to put any sand on the beach, and it's still vanishing, despite the big hoarding at the north end blocking the view.

The big water pumps are back on the walkway, showing just what a c**p job they made of the whole walkway fiasco.

Still loads of umbrellas on the beach, despite the "edict".

The infrastructure is still the same- broken. I was reading an article in a local paper in which the authorities were trying to attract high paying Chinese by claiming to have fixed the infrastructure- priceless ( who writes that c**p? ).

There aren't many people about. Loads of places on Buakhao were closed at 10 pm and I could walk down the street without hundreds of vehicles trying to kill me ( that was very unusual! ).

The baht buses still run on Buakhao, despite the "edict".

Not many punters in the bars, but that seems to be pretty normal, every time I come to Pattaya.

I had no problem getting a walk in hotel room, so must be low season.

I haven't made it to W S yet, but I'm expecting that to still be the same, despite the "edicts". Certainly hasn't affected the bars elsewhere.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more impressions.

If the people building Terminal 21 are correct, and there will be enough customers to make such a huge mall profitable, I pity Pattaya residents, as North Rd will become even more congested than it is at present. Probably lead to blocking Second Rd at the Dolphin roundabout with all the ensuing chaos that will cause.

I was amazed at how big it is going to be.

The bargirl situation is better than 7 months ago. I saw at least 7 attractive ones, so that makes 7 more than last time.

The cinema in Central charges 80 baht more for a ticket than the MBK cinema in Bangkok.

Hotels, even average ones, are charging almost as much as the equivalent in Bangkok. Seems the good old days of a cheap place to stay are on the way out.

Still can find cheap places, of course, but the trend is upwards.

Go to the pictures on Wednesday. 100 Baht at Major Avenue, 120 at Central Beach Rd. No reductions on popcorn, alas.

Rooms in condo blocks are the new "hotels". Asians of all hues are helping to fill the hotels and even the smaller establishments. I blame that World Wide Web thingy. I know someone who stayed at Centric Sea Condo on 2nd Road, near Hard Rock for 3 months at 11,000 Baht per month and that was Dec, Jan & Feb.

Edited by champers

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hotels, even average ones, are charging almost as much as the equivalent in Bangkok.

You've been back less than 3 days and you already have assessed the rack, walk-in and online rooms rates of all the 'average' lodgings in Pattaya.

How long did it take you to assess the same for all the 'average' Bangkok hotels so you could give us this useful comparison?

On 5/6/2017 at 5:00 PM, NanLaew said:

You've been back less than 3 days and you already have assessed the rack, walk-in and online rooms rates of all the 'average' lodgings in Pattaya.

How long did it take you to assess the same for all the 'average' Bangkok hotels so you could give us this useful comparison?

Where do I say "all"?

Try reading what I say and not go jumping to conclusions that are BS.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 5/6/2017 at 9:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Some more impressions.

If the people building Terminal 21 are correct, and there will be enough customers to make such a huge mall profitable, I pity Pattaya residents, as North Rd will become even more congested than it is at present. Probably lead to blocking Second Rd at the Dolphin roundabout with all the ensuing chaos that will cause.

I was amazed at how big it is going to be.

The bargirl situation is better than 7 months ago. I saw at least 7 attractive ones, so that makes 7 more than last time.

The cinema in Central charges 80 baht more for a ticket than the MBK cinema in Bangkok.

Hotels, even average ones, are charging almost as much as the equivalent in Bangkok. Seems the good old days of a cheap place to stay are on the way out.

Still can find cheap places, of course, but the trend is upwards.

LOL, I didn't realise that it was cheap day at MBK cinema when I went, so I guess the price is in fact the same there and in Pattaya. Sorry about that.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where do I say "all"?

Try reading what I say and not go jumping to conclusions that are BS.

You claim that "hotels, even average ones" have upped their rates and compare with their Bangkok equivalents; your use of the plural. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked how you managed to assess the rates of all the average hotels in Pattaya and Bangkok in less than 60 hours in order to make such a comparison. Note I didn't expect your assessment to include ALL the hotels. That would be an absurd claim.

