9 years overstay

13 minutes ago, pattayahenry said:

everbody shows disregard for the law, who is drunk driving, bribing a policeman, not carrying an ID at all times, stopping a bahtbus outside of a busstop, driving a car shirtless, has no valid driving license, is using prostitutes , is drinking in bars after legal hours, or does not arrest the red bull boss, in short, everybody in thailand shows disregard for the law, thats why we come here.

You sound as if you need deporting too. In fact you sound a right catch for 'My friend me'.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pattayahenry said:

everbody shows disregard for the law, who is drunk driving, bribing a policeman, not carrying an ID at all times, stopping a bahtbus outside of a busstop, driving a car shirtless, has no valid driving license, is using prostitutes , is drinking in bars after legal hours, or does not arrest the red bull boss, in short, everybody in thailand shows disregard for the law, thats why we come here.

Might be why you came here and it will probably surprise you when I say you just might be in the minority.

Just sayin'

I often wonder if these obscene overstayers would do the same if the level of fine wasn't capped at 20,000 baht. Suspect 90% of it wouldnt happen

Edited by Chivas

16 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

I'm sure many on this board have lots of knowledge here.

However my advice would be to have your "friend" talk to a good immigration attorney and see if they could help you, uh, I mean your "friend" out of this mess.

9 years? Wow, your uh "friend" must be very forgetful...

Wouldn't go that way to be honest. I would go for, to the OP,  help your friend to get a new passport if his has expired ( or is 'lost' ) Help him with the 20,000 baht fine for the airport and help him get a ticket out, maybe a few thousand extra for 'extras' at the airport but make him aware that they might not let him go and take him to IDC while he is checked out for anything outstanding against him. In that case he is going to have further expenses and in both cases a 10 year blacklisting.

As they say in Russia, toughky shitsky.

4 minutes ago, ballzafire said:

pattayahenry wrote:

"...in short, everybody in thailand shows disregard for the law, thats why we come here."

Say WHAT?!

agree bizarre to say the least

I know a foreigner arrived 30 years ago on a Tourist Visa.

Married to a Thai.

Never had any money to pay a fine, let alone a ticket back home.

So his choice is to hand himself in and spend infinity in IDC, or stay at home with the wife.

What would you do?

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

Leaving aside the attempt to hide your identity, this is the procedure. Once the person on overstay is discovered, he is arrested and taken to court. The court assesses a fine for the overstay of up to 20,000 baht (but usually less). He is then transferred to the immigration detention center (IDC). If he has money for the fine assessed in court plus an (expensive) air ticket direct to home country, usually on the national airline, and he has a current passport (or emergency travel document) he is in principle free to be deported. If he has no money for the fine, the fine is reduced by 200 baht for each day he is held in the IDC. The Thai authorities will never pay for the deportation. These days, in most cases, the authorities in your home country will also not pay the cost of deportation. There are charities that may eventually pay the cost of deportation for the indigent, but only after years languishing in the IDC. While the IDC is not bad by the standards of Thai jails, you would need a pretty good constitution to survive years there.

If the Thai authorities cannot verify your identity, I would imagine they would hold you in a regular Thai jail until they can. Once your identity is established, see above.

Back in 2005 in Phuket, I knew a Brit fellow who got picked up for overstay of a few months. His getting picked up for OS was actually arranged by two of his close friends from the UK who were also in Phuket. The reason they arranged for his OS arrest was this fellow was "losing it"; he blew through his meager cash, had no income, owed some local Thais money who were after him, he had 4 kids he owed years of child support back in the UK and was barely surviving from funds his elderly father was sending him, which he typically used for the carnal pleasures of Phuket. So by having him arrested for OS, his pals were intervening for his own good. He was in the Phuket IDC for several weeks before his father sent the funds for his air ticket home. We visited him a couple of times to bring him food as the daily feed at IDC was fish heads and watery rice soup. He shared a cell measuring about 10 x 10m with about 15 other detainees. No bedding, one open toilet, tile flooring, open air and no AC. Not the Bangkok monkey house prison but no picnic either.

It's very easy :

- He will be sent to court
- If he can't pay his overstay fine they will convert the amount in jail time, about 150 bahts per day
- he will be sent to a Thai jail probably in pathum Thani
- After his jail term he will be sent to IDC where he will remain until someone pay a plane ticket home for him, no matter how long it takes, some People have been there for 8 to 10 years.
- Once he has the ticket they will bring him to the airport, on the basement, and once all the passengers have checked in they will bring him (handcuffed) to his sit.

These about It ! .. oh yeah and he will get the infamous red stamp.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a very informative answer.  (really).
Is it ok if I ask you how accurate you think your answer is ?
do you have a background knowledge on this subject.. or is it just what you have heard from person to person ?
anyway.. really.. thanks for your detailed answer  [emoji6]

Actually IDC does not pay your fine, you'll be in a Thai jail first at 150 baht a day. Once the fine is fully paid you'll be held in IDC until you get a ticket home

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not the one to gloat, overstaying for 9 years only shows utter disregards and disrespect

of the host country laws and rules, one can understand a few days or few weeks,

but 9 years? man, and we keep complain of how hard and uncompromising the

immigrations rules are.....

Your right of course but some people form deep attachments. For every ezzra in the world there is a counter ezzra. Its the laws of nature. 

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Hop into Cambodia when out of cash?? Love it.

Sure you could probabably get over the border into Cambodia and there you are with no cash, your words, no entry stamp, no exit stamp from Thailand and sitting at the side of the road.

