Medical and long stay visa

Hi

I am seeking some information / clarification about the non -immigrant visa  O-A (long stay ) 

Im 52 aussie who is medically retired and i am interested in coming to thailand on a more permanent basis if possible. ..

My question is.....

The application form for the long stay visa says you need to have a medical done..... I have a copy of the medical certificate from the thai embassy website which seems straight forward and i dont have any of the mentioned diseases but....it does say you have to be in good physical and mental health , free from any defect....being medically retired im not exactly in great physical shape as my illnesses fluctuate....some days i present ok and some days i dont...

I would like to ask the following questions 

1.How serious is the medical?

2.Can i do the medical in thailand? If i can would i go to a hospital or a local gp?

3.Can i apply for this visa from thailand and if so can i apply while im on a setv or metv?

4.Is the non -immigrant visa O-A ( long stay) a 1 year visa with the possibility of an extension?

I dont have a thai partner so the spouse visa is not an option ...at the moment anyway...

Financially i would just make it

If anyone could give me some information on this that would be great...

Thank you

Generally they want to know:

1) Do you have 3rrd stage Syphillis (blood test)

2) Do you have Elephantiasis  ? (clinical observation)

3) Do you have Leprosy ? (clinical observation)

4) Are you a drug addict or alcoholic ? (clinical observation)

5) Are you mentally stable ? (clinical observation)

I did the medical in Thailand but I am not sure all will accept (NYC USA is Ok)

You cannot apply for the O-A outside of your home country but can I believe come in on tourist Visa and then convert that to a 1 year extension providing you meet all the requirements.

The O-A Visa is a multi entry that gives you 1 year for each entry. If you exit and enter just before the expiration date of Visa you will get almost 2 years. After that you can apply for extension of stay.

Edited by tonray

Cheers tonray i appreciate your informative reply.....its very helpful

When you say do a 1 year extension on a tourist visa what do you mean? I thought you could only extend a tourist visa 30 days? Sorry but Im new to this visa game....cheers

1 hour ago, Sunnyboy1 said:

Cheers tonray i appreciate your informative reply.....its very helpful

When you say do a 1 year extension on a tourist visa what do you mean? I thought you could only extend a tourist visa 30 days? Sorry but Im new to this visa game....cheers

I believe there is a conversion process of your tourist visa but I'm not sure of the details.  If you search on retirement conversion I think you will find details 

1 hour ago, Sunnyboy1 said:

He failed to mention it is a two step process to get the extension based upon retirement.

You first have to change your tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. Then you can apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry form the visa.

• Like 1