Do you mean the hotel you are staying at in Pattaya right now is roughly the same price as the one you stayed in last time in Bangkok?

Again people complaining about lack of infrastructure.

Hello it's thailand not switzerland.

Most people earn too little to pay any tax.

The reason we fat old ugly expats live here is because it is cheaper than where we come from.

Drive a kia but dont expect it is going to feel like a Lamborghini.

Edited by Fulwell53

14 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I suppose we deserve a medal for being here really?

LOL.... Good one...

After all the years and years of expat bitching I have listened

to only one thing has happened that truly bothered me...

That one thing being the horrid beach promenade make-over..

The old  promenade was wonderful...It was my #1 favorite

thing about Pattaya....

My runner-up dislikes are Songkran and the screwing with

the Baht Buses...

Edited by fforest1

On 5/5/2017 at 1:28 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

authorities were trying to attract high paying Chinese

And yet the Siren call of Pattaya is irresistible to a world traveler like you after a mere absence of 6 months.

Something tells me that high-spending travelers of any nationality would not be drawn to Soi Buakhao & Walking Street or to contemplate the large water pumps or to otherwise follow in your footsteps as you revisit old haunts while doing an infrastructure assessment.

Edited by Suradit69

Just now, Pat in Pattaya said:

Six months is nothing, that's a blink of an eye, I fail to see your point. If you had said six years your thread may have been more worthwhile.

Well whats the difference with 6 years then?The Jomtien beach road got really improved and bali hai got cleared and there will be a tunnel anything else?

On 5/6/2017 at 5:00 PM, NanLaew said:

Ah yes a champion steps forth to pick up the cudgel 

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Soi bukaw should be a one way street with sidewalks on both sides.walking there now is suicide.

I agree, but then they would just park Motor bikes or food stands on the sidewalks and you'd still have to walk in the road............The one way would be good for everyone though, even minus the sidewalks.

5 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Six months is nothing, that's a blink of an eye, I fail to see your point. If you had said six years your thread may have been more worthwhile.

6 months 6 years OP is spot on the place is a dying a death as regards punters on the ground and I could list enough reasons to keep me going to midnight, just look at the latest fiasco driving more punters away from the beach in search of "thai happiness" removing umbrellas chairs and tables 2 days a week now. You couldn't make this shight up

It will get worse rest assured

Edited by Chivas

9 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

The reason we fat old ugly expats live here is because it is cheaper than where we come from.

Fat, Old, Ugly expats!!  Speak for urself thankyou. ?

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

6 months 6 years OP is spot on the place is a dying a death as regards punters on the ground and I could list enough reasons to keep me going to midnight, just look at the latest fiasco driving more punters away from the beach in search of "thai happiness" removing umbrellas chairs and tables 2 days a week now. You couldn't make this shight up

It will get worse rest assured

the reason that I would go to the beach is to sit in a chair and have a table to order lunch. why would they take 2 days of this away? Whats the reason?

Well whats the difference with 6 years then?The Jomtien beach road got really improved and bali hai got cleared and there will be a tunnel anything else?

Underpass not tunnel ^_*

2 hours ago, davidst01 said:

the reason that I would go to the beach is to sit in a chair and have a table to order lunch. why would they take 2 days of this away? Whats the reason?

Maybe so that u appreciate these  facilities more on the remaining 5 days?

5 hours ago, davidst01 said:

god alone knows but the touted bullshight is that the beach needs to be returned to the thai people in search of happiness yep simply mindboggling

On 5/8/2017 at 7:33 AM, Fulwell53 said:

Sorry, but that's wrong. There is loads of money in Pattaya to fix the infrastructure, but it doesn't get spent on that. Instead it is used for rubbish like the new promenade, the disintegrating marina, the scam car park outside Bali Hi etc etc. Also, the usual reason, that most of us know.