It's not the movies, honestly. In the movies you turn up at the Embassy and everybody will take care of you, in real life you won't even get in the gate.

doubt i would ever get in that position but i know a couple of people who have. was about 20k for the lawyer and 20k for the fine then carry on with life as normal.  thailand has over 4000 km of boarder. most of it is wide open, especially laos.  pretty sure if you turn up to  your home embasy in phnom penh they would offer some assistance.

13 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

doubt i would ever get in that position but i know a couple of people who have. was about 20k for the lawyer and 20k for the fine then carry on with life as normal.  thailand has over 4000 km of boarder. most of it is wide open, especially laos.  pretty sure if you turn up to  your home embasy in phnom penh they would offer some assistance.

If it is the UK embassy in Phnom Penh, they will offer to contact your relatives and friends in the UK to see if they will send you money,. They will also offer you advice that may or may not be useful. That is all. 50 years ago, they might have extended loans to Brits in trouble abroad, but those days are long in the past.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If it is the UK embassy in Phnom Penh, they will offer to contact your relatives and friends in the UK to see if they will send you money,. They will also offer you advice that may or may not be useful. That is all. 50 years ago, they might have extended loans to Brits in trouble abroad, but those days are long in the past.

guess many people have abused the privateer of falling back on their overseas embassies.  

On 06/05/2017 at 6:19 AM, colinneil said:

My friend has a problem, how many times is that one posted?

If anybody is on nine years overstay, they deserve a stay in theI IDC.

It shows a total disregard for the law, total lack of respect for Thailand.

Many things here are not to our liking, but as we chose to live here, we have to put up with them.

I will never understand why people automatically assume that when someone ask a question for a friend, they are really asking the question for themselves.  The OP is anonymous <deleted>!  The name of Bluebird279 is tarnished forever!  Why would he care?  Why bother questioning it?

Actually, it might be a tactic to avoid the sanctimonious rantings that inevitably get posted on threads like this.

I knew a guy who overstayed for the gazillionth time for around two years.

He was out in the boonies and his Thai housemate called immi, he had no money, no income, no savings, no retirement or marriage visa just basically existing there as his folks back in the states mainly disowned him except for a wealthy friend. He was taken to the bKK detention centre until the overstay could be paid and he also faced deportation. The wealthy friend flew in and bailed him out and he was deported .

Here's the odd bit: he secured some job in the South so after a week in the U.S of A he went back to Thailand. I don't know how much money was involved in getting him out as in a fine but he went back and worked for almost a year then the school fired him and he overstayed again lol. He did the Malay border hop a few times before being arrested yet again, the wealthy friend flying him to bail him out yet again, and deported yet again as he had no money. Some here say there is a ten year ban but this is a true story, the guy was almost sixty too.

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

I knew a guy who overstayed for the gazillionth time for around two years.

He was out in the boonies and his Thai housemate called immi, he had no money, no income, no savings, no retirement or marriage visa just basically existing there as his folks back in the states mainly disowned him except for a wealthy friend. He was taken to the bKK detention centre until the overstay could be paid and he also faced deportation. The wealthy friend flew in and bailed him out and he was deported .

Here's the odd bit: he secured some job in the South so after a week in the U.S of A he went back to Thailand. I don't know how much money was involved in getting him out as in a fine but he went back and worked for almost a year then the school fired him and he overstayed again lol. He did the Malay border hop a few times before being arrested yet again, the wealthy friend flying him to bail him out yet again, and deported yet again as he had no money. Some here say there is a ten year ban but this is a true story, the guy was almost sixty too.

Until recently those circumstances were quite possible. Blacklisting for set terms of overstay came 'on the books' in 2011, I think.

Not sure if it is applied 100% across the board even now but it is very very likely.

i knew someone who had overstayed for about 5 yrs he was put in clink, bkk, along with others and then deported

I don't think they're really blacklisting anybody .. unless it's not your first time.

40 minutes ago, jaymbkk said:

I don't think they're really blacklisting anybody .. unless it's not your first time.

You prepared to take the risk?

A number of reports of the law being applied correctly.

• Like 1

I have spoken over the years to two people who have been through arrest and deportation.
There have been posts on here from people who have real expertise in this area. To some extent, I rely on what they have posted on the subject (for instance, regarding charities who help people in the IDC).
I am pretty sure of my facts on the basic procedure for arrest and deportation. However, I am speculating on what would happen if the Thai authorities cannot verify your identity.

I've been there, Thai jail and IDC for a 2 years overstay. It didn't happen exactly the way you describe, but pretty close.

You prepared to take the risk?

A number of reports of the law being applied correctly.

I won't make the same mistake twice ^^ but I've heard stories of long term overstayers coming back within a few weeks.

Guy was caught on overstay 6 months ago locked up. Ex wife paid fine and air ticket back to UK (nice ex wife) blacklisted for 5years. 

Was talking and drinking with him in Pattaya over Songkran this year go figure eh.

No i didnt ask him nor did he mention anything . Not my buisness, nice bloke though known him years.

Edited by jeab1980

Matter of curiosity..If there is no national airline from a deportees home country serving Bangkok, how is it handled?

For instance, with the departure of Delta and United, no US flag carrier now serves Thailand. What is done with American deportees?

15 minutes ago, dddave said:

Matter of curiosity..If there is no national airline from a deportees home country serving Bangkok, how is it handled?

For instance, with the departure of Delta and United, no US flag carrier now serves Thailand. What is done with American deportees?

Same is for Italy: no national carrier serves Thailand anymore.

Doesn't have to be a National Carrier. Any flight for your country will do.